Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 pm The Tin Golem's picture was pushed off of the page... will have to work something out. Maybe we can get someone to illustrate one of the other golems, pushing the Tin Golem entirely down to another page.
I know the tin golem now is in the correct place, so I ask, is another golem pic necessary? Because I'm making one but don't want to mess up the layout...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you do two of them, it should work out. Or four. An even number, anyway.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Adding note that my Monster Index completes what was started in FG2.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I just went through this, and noticed that a lot of creatures with special/magical abilities, don't have stars next to their HD. This is a relatively subjective thing, and I wasn't intending to proofread, so I didn't record any of it. :oops:

Nothing seems to necessarily go against precedent, it's just something I thought I would bring up.

Also I noticed:
Pg. 5 Para. 3
"... can only be hit my magical weapons..."
SB
"... can only be hit by magical weapons..."
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Alright! I'm uploading my corrections, suggestions, and questions for all creatures starting with A.

Some of my thoughts so far:

1)
The Advi naming convention is strange. The name in the stat blocks are "Advi, X", but in the text the name is just "Advi X". Is Advi a descriptor like Nazgorean or Infernal, or is that part of the name? Also the 'X' part of the name is inconsistent. One is a concrete object that does things, the other two are abstract concepts. Would X Advi make more sense?

2)
Technically the sentences about shamans and witch doctors in the Aeromi village description don't follow convention (see hobgoblins in core rules), but it still makes sense, and I didn't feel like correcting it.

3)
I think the Armorer still needs a lot of work. Looking through the old posts, I found that Solo and Dimirag are as confused as I am, and that bodmir-the-gnome is the creator. It seems like it's trying to be a variant of a mimic, but I don't know what should be done about it.
The other problem (which several monsters in both FG1, and FG2 have) is that the description only says what it does, and not what it is, or what it looks like, or how it does whatever it is that it does.
Notation
Pg. # page number

P# paragraph number

-"..." text to be changed

I"..." w/ (Pg.#), (P#) "..." inconsistency between two texts

C"..." correction text; only for strictly incorrect grammar or style, or consisteny with the core rules

S"..." suggestion text; for clarity or ease (this is usually just, like, my opinion, man)

Q("...") [question] question about quoted or changed text

N no corrections
Pg.2

P1
-"They appear as silvery spheres with faint green geometric patterns appearing on their surfaces."
S"They appear as silvery spheres with faint green geometric patterns on their surfaces."

I"They appear as silvery spheres..." w/ P4 "An Advi Charity is a cylinder of silvery metal..."
S"They appear as silvery objects..." or "An Advi Charity is a sphere of silvery metal..."

P2
-"An Advi Avenger appears as..."
S"An Avenger Advi appears as..." or "An Avenger appears as..."

I"...a single large "eye". Its sharp..." w/ P3 "beam from its 'eye' at a..."
S"...a single large 'eye'. Its sharp..."

P3
Q"... and will set fire to whatever it hits." To *whatever* it hits? or just to flammable objects? Does this include people?

P4
-"An Advi Charity is a..."
S"A Charity Advi is a..." or "A Charity is a..."

-"... with dozens of small protrusions all over its body that glow a faint orange."
S"... with dozens of small protrusions, that glow a faint orange, all over its body."
Q How does it move? The Avenger has legs, does the Charity as well? Does it levitate?

P5
I"... these protrusions, targeting any foe within 80 feet." w/ Advi, Charity Stat Block "No.of Attacks: 4 fireballs"
Q Should I assume each foe is attacked with 4 fireballs apiece?
S"... these protrusions, targeting up to 4 foes within 80 feet."

P6
-"An Advi Diligence is a..."
S"A Diligence Advi is a..." or "A Diligence is a..."
Q How does it move? It has appendages to hold tools, does it use these to walk? If so, shouldn't the No. of Attacks be reduced?

P7
N

P8
-"...with ample star or moonlight, an aeromi..."
S"...with ample starlight or moonlight, an aeromi..."

P9
-"...reaches of these forests. An Aeromi tends to carry little to allow mobility, but may..."
S"...reaches of these forests. P/ An Aeromi tends carry little, to allow mobility, but may..."

Pg.3

P1
-"... fastened about its body in between the anchor points..."
C"... fastened about its body between the anchor points..." (formal) or "fastened about its body inbetween the anchor points..." (informal)
S"... fastened between the anchor points..."

P2
-"... there will be a aeromi chieftain of 6 Hit Dice..."
C"... there will be an aeromi chieftain of 6 Hit Dice..."

P3
Q"The captured weapon will have ten charges." Why always exactly 10 charges?

P4
-"...ability during an encounter. It may also use this ability in a non-combat situation."
S"...ability during an encounter."

P5
N

P6
-"...although it can alter it's general shape to fit into a similar volume of space."
S"...although it can alter it's general shape to fit into a similar volume."

Pg. 4
P1
N

P2
-"... and also suffer energy drain."
S"... and also suffer one level of energy drain."

P3
N

P4
Q"...an amalgam may be Turned by a Cleric (as specters, but with a -6 penalty on the roll)" This is equal to turning a ghost below level 12 (impossible), harder than turning a ghost at level 12 (impossible vs 20), equal at level 13 (19 or higher), and easier than turning a ghost above level 13 (advantage of +1 or +2 or guaranteed). There's nothing confusing about this, but why do it this way? Why Not just make it turn as a ghost? Unless there are ways for a cleric to get a bonus to turning, then it changes things a lot. I just think it’s odd is all.

P5
N

P6
-"An amaroki operating equally in day or night, but generally prefers night."
C"An amaroki operating equally in day or night, but generally prefering night."
Q Is amaroki plural, and amarok singular?
S"An amarok is an active predator which prefers to hunt at night, but is equally capable during the day."

-"Due to its strength, each has a +1 bonus on damage rolls when weapons are utilized."
Q Why only when using weapons?
C"If weapons are employed, an amarok has a +1 to damage due to strength."

P7
N

Pg.5

P1
Q"... latches onto an armored host to replace armor of any sort, including magical sets." How does this happen without the host noticing? How does the original armor get to the extra-dimensional space? What happens if they just take the armorer off?

-"... functions the same as the armor it replaced, though it cannot have any special abilities of the armor."
S"... grants the same armor class as the armor type it replaced, but does not replicate any other special abilities."

P2
-"When an armorer's host is badly hurt the armorer will attack the host using the armor it has assumed; because of this, the armorer inflicts damage depending on the armor type."
C"When a host is badly hurt, the armorer will attack..."
S"When a host is badly hurt, the armorer will attack. The damage done depends on the type of armor that was assumed."
Q How does it do this damage? Is it constricting the host, or doing something else? Does it literally use the other piece of armor? If it's invulnerable to mundane weapons, then why doesn't it attack sooner? This would kill anything without a magic weapon very quickly. Why doesn’t it just do that?

-"Once the host is killed the armorer will hold the creature that died within its armored form and live off its corpse until another suitable host is found."
C"Once the host is killed, the armorer..."
S"Once the host is killed, the armorer will live off the corpse until another suitable host is found."

-"Once a host is found, the armorer will drop the corpse in a nearby location to be discovered and replace the armor that the new host is wearing."
C"Once a host is found, the armorer will drop the corpse in a nearby location, to be discovered, and replace the armor that the new host is wearing."
Q Why is the location "to be discovered"? Does it want to leave evidence? Why is there still a corpse? Why doesn’t it eat it?
S"Once a new host is found, the armorer will drop the corpse and replace the armor that the new host is wearing."

P3
-"Due to this creature's nature it can only be hit my magical weapons or spells."
C"Due to this creature's nature it can only be hit by magical weapons or spells."
Q What exactly is its nature? Magical? Is ' Due to this creature's nature...' even a necessary phrase?

-"If the creature dies on a host, the armor they were originally wearing re-appears near them, returning from the extra-dimensional space it was being held in."
Q What are methods of killing the armorer other than attacking the host? Again, what if the armorer is simply removed? How and why does the armor simply return?
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Another correction that I missed:

Pg.4
P4
-“... an amalgam may be Turned by a Cleric (as specters, but with a -6 penalty on the roll)...”
C”... an amalgam may be Turned by a Cleric (as a spectre, but with a -6 penalty on the roll)...

Q This seems to be the only instance where the UK spelling is used over the American. I prefer it this way, and that’s how it is in the core rules.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Dimirag is working on (if not finished already) images for the hay and glass golem. As mentioned in that thread, I think calling it a crystal rather than glass golem sounds better in my mind. What do others think?

Once he's finished those images and emails the higher-DPI versions to me, I'll incorporate them along with going through Clever_Munkey's edits, as well as incorporating my monster index.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like Crystal Golem too.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Working on r34. I've put in the 2 golem images from Dimirag, which of course has broken the layout again. :D I've roughly fixed it, but I'm sure Solo will have to do another pass before posting r34. I've also pasted in my Monster Index to replace the incomplete index in FG2. I had to shorten the period length on most entries, so I've pasted that fixed text back into my Monster Index to post as r2. I've re-named the glass golem to crystal. I've just started going through Clever_Munkey's edits and suggestions, it's a lot to think about. I did change the wording around for the Advi in their descriptions. The Armorer also confuses me; it can apparently survive and move around while worn by a dead host, so why even attack and latch on another host/victim?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

which of course has broken the layout again
Oops... :oops:
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/