Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Post by Seven »

I'm no expect. I tripped the first time I read it, but that's just me.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Ram, War

No. of Attacks: 2 horns or hooves
Damage:1d6/1d6 or 1d4

It's a bit confusing. One attack with each horn but only 1 attack with both hooves?

"It attacks with either its great horns (needing a short run or charge) or with its hooves."

Draft horses and riding horses get 2 hoof attacks, but I can see doing 1d4 instead of 2 1d3. Maybe 1d4+1 for both hooves?

Does it gets +2 on the charge? No impaling, but maybe follow up trample for 1d4 if the target does not have greater mass than the ram? What happens if one charges a band of orcs, 3 deep? Maybe the first row gets the horns but you get a chance to trample the other rows?

Maybe I'm over thinking here, but it's a fun beast.
Last edited by Seven on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

TPFox wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:58 pm I would check Grammarly. I disagree with the 1 comma version. I think 2 commas would be fine, but no commas is better because it emphasizes that all the information is important.
I agree in principle here. I wrote the Prince Frog (after seeing a particularly interesting yard decoration) and I wrote it without commas for the reason given. However, I may revise it as it's not the easiest sentence to parse.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Seven wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 am Ram, War

It's a bit confusing. One attack with each horn but only 1 attack with both hooves?

"It attacks with either its great horns (needing a short run or charge) or with its hooves."

Draft horses and riding horses get 2 hoof attacks, but I can see doing 1d4 instead of 2 1d3. Maybe 1d4+1 for both hooves?

Does it gets +2 on the charge? No impaling, but maybe follow up trample for 1d4 if the target does not have greater mass than the ram? What happens if one charges a band of orcs, 3 deep? Maybe the first row gets the horns but you get a chance to trample the other rows?

Odd. I wrote that one. It should really be 2 hooves or a single horn attack, like most other such creatures have. The damage amounts seem off as well. I would think it 1d4 hoof or 1d6 horns...

This is really skewed, so I am thinking it had a third party edit at some point that changed these... not a blame thing; most likely a simple inadvertent swap that was not noticed.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

SmootRK wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:07 pm
Seven wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 am Ram, War

Odd. I wrote that one. It should really be 2 hooves or a single horn attack, like most other such creatures have. The damage amounts seem off as well. I would think it 1d4 hoof or 1d6 horns...

This is really skewed, so I am thinking it had a third party edit at some point that changed these... not a blame thing; most likely a simple inadvertent swap that was not noticed.
I was just going to reply that 2 hooves and/or a horn attack would seem to make more sense.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Seven

Post by Seven »

Red Cap

Armor Class: 14 (14)

I don't get that. It's to say they don't wear any kind of armor?

Red Slime

So it starts as a 1 HD creature but can grow to HD 6 by feeding.
It doesn't sound like it reverts to HD 1 over time, so the bigger ones are more common?
Also, it can regenerate 1 hp per round but up to what? The total it had when encountered or the highest total it ever reached through feeding?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Roper*

Damage: 2d6

Seems light. Should probably be 3d6, but I don't have access to 1E stats.
HD 10 monster on the same page bites for 5d6.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Rot Vulture

2. It has bitten, and the victim must save vs. Poison or be inflicted by rot grubs.

Maybe change to A bitten victim must save...

3. Any victim must save vs. Poison or suffer the effects of a disease similar to a giant rat bite

Maybe make it explicit that it happens on a hit, so change to "Following a hit, a victim must save vs ...

5. A victim must save vs. Paralysis or be paralyzed for 2d6 rounds, just like a ghoul's touch (elves are likewise immune).

Maybe change to "A hit victim".

6. A victim must save vs. Spells or be inflicted by a horrid decaying odor for 1d6 days, attracting scavengers (at least one additional roll for wandering monsters during each interval).

Maybe change to "A hit victim"

His or her chances of stealth is greatly reduced, and effectively impossible when facing creatures with a keen sense of smell.

Maybe change to "Move Silently and Hide ability rolls suffer a penalty of 45, 90 against creatures with a keen sense of smell.

Rousirl

No. Appearing: 1d6

I'd add Wild 1d8.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Sahuagin

I would add that one of every ten Sahuagins is a sergeant of 3+3 HD and that every band is led by a chieftain of 4+4 HD. A lair is ruled by a king of 6+6 HD with one 3+3 HD bodyguard for each sergeant.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Victim" implies that the individual was hit. "Target" does not, nor does "combatant" or "opponent" or any other such usage. But "victim" implies that the individual was subject to the effect, in this case being hit.

That said, these things could be clearer; I'm in favor of most of your suggestions in this area, though care must be taken not to make the text awkward in the process.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org