Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post by chiisu81 »

Wug looks like the new name, I'll edit for R7.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Added Natalie's and Dimirag's recent images. "Promoted" Dimirag's credit to Artists from Proofreading. Waiting on a few more potential images and still checking stat-blocks before I send a proposed R7 to Solo.

Also started re-writes of a couple of entries to see if what I come up with as far as revisions works for Solo before extending work to other entries. Once I have something I'm comfortable showing I'll post an example entry in this thread.
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

chiisu81 wrote:Wug looks like the new name, I'll edit for R7.
Bah I got here to late. I was going to suggest: peecee
RelevantSky

Post by RelevantSky »

Jered Taikith wrote:
As in, Politically Correct? If so, then well played, Sir. :)
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

RelevantSky wrote:
Jered Taikith wrote:
As in, Politically Correct? If so, then well played, Sir. :)
Thank you kindly.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Hey if you are going to rewrite any of my entries let me know. I would like to have a say in that process.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Certainly! For those I can easily identify the author (via comments or OGL designation) I will make sure to include them in revisions, however ultimately we do need to pare down some entries. Thick skins ahoy! ;)
hurcheon

Post by hurcheon »

Nathan wrote:Hello, de-lurking here. I love the game and I greatly appreciate what the work you all are doing with the field guide. However, might you consider renaming the Wogg in the final product?

I think get what you're going for, being froglike and all, and I know it's a fantasy game, but "wog" is an real-life old racial slur. It's a little jarring to see something similar listed in the guide as " a race of nasty, brutish humanoid[s]".

My two cents.
Another vote for this, as it stood out for me in the restoral note. If it had been for a benign creature you might have got away with it, as is, best not

The trouble with pollywog as a source anyway is that is a word for a tadpole.

Could I suggest "Puddock", which is an old Scots?English dialect word for a frog or toad
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Alrighty started consolidating notes and such from the second half of this thread, will start on first half soon. I've already worked a lot on what will be R7.
SmootRK wrote:And an FYI, I had intended to remove the Shield Guardian as well because of the issue of importing high level SRD stuff directly (incongruous power levels). It needs a re-write.
Did you still want to re-write this entry or want it removed?
MedievalMan wrote:Another thing, probably a bit out of date, when Smoot was working on this we talked about adding a few of my monsters into the book (beyond the skragg and odeum, how the crimson bones ended up in the field guide without my knowing I cannot say) and was wondering if that was still a possibility? I have a few I would like to see added.
Did you have some additional monster you wanted to add?

For everyone: there's no hard deadline set for adding entries (YET), but I would like to say if you want something added you need to write it and post it soon. We're trying to get this thing moving towards prep for printing, so I don't want to have hurt feelings because anyone was sitting on a potential awesome monster that didn't make it in. ;) I want the "final stretch" of time spent on editing, corrections, artwork and THEN layout.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

chiisu81 wrote: SmootRK wrote:
And an FYI, I had intended to remove the Shield Guardian as well because of the issue of importing high level SRD stuff directly (incongruous power levels). It needs a re-write.

Did you still want to re-write this entry or want it removed?
I do not have any alternate write up on this one... I would have preferred to have someone re-do the concept from the ground up, but I have not done so myself. As it stands it is too powerful (especially as a tool for the intrepid MU), one of the toughest creatures in BFRPG if left intact.

I would probably have it removed than to include a creature so out of synch with the power curve of BFRPG stuff. Perhaps if someone was to go back to the 1e or 2e version for the importation of the creature rather than the 3e version it would fit nicer.

Just my 2cents anyhow. I would be OK with whatever is eventually done with it.

Another little issue. There was an art piece of a giant segmented snake sort of creature, but no corresponding entry. I would love to see that one get developed. Iron Snapper... it is in one of the art folders I shared with you.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?