King of the Autumn's Harvest

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Babarock

Re: King of the Autumn's Harvest

Post by Babarock »

I love it! King of Autumn Harvest it is.

Don't rob that little one of any of your precious time and don't let my infectious enthusiasm push you. I'm working on a temple adventure and a connected campaign world, which my kids will play test on the fly as well as monster and spell reference card project with dpelletier05. I'm patient by nature and by profession, so don't feel pressured in any way by me.

I like the 'genuine melee combat' idea for the Circle of Doom. I may have tried too hard to make every event uniform in mechanic and complexity. The events may call for some degree of ambiguity, so that the GM can imagine his/her own style, but that may, in itself, call for more explanation. The way I ran it, the combatants were dressed in wooden 'tunics' that were placed over their heads, protecting their chest and back and then given wooden sword, so no HP loss.

It's funny you should recommend imgur.com, 'cuz I just got an account there yesterday and began uploading all my BF-related artwork! Thanks for the reply, but please don't feel obligated to be swift. The forum will wait.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

This looks outstanding! I will echo Solo's reminder that for print, be sure to scan in all images at 300 DPI grayscale (even if the art itself has no shading); Lulu and Createspace work best with this.
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Talk about 'Old School"! Check out this cover I just made:
Module BF07 Cover with Painting Small.jpg
Module BF07 Cover with Painting Small.jpg (238.66 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
This is fun!
Last edited by Babarock on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Looks nicely old-school! May want to use the diagonal banner from the BFRPG logo page.
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Thanks a bunch Chiisu! I'm already in hot water with the boss. Apparently, I have a lot to learn about open source. This design was just for nostalgic fun, but its so close to the real thing that we're gonna have to tighten it up for (maybe) actually release. I've already made the change and reuploaded it above!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You're not in hot water. Lukewarm at best.

It's a nice cover, but of course we'll want one in the standard style if and when this goes to print.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Hey Dust! Got an idea I wanted to run by you. Its just an idea, mind you and I want you to weigh in before I start scrawling things down.

OK

Solo has already said that the 2 adventures (this and 'The Keep') would make a nice packaged deal. Whats better than a trilogy? I know I've heard you say you were cooking on a sequel to 'The Keep', but it occurred to me as I prepared to run my first levels into it that they were most certainly going to be killed. I think whats missing is a middle adventure and what I'm thinking is something that ties in the supernatural and the compelling story of the Captains wife.

I incorporated the Captain into their adventure with the festival and kobolds. The Captain was one of the first on the scene when they emerged victorious from the stronghouse. Would it be stretching it to write into 'part 1' that the players are permitted to play the games (even after the kobold encounter) until they reach enough EXP to level up? Then part 2 could be rigged to challenge the players with a true role-playing mystery that could boot them up to level 3 just in time to encounter the primarily combat-based grand finale at the keep! Voila! Instant trilogy.

The big showdown would be against the specter in the tower, which I think should be moved to the tower roof for a really epic backdrop to the encounter. What was she doing that led her to such a cruel fate? Why didn't she just die, instead of transforming into a vengeful monster? What corruption is feeding her (or is her presence feeding)? What is animating the skeletons and zombies? Is there something bigger and more sinister going on that is revealed in a later adventure, but can help us connect the dots here?

After this little campaign, and if the party survives, you should have a seasoned group of veterans who work together well and are all level 2-4 with a island keep to call their own. The start of a beautiful campaign. Obviously, this will lead to a heroes reception in Autumnpeak, leading us to carve out the town, with its mysteries and denizens, in greater detail.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I enjoyed reading this and will be using this as a lead in to the adventure "beneath Brymassen" in the AA1. Of course there will be some name changing so it works together but I thought I would drop a line about I'm going to use it.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Need a clarification on the latest pdf (r2_1). Is Autumn Peak a city or a village? In the introduction The author says it is a bustling village but farther down in the background he/she calls it a coastal city then in the locals section it bounces back to "enjoy confounding new arrivals with phrases that could refer to either the village or the season".

The Author bounces back and forth throughout the whole pdf so I was wondering which it is? A city will have a different vibe to it compared to a small village. Even the image of Autumn Peak is city like so should I consider it a city?
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Babarock wrote:I love it! King of Autumn Harvest it is.
"King of Autumn's Harvest"
Babarock wrote:I like the 'genuine melee combat' idea for the Circle of Doom.
I'm working on a revision, reconciling my version with yours.
Babarock wrote:Talk about 'Old School"! Check out this cover I just made:
I love this cover. Two small points:
  • Title: Either "King of Autumn's Harvest and other adventures" or something more generic that uses "Autumnpeak" in the title like "Adventures in Autumpeak" or "Autumpeak: 4 adventures for levels 1-4" or something. I'm thinking since the supplement will contain several adventures, we wouldn't want to call the whole book "King of Autumn's Harvest!"
  • The Summary: I don't think the crops would be in the stronghouse. Those would have come into the city's granaries throughout the growing season. That little stronghouse wouldn't have nearly the space required to store all the crops... The summary also focuses on "King of Autumn's Harvest" only. Perhaps even change it altogether to something that focuses on the totality of the supplement. Something like: "Give your players a new city to explore! Autumpeak is a city on a largely un-mapped continent, a last bastion of civilization for those who've traveled here by sea and would seek adventure inland! This supplement includes 4 adventures in and around Autumnpeak!
But I LOVE The artwork and the design. I understand Solo's position that this can't be the print cover, but I'd love to find a way to use it somehow...
Babarock wrote:Hey Dust! Got an idea I wanted to run by you... ....Solo has already said that the 2 adventures (this and 'The Keep') would make a nice packaged deal. Whats better than a trilogy? I know I've heard you say you were cooking on a sequel to 'The Keep', but it occurred to me as I prepared to run my first levels into it that they were most certainly going to be killed. I think whats missing is a middle adventure and what I'm thinking is something that ties in the supernatural and the compelling story of the Captains wife.
In the Lingering Keep thread, I wrote:
Dustinian wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:We should combine both modules into one work, properly formatted. The result would probably be around 18 to 20 pages long... one more related mini-module (or some expansion of what already exists) and we might get it up to printing size.
I actually have two additional adventures planned: One that takes place between the two adventures that I have fairly comprehensive notes on, and one that takes place after "The Lingering Keep" that I only have a vague idea about... I really want the PCs to use those ballistas (ballistae?) in the keep to defend Autumnpeak's harbor! I'd love to roll them all into one once complete. I'd love to see an Autumnpeak supplement in print!
So I was actually already planning on 4 adventures. HOWEVER, having said that, I'm not totally married to the middle adventure that I have notes on.
Babarock wrote:I incorporated the Captain into their adventure with the festival and kobolds.
Bear in mind that the current captain is not the same captain that locked his wife in the tower. That was the previous captain. You'll find this text in the adventure on page 11:
The Lingering Keep, Page 11 wrote:But this was many years ago. Unbeknownst to the wraith, her husband is now the 70-year-old former captain of the town guard.
Babarock wrote:Would it be stretching it to write into 'part 1' that the players are permitted to play the games (even after the kobold encounter) until they reach enough EXP to level up?
Yes, I think that would be a stretch. In my home campaign, I created a "bulletin board" of adventure hooks. Literally a bulletin board of Autumpeak citizens asking for help rescuing loved ones, seeking revenge, running kobalds out of a farmstead, etc. and had them level that way. What if we include a very brief section like that? Between "King of Autumn's Harvest" and your part 2, we could have a page or two laid out like this:
  • Introduction: A paragraph or two where the current captain welcomes the players to town, and shows them the bulletin board in case they're looking for more work.
  • Hook 1: A title for the hook, a paragraph or two of set-up, and the states for relevant monsters
  • Hook 2, Hook 3, etc.: More of the same.
  • Conclusion: A note informing GMs that their players should reach level 2 using these and other hooks before proceeding.
Babarock wrote:Then part 2 could be rigged to challenge the players with a true role-playing mystery that could boot them up to level 3 just in time to encounter the primarily combat-based grand finale at the keep! Voila! Instant trilogy.
I'm all for you writing your part 2 that takes place before "The Lingering Keep!"
Babarock wrote:The big showdown would be against the specter in the tower, which I think should be moved to the tower roof for a really epic backdrop to the encounter. What was she doing that led her to such a cruel fate? Why didn't she just die, instead of transforming into a vengeful monster? What corruption is feeding her (or is her presence feeding)? What is animating the skeletons and zombies? Is there something bigger and more sinister going on that is revealed in a later adventure, but can help us connect the dots here?
I hadn't fully fleshed this out in my mind, but I was thinking her indignant anger at her unjust treatment would have been enough to keep her in the tower. Perhaps we change her to a Ghost? The description on page 82 of the "Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game" is exactly what I had in mind for her origin... she cannot rest well. But ghosts have 10 hit die! That's the real reason I chose a Wraith, is I wanted a ghost with only 4 hit die... As far as what animates the skeletons and zombies, I did want her to be a dabbler in necromancy, perhaps self-taught in the tower during her time there, but I didn't want her to be a lich. But feel free to take some artistic license there. Just keep in mind that any back-story you do in the previous adventure could make the big reveal in "The Lingering Keep" rather moot...
Babarock wrote:After this little campaign, and if the party survives, you should have a seasoned group of veterans who work together well and are all level 2-4 with a island keep to call their own. The start of a beautiful campaign. Obviously, this will lead to a heroes reception in Autumnpeak, leading us to carve out the town, with its mysteries and denizens, in greater detail.
I also want to write an adventure after the lingering keep where the heroes must use the renovatd ballistae in their renovated keep to defend the town... but aside from that brief notion, I have no notes or thoughts...
Metroknight wrote:Need a clarification on the latest pdf (r2_1). Is Autumn Peak a city or a village? In the introduction The author says it is a bustling village but farther down in the background he/she calls it a coastal city then in the locals section it bounces back to "enjoy confounding new arrivals with phrases that could refer to either the village or the season".

The Author bounces back and forth throughout the whole pdf so I was wondering which it is? A city will have a different vibe to it compared to a small village. Even the image of Autumn Peak is city like so should I consider it a city?
He, and city. I'll standardize as I work on marrying Babarock's changes with mine.

Let us know how it goes as you run it!
Dustinian