AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Adventure Anthology 2

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, further commentary.

Dawnivia, you have a lot of, frankly, rather modern game mechanics in your adventures. Rolls for things that I would prefer to see presented either using existing mechanics or left to the GM to adjudicate. There are a bunch of places where you call for ability checks with a given target number, much like a DC from 3.x era games; we don't generally do things that way in the old school.

The material is overall pretty good, but before I'm willing to put AA2 into print, we're going to have to do some rewriting. Please don't take this personally... you may run your own game as you see fit, as always. However, materials published by the Basic Fantasy Project need to stay a little closer to the published rules.

I will encourage you to write down the workings of your ability checks in supplement form. There are surely others who would like the way you do things, and I'd be more than happy to give you a Showcase account so you can post your materials there.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I am uploading R10 now. It adds Temple at Hillman Point as well as Dawnivia's two adventures. I've made some revisions to the latter two adventures, but it's just a start at standardizing them. I also incorporated Dimirag's Gargoyle image on the cover page; I think he meant it for Hillman Point but the flow there doesn't leave room for art without adding a half-blank page. I may move it later, as the flow may change with further revisions.

Also, Al Vetter did some editing on earlier parts of the module, and those edits should all be in this release.

As always, the current release is in the first post.
Dawnivia the Red

Post by Dawnivia the Red »

Solomoriah wrote:Okay, further commentary.

Dawnivia, you have a lot of, frankly, rather modern game mechanics in your adventures. Rolls for things that I would prefer to see presented either using existing mechanics or left to the GM to adjudicate. There are a bunch of places where you call for ability checks with a given target number, much like a DC from 3.x era games; we don't generally do things that way in the old school.

The material is overall pretty good, but before I'm willing to put AA2 into print, we're going to have to do some rewriting. Please don't take this personally... you may run your own game as you see fit, as always. However, materials published by the Basic Fantasy Project need to stay a little closer to the published rules.

I will encourage you to write down the workings of your ability checks in supplement form. There are surely others who would like the way you do things, and I'd be more than happy to give you a Showcase account so you can post your materials there.
Solomoriah, thanks for the feedback! And I don't take it personally at all. (I work in publishing and therefore editing, revisions, feedback, etc. are all part of the process). It is all part of learning how to write better adventures. :)

I suppose that I've written adventures for 3.5 and 3.75 quite a bit over the past two or three years so I'm still working out the kinks of simplifying my writing style to the BFRPG system! I can try to make all those changes you suggested over the coming weeks. I could do it directly in the .otr of AA2 and then re-upload it here, or I could just make all the changes in my own versions (which means you would have to update them a second time in the AA2 doc)

As far as ability checks, would it be better to simply suggest an ability check with no DC at all? Or should I mostly leave those suggestions out completely and allow GMs to decide how to run each situation? I know the BFRPG core rule book has a table for simple miscellaneous ability checks that replace the concept of DC checks in "newer" style games.

Also, how would we apply this concept of ability checks to the contests at the beginning of "Horror at the Pumpkin Festival?" How do you feel about the contest rules created for the adventure?

And having a Showcase account would be great! Just let me know what it exactly entails on my part.

Thanks again! Let me know if there are any other changes or updates that need to be made.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'd say start with some short re-writes, and post them here; that way Solo and others can weigh in with suggestions before you tackle bigger revisions.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ability checks for the activities at the celebration are fine, as long as you explain everything that is needed; there are no standard rules for those sorts of activities.

Rumors are generally presented as a table of things the player character might learn. If any roll is used, it should be a Reaction roll as described in the rulebook, with different results indicating different amounts of information (or the delivery of false rumors, if the NPC really dislikes the PC).

Pretty much all the normal adventuring activities should stick to standard or semi-standard methods, i.e. saving throws, attack rolls, or possibly the optional ability roll system from the Core Rules.

Edit the AA2 ODT, and send your revision to me directly by email; I'll fix any formatting or flow issues and push it back to the first post.
Dawnivia the Red

Solomoriah wrote:Ability checks for the activities at the celebration are fine, as long as you explain everything that is needed; there are no standard rules for those sorts of activities.

Rumors are generally presented as a table of things the player character might learn. If any roll is used, it should be a Reaction roll as described in the rulebook, with different results indicating different amounts of information (or the delivery of false rumors, if the NPC really dislikes the PC).

Pretty much all the normal adventuring activities should stick to standard or semi-standard methods, i.e. saving throws, attack rolls, or possibly the optional ability roll system from the Core Rules.

Edit the AA2 ODT, and send your revision to me directly by email; I'll fix any formatting or flow issues and push it back to the first post.
Sounds great. I'll get on it as soon as I get a free moment.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Dawnivia: no maps for your entries?

I'd like to see John Dutton's Drakestein Island, Fire Mountain, and Wulfrics Tomb included in AA2.

I'm hoping to submit my other works (Fane at Mount Shanaz, Reclamation of Castle Devyn, and Raid on Aquila Tower) but I need to finish and add quite a bit more detail. For Temple on Hillman Point I relied on Keith for that and he more than made me look good.
Dawnivia the Red

chiisu81 wrote:Dawnivia: no maps for your entries?

I'd like to see John Dutton's Drakestein Island, Fire Mountain, and Wulfrics Tomb included in AA2.

I'm hoping to submit my other works (Fane at Mount Shanaz, Reclamation of Castle Devyn, and Raid on Aquila Tower) but I need to finish and add quite a bit more detail. For Temple on Hillman Point I relied on Keith for that and he more than made me look good.
No, I haven't created any maps. The adventures can stand on their own. I haven't found a digital method or software I really like for creating dungeon maps yet. If you and others feel that maps are needed for these adventures I will figure something out.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If we're talking outdoor maps here, likely we can find a mapmaker to work with you. That is, an artist who draws maps. We've done this before in cases where the adventure materials were good but the maps were rough.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

For my adventure's blurb:
The citizens of Locran desperately need help figuring out what happened to Father Jacob and what strange things are coming from the temple.

An adventure for 3 to 5 characters of levels 2 to 4.

Several others have a blurb, but no note of how many characters of whatever level range.