Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Post by chiisu81 »

I only have the 2 advi images from Zoltors Inkwell :(
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

My daughter completed her version of Skeletal Legs, enjoy.
Attachments
Skeletal Legs by Jordan Vetter.png
Skeletal Legs by Jordan Vetter.png (8.48 MiB) Viewed 2939 times
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Is r43 on-track?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Trying to hammer out the flow.

There's an art piece in the Dracomander section, and I don't recognize the artist off hand; it's evidently meant to be some form of Dracomander but does not match any of the descriptions as it's four-legged. While I absolutely love the piece, I have a constitutional dislike of including art that does not represent the actual monsters, so I'm going to have to pull it.

EDIT: Specifically, a frost dracomander is six limbed plus wings; both flame and lightning dracomanders are described as giant snakes with wings (the lightning variety having two heads on serpentine necks).
Attachments
Unknown Dracomander.png
Unknown Dracomander.png (1000.5 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, not happy with the flow. This is definitely not a print release candidate. But...

Announcing!

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2, Release 43 -- November 12, 2021
I've honestly lost track of all the changes in this release, as it's been in the queue for a while, but you can check the comments thread to see what we've changed. This is not a print release candidate, as I am not at all happy with the layout; more artwork would definitely help!

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#fieldguide2

NOW... if there is art I've missed, Chi, feel free to add it. I'm not at all sure the text is solid either but I just don't have time right now to look... hoping someone like Seven (for example) will go through it and post stuff here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2 – Corrections

Page 3 – Aeromi – Stat block
Movement mentions unarmored, the description mentions that they wear little or nothing and don’t carry much.
Currently: Unarmored 30' Glide 90' Climb 20'
Suggest: 30' Glide 90' Climb 20'

Page 4 – Amarok – Paragraph 2
Awkward sentence.
Currently: Due to its strength, each has a +1 bonus on damage rolls due to strength.
Suggest: An Amarok has a +1 bonus on damage rolls due to strength.

Page 5 – Armorers – Paragraph 1
Awkward sentences.
Currently: An Armorer is a parasitic creature that resemble an elaborately-ornament armor of any sort. Armorers normally use the bodies of others to live and move, and will 80% of the time be found on a victim's body.
Suggest: An Armorer is a parasitic creature that resembles an elaborately-ornamental armor of any sort. Armorers use the bodies of others to live and move, and will 80% of the time be found on a victim's body.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2 – Comments

Page 2 – Advi, Avenger; Advi, Charity; Advi, Diligence all have stars indicating that a special weapon is needed, but none are listed. The immunity to fire and magic fire shouldn’t count for a star.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Illustrations starting on page 71 of the comments Zoltar's Hiveling there are about 10 other illustrations on the following pages by Zoltar and one by Jordan Vetter.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Page 6 – Bartleby’s Wonderous Automaton – Paragraph 1
Awkward sentences.
Currently: A Bartleby's Wondrous Automaton is a seven-foot tall steel or brass humanoid skeleton. It is a mechanical contraption, animated by extremely intricate clockwork with hot steam in the place of blood. It is theorized that it was constructed by the mad wizard and famous author Bartleby the Bard, during his later years as paranoia overtook him before his untimely and unusually mysterious death. They can frequently be found guarding the enormous amount of books Bartleby wrote in strange but wonderful library fortresses.

Suggest: A Bartleby's Wondrous Automaton is a seven-foot tall steel or brass humanoid skeleton, animated by an extremely intricate clockwork mechanism with hot steam in the place of blood. It is believed that the wondrous automatons were constructed by Bartleby the Bard, the mad wizard and famous author, during his years of paranoia, before his mysterious death. These wondrous automatons can frequently be found guarding the enormous amount of books Bartleby wrote, located in strange but wonderful library fortresses.

Page 6 – Bartleby’s Wonderous Automaton – Paragraph 4
XP Values need to lower the values for the advanced automatons to match the one star setting.
Currently: One in every 10 will be an automaton alpha (610 XP) which stands 9' tall, can breathe flame twice a day, has 6 HD, and are heavily-armored (AC 20). One in every 50 will be an automaton primus (1,480 XP) which stands 12' tall, has 10 HD, can breathe flame-infused steam 3d12 three times a day, and has an AC of 22.

Suggest: One in every 10 will be an automaton alpha (555 XP) which stands 9' tall, can breathe flame twice a day, has 6 HD, and are heavily-armored (AC 20). One in every 50 will be an automaton primus (1,390 XP) which stands 12' tall, has 10 HD, can breathe flame-infused steam 3d12 three times a day, and has an AC of 22.

Page 7 – Bazeley’s Sphere Imprisoner – Paragraph 1
Removing pronouns
Currently: On a failed save vs. Dragon Breath, all spheres in the room will fly towards the target simultaneously, encasing them in a cage of moving metal.

Suggest: On a failed save vs. Dragon Breath, all spheres in the room will fly towards the target simultaneously, encasing the victim in a cage of moving metal.

Page 7 – Bazeley’s Sphere Major – Stat block
Strange stats for Number appearing it appears that the stat block was copied for all versions of this creature, but not all the stats were updated. Also Save As is Fighter 3 for a 12* HD creature.
Currently: No. Appearing: 3d10 HD worth
Save As: Fighter: 3

Suggest: No. Appearing: 2d10
Save As: Fighter: 12

Page 7 – Bazeley’s Sphere Minor – Stat block
Strange stats for Number appearing. As the “most common form” it should have the highest number appearing.

Suggest: No. Appearing: 3d10

Page 8 – Bazeley’s Sphere Recombinant – Stat block
Strange stats for Number appearing. Since it is the “rarest form” it should be less then the others.

Suggest: No. Appearing: 1

Page 10 – Long Bear – Paragraph 2
Awkward sentences and confusing wording.
Currently: It attacks first with its claws and powerful bite. Where a normal bear can only has one pair of forelegs with which to hug, a long bear effectively has many pairs of forelegs; if both of its normal claw attacks hit, it hugs for an additional 2d6 points of damage, and may roll two additional attacks for the second pair of forelegs, doing the same claw damage as for the first. If both of these attacks hit, it may proceed to the next pair in the same way. However, a long bear may only attack and hug with one pair of forelegs if the opponent is small, at most two if the opponent is medium (i.e. man sized), and at most three pairs if the opponent is large sized. If a long bear's attacks are not all against the same opponent, it may not hug, but if both paws in one "rank" hit, it may then attack with the next rank, and even a third if both of the second-rank attacks hit. In no case can it perform a hug if it has attacked more than one opponent in the round.

Suggest: It attacks first with its claws and powerful bite. Where a normal bear only has one pair of forelegs with which to hug, a long bear effectively has many pairs of forelegs; if both of its normal claw attacks hit, it hugs for an additional 2d6 points of damage, and may roll two additional attacks for the second pair of forelegs, doing the same claw damage as for the first. If both of these attacks hit, it may proceed to the next pair in the same way. If any of the attacks miss the next pair of legs are needed for balance and the attacks stop. The opponents size will determine how many pairs of legs can be used for attacks against a single opponent. If the opponent is small one pair of legs can be used, two pair if the opponent is medium (i.e. man sized), and at most three pair if the opponent is large sized. If a long bear's attacks are not all against the same opponent, it may not hug, but if both paws in one "rank" hit, it may then attack with the next rank, and even a third if both of the second-rank attacks hit. In no case can it perform a hug if it has attacked more than one opponent in the round.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2 – Comments

Page 6 – Bazeley's Clockwork Armature – Illustration
The illustration in the middle of the description is a better match to Bartleby’s Wondrous Automaton.