Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post by Dimirag »

I think Codification of monsters/habitat sould be done only for "world settings" and only if they're really needed.
Not every GM will use every monster and every habitat or limit the monsters to "common habitats"
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:I think Codification of monsters/habitat sould be done only for "world settings" and only if they're really needed.
Not every GM will use every monster and every habitat or limit the monsters to "common habitats"
I don't plan to add any such info to the Field Guide except perhaps the most obvious of statements, such as 'Fungus Life' found in dark places, typically underground. In fact, when I can, I am stripping out as many constraints and excessive description as I can to leave more for the GM to imagine with.

So yes, I agree. If any codification should be done, it should be GM Campaign specific (or as you state World Guide, although none such exist for BFRPG that I know of).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm very specifically not in favor of any "World Guide" materials on the site, and I probably won't accept any for publication. I'd rather see the time spent creating things that are really easy to use, like adventures.

Seriously, who wants to run games in MY world??? Besides me, of course. Use the game as your construction kit but build your house to suit yourself and your players.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I spent a little time this morning digging up some vintage (copyright free) art to use in the Field Guide. Most of it seems to fit the style, some not so much. None of this stuff is finalized (especially page layouts with properly placed page/column breaks), and some of it is likely to go. Thought I would share how the actual file is shaping up at this point.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

@Solo: That depends on how nicely done is YOUR world, not every GM is capable of creating an entire world (or parts of it). If that where the case nobody will played in game that came with an existing Game World... Maybe this is a theme for another conversation, but seeing your posture (i respect it) i think it will be a futile talk...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I find your thesis a bit hard to follow, but if I have it right, you're saying that it depends on how good the game world is. This is undoubtedly true. The only game worlds by others I ever found interesting were the pre-publication version of the Forgotten Realms (as it appeared piecemeal in Dragon) and the original Blackmoor (as given in First Fantasy Campaign). I actually run a reimagined Blackmoor game using BFRPG as my "B" game; the Forgotten Realms, on the other hand, I find much less attractive the more I read of them. Perhaps they're just overused.

The problem I have with playing in someone else's world is learning all about it. It's easy to make mistakes, and hard to clean them up. The Blackmoor given in FFC is so basic and sketchy that I find it invigorating... I really can make much of it up as I go along.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

So, no new entries?

I guess I shall need to google-fu the dragonsfoot threads for some entries put in some time ago. Do feel free to add something, or re-post something that was previously entered in other places. 8-)
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I suppose I could cobble together some broad common animal category listings. It's a little self-serving, but it would be handy for the dice-minded hunter.
Go with a smile!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Download JN2 and take a look at its monster section.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Download JN2 and take a look at its monster section.
that is on the agenda, as well as a review of the other adventures.