Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by Dimirag »

Living Candlestick

Armour Class: 13
Hit Dice: 1*
No. of Attacks: 1 or 1 fireball
Damage: 1d3 or 2d6
Movement: 10'
No. Appearing: 1d6
Save As: Fighter: 1
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: None
XP: 37

Living Candlesticks are animated candelabras that will fight intruders. The do it by shooting tiny firedarts form its candles and by firing a small fireball every 1d6 rounds, this fireball covers a 10' radius. A safe vs. Spells for half damage is allowed.
The light of a Living Candlestick is good enough to cover twice the distance of a standard lantern.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

Edit for Living Candlestick:

A Living Candlestick is an animated candelabra that will fight intruders. It does this by shooting tiny darts of fire from its candles, and by firing a small fireball every 1d6 rounds. This fireball covers a 10' radius and a save vs. Spells for half damage is allowed.
The light given off by a Living Candlestick is enough to illuminate twice the area of a standard lantern.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Grave Dancer

Armour Class: 16‡
Hit Dice: 12***
No. of Attacks: None
Damage: None
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 10
Morale: 12
XP: 1570

A Grave Dancer is a macabre figure dressed in colored but worn and tattered fabrics. A Grave Dancer can be found anywhere there are undeads of less than 5HD, specially on cemeteries and similar places and accompanied by at least 6 undead creatures. A Grave Dancer is accompanied by a somehow lugubrious festival music to which it constantly Dances to.

All undeads at up to 60 feet of the Grave Dancer will dance to the music receiving a +3 to attack and damage rolls, saving throws and morale checks while imposing a -2 to attack rolls, saving throws and morale checks of any living individual hearing the music inside the 60 feet radio.

A Grave dancer has the same spell immunities as other undeads and can only be hit by magical weapons, but he will take no damage, instead it will disappear (with its accompanying music) for 1d6 rounds. Only a successful Turn Undead attempt, the sanctification of the place (via some spell) or the elimination of every undead will vanquish a Grave Dancer.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Love the Grave Dancer! I've revised the descriptive text as follows:

A Grave Dancer is an undead monster, appearing as a macabre figure dressed in brightly-colored but worn and tattered clothing. Grave Dancers can be found anywhere there are undead monsters having 4 or fewer hit dice, especially in cemeteries and tombs, and one will be accompanied by at least 6 such creatures. When encountered, the Grave Dancer and its attendant undead will be dancing to strange, dismal music which seems to have no source.

All undead monsters within 60' of the Grave Dancer will dance, receiving a +3 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws and a +1 bonus to morale. Living creatures within the same 60' radius of the Grave Dancer suffer a penalty of -2 to attack rolls and saving throws, and a penalty of -1 to morale. Creatures which cannot hear the music will be unaffected.

As with all undead monsters, Grave Dancers are immune to sleep, charm, and hold magics, as well as any spell affecting the mind. One can only be hit by magical weapons, but when hit the Grave Dancer suffers no damage, instead disappearing (along with its accompanying music) for 1d6 rounds. Only successfully Turning one (as a Vampire) or eliminating all other undead within the area will vanquish a Grave Dancer.

NOTE... given that you can't hit it, and it won't hit you, what is the point of the hit dice given? This critter is worth a lot of XP for something that does not fight on its own.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks for the updated text Solo

The Grave Dancer is what happens when you post the Bard and I'm listening to Grave Digger :P

It started as a standard monster but I liked the idea of making it annoying by being "unkillable" but I did not know how to port that idea to a monster with no HD.

The HD mostly works for turning attempts and saving throw values, although saving against damaging spells is unnecessary and it has immunity to some spell he could be targeted by a web or similar spell, it was originally a 5HD monster but it seemed to low for his turning resistance and saving throws, I know I could've changed that but I preferred to increase its HD instead of making notation to two separate increments.

While it does not attack the constant bonuses and penalties seemed high enough and his "no hit point" special ability seemed to merit some high HD and a 3rd star, plus, in order to vanquish him, you need to vanquish every undead companion.

I'm ok with whatever direction you feel is better to take, either lowering his HD or removing them or do some other change.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

New version

NOTE: I use the HD value for turning Vampires: 8HD as the monster's base HD, but, as noted by Solo, its a non-combative monster, so, for XP value I'm cutting it to 50% thus the new XP value instead of coming with a "special HD" value.

Grave Dancer

Armour Class: 16‡
Hit Dice: Special***
No. of Attacks: None
Damage: None
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 8
Morale: 12
XP: 360

A Grave Dancer is an undead monster, appearing as a macabre figure dressed in brightly-colored but worn and tattered clothing. Grave Dancers can be found anywhere there are undead monsters having 4 or fewer hit dice, especially in cemeteries and tombs, and one will be accompanied by at least 6 such creatures. When encountered, the Grave Dancer and its attendant undead will be dancing to strange, dismal music which seems to have no source.

All undead monsters within 60' of the Grave Dancer will dance, receiving a +3 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws and a +1 bonus to morale. Living creatures within the same 60' radius of the Grave Dancer suffer a penalty of -2 to attack rolls and saving throws, and a penalty of -1 to morale. Creatures which cannot hear the music will be unaffected.

As with all undead monsters, Grave Dancers are immune to sleep, charm, and hold magics, as well as any spell affecting the mind. One can only be hit by magical weapons, but when hit the Grave Dancer suffers no damage, instead disappearing (along with its accompanying music) for 1d6 rounds. Only successfully Turning one (as a Vampire) or eliminating all other undead within the area will vanquish a Grave Dancer.
SmootRK

Wolpertinger

Post by SmootRK »

Wolpertinger
Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 2*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws 1 bite, or charge
Damage: 1d3 claws 1d4 bite, or charge (antlers) 2d4
Movement: 40' fly 60'
No. Appearing: 1d4
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: special
XP: 75

A Wolpertinger is a winged hybrid creature usually incorporating features of rabbits, deer, squirrels, and wolves. Sometimes small ones are encountered that pose little danger, however larger specimens about the size of a large dog or wolf may be found, and these larger individuals are what is being described here. Each has wickedly sharp fangs, claws, and antlers that may be used to attack. The antlers are only used when charging (following normal charging rules for double damage), and the wolpertinger will then attack with claws and biting after such a charge.

Sometimes fey of the more wicked variety will utilize wolpertingers as mounts. Otherwise groups of wolpertingers are usually encountered deep within densely forested regions. A wolpertinger flies rather slow and clumsily, with flight being used primarily for short distances to get over impassable terrain. Arial encounters would therefore be rather rare.

A wolpertinger's pelt is similar to high quality rabbit or mink fur, but due to its rarity commands prices over 100gp just for the rough pelt. Worked fur garments are therefore much more costly as well. Antlers are often worked into objects such as knife handles or even as embellishments on bier steins.

Inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Bloodshroud

Armor Class: 12
Hit Dice: 4**
No. of Attacks: 1 whip o 1 special
Damage: 1d4 (or special)/none
Movement: Fly 60'
No. Appearing: 1d2
Save As: Fighter: 4
Treasure Type: none
XP: 320

A Bloodshroud resembles a floating man covered in a bed sheet soaked in dripping fresh blood. It takes half damage from bludgeoning weapons, and only 1 point from piercing weapons (plus any magical bonus).

A bloodshroud attacks by spraying blood at any opponent's eyes within 5' distance. An opponent hit must save vs. Poison or be blinded permanently. It can also attack by whipping with its cloak; if the Bloodshroud hits and surpasses the victim's AC by 5 points, the victim will be pulled under the shroud, where it will be paralyzed and suffer 1 energy drain per round until death (due to bloodsucking), and receive half of any damage suffered by the shroud, except for piercing or bludgeoning damage which will be normal.

While bloodsucking a victim, the shroud will only move at 20' and will not be able to fly, and will suffer a -2 penalty to Armor Class. Anytime it receives damage, the victim is entitled a save vs. Paralysis to escape.

As with all undead monsters, bloodshrouds are immune to sleep, charm, and hold magics, as well as any spells affecting the mind. It can be Turned (as wraiths) by Clerics.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Leoporid, Great
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 3*
No. of Attacks: 1 antler or 1 rake (against large only)
Damage: antler 2d4, or rake 2d6
Movement: 80' (5')
No. Appearing: 1d4 wild
Save As: Fighter: 3
Treasure Type: none
XP: 175

A Great Leoporid, sometimes known as a Jackalope King, is essentially a massively sized hare (jackrabbit) species of plains region. Each has elk-like antlers which may also be used in charging attacks (following normal charging rules). Against large opponents the great leoporid will leap and use its rear clawed feet to rake for considerable damage.

Domestication of a jackalope king is a very long and difficult process. Riding a great leoporid requires considerable skill and is a rough ride, but the great speeds make up for the discomfort. Unlike other horse-sized creatures, a great leoporid can turn quickly (having a 5' turn radius). Domesticated great leoporids are highly prized for courier mounts in plains regions. A light load for a great leoporid is up to 250 pounds; a heavy load, up to 500 pounds, however in either case specially designed saddles and bags are necessary (those designed for equines will not fit).

ImageImage
Inspiration: "Hoppers" from gamma world combined with various stuffed jackalopes found in southwest US.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?