Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post by Dimirag »

New question: How we deal with adding new monsters after the FG is finished? Do we keep adding it to the file? Create a new supplement or stop adding monsters?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Shenron

Post by Shenron »

Ya, I would like to know to.

I think the Headless Horesman should be added - that is an awesome little creature.

As well it would be awesome to see some more dragons and generic SRD clones of Eye stalk monsters and tentacle flayers.

In my Animator supplement I also added a good number of undead creatures as well.
"I react badly to fear. I don't usually have the good sense to run, or hide - I just try to smash whatever is making me afraid. It is a primitive thing, and one I don't question to much." - Harry Dresden
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

All the creatures in the list Beren made which are presently "missing" will be added, except perhaps the blackbone skeleton. I want to make sure all the new monsters from AA1 are in the Field Guide as well.

How do we add monsters after publication? The same way we do everything... we'll have a 1st Edition print release, and all releases after that will be marked 2nd Edition; the 2nd Edition will be a sort of "beta" release series until we decide we have enough new monsters to be worth the effort of getting final layout done and a new print release uploaded. That will be the "final" 2nd Edition, and all "beta" releases after that will be marked 3rd Edition (and the process continues indefinitely).

In practice, we'll reach a point where we aren't adding monsters very fast and that's where we'll call the next print release "done." These things naturally run in surges.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

So, the 3rd ED would have all the monsters from the 1st and 2nd ED? The part that concerns me is that we don't reach a saturation point where the file is just to long having lots of monsters with their pictures, that's why I said about making tomes, we ended this Field Guide and then another one can be started, so those that work on it don't have to change the previous one nor the people buying it have to buy all the monsters they already have, I don't mean dividing the current FG unless it is absolutely necessary (or just export some monsters into a future Field Guide).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am excited to have this as a printed tome. That said, for you guys who want to see an ongoing growing list of creatures, perhaps one of the more web-designer-savvy individuals might create an html or wiki sort of design to host the creations (and their art work) in a nice way? Could be a rather useful tool really.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Having all monsters in an online format, all in one place is an excellent thing, GMs can access the monsters without having to use the unfinished file (so it can be finish calmly)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:So, the 3rd ED would have all the monsters from the 1st and 2nd ED? The part that concerns me is that we don't reach a saturation point where the file is just to long having lots of monsters with their pictures,
Tell me this: Too long for what?

Right now the Field Guide is going to be around 100 pages. That's an excellent printed size, and when the 1st Edition gets to print, I doubt we'll see a huge influx of new monsters. I would be surprised if we need a printed 2nd Edition any earlier than 2-3 years after the 1st is published.

I guess I just don't see the issue here.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Long = Big, to many pages.
I don't have an issue, I was worried the file got to big with time, and that that could affect the printing price and any future editing, but if you said that that won't happen I'll trust you.

For a moment I though "what if someone makes 10 new monsters and another one makes 10 more and someone else makes 20, and what if they all get illustrated? Would that make necessary to redo the file again adding the new monsters and making the people by the new book having all the monsters they already have and a bunch of new ones?"

I know that between printable editions a lot of time can pass (so the new edition incorporates more than a few new things) but I thought that releasing in small files would allow to release more often.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If we have that large an influx of monsters, I'll consider offering an alternate, multi-volume book set. But I want the true Field Guide to always be one book.

As to printing price: Both Lulu and CreateSpace charge a premium to make the book and a small increment per page; adding pages is no big deal.
Shenron

Post by Shenron »

Is it almost ready for print?
"I react badly to fear. I don't usually have the good sense to run, or hide - I just try to smash whatever is making me afraid. It is a primitive thing, and one I don't question to much." - Harry Dresden