Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
ThorinSchmidt

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

oh, sorry. Yes, I agree completely.

I was wondering though, is there a difference between serpents and snakes? otherwise, I would think they should be grouped together somehow. Unless of course, they are like frogs and toads... similar but distinct species.

and one other:

Dragon, "Drax'xion, the First Death Dragon"

i know he is unique, but still, if I were looking for dragons to populate my adventure, i'd like to have him show up as a grouping choice.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
NewbieSalmon

Post by NewbieSalmon »

I'm not too certain if this needed changing, but on Page 4 (Page 6 digitally), the creature Amarok confused me the first time around, specifically the damage dice 2D4. Never once in the No. of Attacks did it mention what kind of attack that is. It really only has a weapon attack (Which is variable, definitely not 2D4) and a bite attack (Which is 1D6), but the 2D4 was never referenced.

My best guess is that 2D4 is supposed to some sort of physical attack, like punching or kicking. The Bruhl also has the same "Anomaly" that I noticed (And I'm sure other ones too). Again, these monsters probably won't need to be revised as I caught on pretty quickly on what these missing attacks are supposed to be (I think). It just caught me off guard a small bit. [:P]
"You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
emptying the bag of luck." - Anonymous/Panzer GMT Edition
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, 2d4 is meant to represent a generic weapon attack; it's a kind of "old school" way to do it, but basically it's some kind of extra-large club specific to this kind of monster. In the case of the Bruhl, it's probably a spear being used two handed. The GM is intended to make up his or her mind on the matter on the fly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
NewbieSalmon

Post by NewbieSalmon »

That makes sense, yeah. I suppose being a war-gamer infused the idea that I also have to follow rules as strictly written in an OSR RPG.

I really need to get into that old-school mindset. Thank you for the clarification! [:D]
"You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
emptying the bag of luck." - Anonymous/Panzer GMT Edition
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Sorry if I'm getting this in late there are some things I've found in the Field Guide 2.

Page 4
Amarok - paragraph 3; sentence 4: (and should be an)

Currently
In the lair, and amarok never fails a morale check as long as the pack leader is alive.
Should be
In the lair, an amarok never fails a morale check as long as the pack leader is alive.

Page 10
Quill-Bear – paragraph 1; sentence 2 (hindlegs should be hind legs)
Currently
This ursine creature is as massive as a typical brown bear, weighing more than 1,800 pounds and standing about 9’ when it rears up on its hindlegs;
Should be
This ursine creature is as massive as a typical brown bear, weighing more than 1,800 pounds and standing about 9’ when it rears up on its hind legs;
Page 9 and 10 this version still has Porcupine Bear and Quill-Bear, both are so similar that there doesn’t seem like much difference.

Page 16
Cockhorse – Flow issue, last line of the description is under the picture. Just noting it here to keep it in mind.

Page 29
Flow issue, the Frost Fairy image is under the Forrest Fairy description and is covering past the bottom margin of the page. Just noting it here to keep it in mind.

Page 31
Flow issue the Fell Manticore image is under the Volcano Fairy description. Just noting it here to keep it in mind. Also this should be listed as Manticore, Fell since it is an off-shoot of a Manticore?

Page 38 and 39
Flow issue, the picture on page 39 is of the Gila while the full description is on page 38, just a note to keep it in mind.

Page 40
Crystal Golem – paragraph 1, sentence 3 mentions Chain Golem.

Page 46
Hiveling – paragraph 1, sentence 1
Currently
A Hivelings is a horrid little humanoid monster about the size of a goblin but almost totally covered with dark bristles, like those of a wild boar.
Should be version 1
A Hiveling is a horrid little humanoid monster about the size of a goblin but almost totally covered with dark bristles, like those of a wild boar.
Should be version 2
Hivelings are horrid little humanoid monsters about the size of a goblin but almost totally covered with dark bristles, like those of a wild boar.

Page 49
Image under the Hezrou Infernal the image fits the description of the Malebranche Infernal better, horns and a two-tined fork.

Page 63
Pangotherium – The image in the description is a better fit for the Owlwolf.

Page 64
Phoenix – Paragraph 1 sentence 4
Currently:
It can only harmed by magical weapons, and is immune to any charm effects,
Should be:
It can only be harmed by magical weapons, and is immune to any charm effects,

Page 65
Pipe Beast – Paragraph 2
Currently:
everthing
Should be:
everything

Page 67
Resonated – Paragraph 1 sentence 6 need a coma between bolts and arrows.
Currently:
A resonated takes half damage from edged weapons and only 1 from bolts arrows or sling bullets.
Should be:
A resonated takes half damage from edged weapons and only 1 from bolts, arrows or sling bullets.

Page 85
Wolf Spider, Giant should be under Spider, Giant Wolf as it is a spider variant and not a wolf.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I am working my way through the FG2 copy Chi sent me; I had made some revisions of my own that I forgot about, and I just completed a comparison of his manuscript and mine, and am now working my way through the combined book one more time. Al, I'll review your comments; some of the things you note may already have been fixed, but it's best to be sure.

I do have one question... why is the Chipped Teacup a monster? Isn't it a magic item? I don't think I understand the point of it being a monster. If it has some behaviors that might be interesting, they aren't detailed... we're told that the enchanter or owner of the teacup will give it to his or her victim, at which point the curse will activate. I just don't get it.

BTW... Chi had removed the Long Bear, but I have retained it. I didn't want to get rid of it so much as to make it make sense in the game. R34, when I get done with it, will contain revised stats and description for that monster.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 am I do have one question... why is the Chipped Teacup a monster? Isn't it a magic item? I don't think I understand the point of it being a monster. If it has some behaviors that might be interesting, they aren't detailed... we're told that the enchanter or owner of the teacup will give it to his or her victim, at which point the curse will activate. I just don't get it.
It seems to be a misinterpretation of the intended content, which means the text should be reworked
The way I'm understanding it: The teacup is like an assassin, you give it a target and it will seek it, once found it will use hits power to be drank...

Suggested text idea:
Chipped Teacups are animated magically in a process that requires the removal of a small piece of it giving their name.

Chipped Teacups are used as a assassins, once a target is given the chipped teacup will try to approach undetected, once the target sees it it will fill itself with a tea-looking liquid.

The target must now make a save vs. Spells or feel like the compulsion of drinking the tea. Once drunk the target must make a save vs. Poison or die.
Some other thoughts:
3HD seems to much for this kind of monster, specially considering its not one that fights one on one, maybe a 1d4HD?
Remove the damage and the attack plus defensive powers and add the notion that once drunk or resisted the cup self destructs

Note: I change the text so it affects a specific target chosen by the cup creator, otherwise the cup will potentially kill any person that looks at it.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I get where you're coming from, Dimirag, but I'm still not comfortable with this "monster." It has AC 17 and 3 Hit Dice, but an attack that, the way I run my game, only has a single chance per encounter of harming the victim. Further, the victim has two saving throws (vs. Spells, to avoid drinking; vs. Poison, to avoid dying). After the victim doesn't die of the cup's "attack," what then? It has no given physical attacks, and a Morale of 1 (it would run away instantly... nothing else in the game is so cowardly) so I suppose it runs away... but then what does it do with its "life?" It's a teacup.

I like constructs as much as the next guy, but I do not get the engineering of this one. I'm strongly considering dropping it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I get what you mean, the stats does not reflect the monster's concept, combined with the way it attacks it makes it a non-viable monster

Maybe it should stay out of the FG2 until someone can give it a better shape
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

why not move it to the magic item compendium? as a one-shot magic item, it would be of more use to the game, I think.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin