Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dmasterdad

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post by Dmasterdad »

I will get on it today, and will have something soon.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yes, for FG1 just include what's in FG1, not what's in FG2 or upcoming in FG3.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

My database skills are rusty and probably 10 years out of date or I might consider doing this myself but instead of just a wandering monster table for a particular field guide why not develop a database of BFRPG monsters that gets updated whenever a new monster shows up in a module or a new field guide. With that updated database you could create any type of wandering monster table you wanted be it for FG1, fg2 or FG3. Or with the right keys you could select the right mix of monsters for a "theme" module including a wandering monster table.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

There's also the Creature List that will eventually need to have the FG2 entries added.
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Hywaywolf wrote:My database skills are rusty and probably 10 years out of date or I might consider doing this myself but instead of just a wandering monster table for a particular field guide why not develop a database of BFRPG monsters that gets updated whenever a new monster shows up in a module or a new field guide. With that updated database you could create any type of wandering monster table you wanted be it for FG1, fg2 or FG3. Or with the right keys you could select the right mix of monsters for a "theme" module including a wandering monster table.
I am not proposing a table for a particular field guide, I am saying that with each new field guide that comes out, there should be a wandering monster table incorporating all the monsters in books that came before it.
Obviously the more books come out the more monsters need to be left out but the most common monsters can be used. It will be a good way for people that use random encounters to have one random table to use instead of multiple.
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Ok so here is a sample of what it could look like.

D20 Dungeon Level 1
---------------------------------
1 Bee, Giant (BF)
2 Cockroach, Giant (FG1)
3 Darkmantle (FG1)
4 Gerbalaine (FG1)
5 Goblin (BF)
6 Green Slime (BF)
7 Kobold (BF)
8 NPC Adventurer (BF)
9 NPC Bandit (BF)
10 Orc (BF)
11 Red Slime (FG1)
12 Skeleton (BF)
13 Snake, Cobra (BF)
14 Spider, Crab (BF)
15 Stirge (BF)
16 Thulid (FG1)
17 Verman (FG1)
18 Wolf (BF)
19 Wug (FG1)
20 Zombie, Leper (FG1)

Obviously any monster can be added/removed as seen fit but you get the point.
You can roll for encounters on one table, than grab the book the monster is in instead of using multiple tables.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Following the charts in the Core Rules on pages 144-146, did we want to have separate dungeon and wilderness tables?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to see percentile tables, with most FG monsters being less frequent than Core Rules monsters. Percentiles would give us more flexibility.

As for wilderness tables, the 2d8 rolls used now could be abstracted to 2d20 to get a wider range. Remember the pyramid distribution of results for two dice... the highest and lowest numbers are much less frequent than the one in the middle.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Deovin

Post by Deovin »

I actually created a monster database (in MySQL) to index monsters (Core, FF1, and FF2 so far). Right now I only have the source and page number, but also added columns for stats. I haven't had a chance to go through and double check everything for accuracy, but can dump the contents to sql files and make them available.
Hywaywolf wrote:My database skills are rusty and probably 10 years out of date or I might consider doing this myself but instead of just a wandering monster table for a particular field guide why not develop a database of BFRPG monsters that gets updated whenever a new monster shows up in a module or a new field guide. With that updated database you could create any type of wandering monster table you wanted be it for FG1, fg2 or FG3. Or with the right keys you could select the right mix of monsters for a "theme" module including a wandering monster table.
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

Unrelated, but I have just noticed that the Lich in FG1 only has a single dagger (†) after its AC when it can only be hit by magic, and therefore should have a double dagger (‡).