Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post by chiisu81 »

Was the PDF updated recently? The file size seems a lot smaller, and now it doesn't kill my system. I can't really re-size the images, as they need to be at 300dpi for print.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

chiisu81 wrote:Was the PDF updated recently? The file size seems a lot smaller, and now it doesn't kill my system. I can't really re-size the images, as they need to be at 300dpi for print.
I am largely off the internet lately, having access mostly via cellphone and occasionally at the public library. Once my new services are set up again, I can look into the process of getting this stuff running again. For now, it just is not really feasible to work on it. No ETA, but hopefully as this transition irons out, I may have a renewed zest for getting this sort of thing done.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Hey late to this conversation ( and in the same boat as Smoot with no solid internet), but I still have OpenOffice 3.3 on my computer if you want it. Don't know if it will work any better or even what version of libreoffice/openoffice is out there in the field but hey, it worked in the past and still works now.
Blisterfoot

Post by Blisterfoot »

Wow it's been a crazy year! Building a house and having a first born has kept me busy but I'm itching to get back in the swing of illustrations for the field guide... if you'll have me back after such a long leave of absence that is.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Blisterfoot wrote:Wow it's been a crazy year! Building a house and having a first born has kept me busy but I'm itching to get back in the swing of illustrations for the field guide... if you'll have me back after such a long leave of absence that is.
Of Course! I have a vacation trip that I am taking over next week (leaving Thur morn), but when I get back I shall try to at least put some links up to the latest draft I have before I had a hiatus of my own. I am wanting to get some interesting work done on this stuff with renewed vigor.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I have a few new monsters I would like to see get into a future version. Let me know when work starts again!
Blisterfoot

Post by Blisterfoot »

SmootRK wrote: Of Course! I have a vacation trip that I am taking over next week (leaving Thur morn), but when I get back I shall try to at least put some links up to the latest draft I have before I had a hiatus of my own. I am wanting to get some interesting work done on this stuff with renewed vigor.
Will you let me know when the new updated version is posted so I don't illustrate something that's already finished? Looking forward to it and I sure hope there is serious consideration for making this available in print.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Proposed R3:
1. Removed blank pages
2. Inserted Shonuff's Grick image
3. Ankheg: 3rd paragraph, added needed space after comma
4. Ant Lion, Giant: removed stats below the stat block
5. Behir: removed space in damage line
6. Canein: changed "leanly muscled" to "lean"
7. Couatl: corrected to "deity"
8. Demon, Succubus: corrected to "a humanoid"
9. Devourer: corrected to "a tiny"
10. Ettercap: 3rd paragraph, corrected to "ettercap"
11. Gump: corrected to "featureless"
12. Gump: corrected to "gump suffers"
13. Gump: corrected to "their"
14. Gump: corrected to "victims"
15. Hyenodon: made spelling consistent
16. Illusion Trapper: corrected to "an animal"
17. Leper Zombie: removed extra space
18. Otyugh: corrected to "diseased"
19. Red Cap: removed extra space
20. Rot Vulture: result #2, removed refernce to Old Dungeoneer's Almanac
21. Rot Vulture: result #6, re-worded
22. Rot Vulture: last paragraph, corrected to "and hearing"
23. Rousirl: corrected to "biting"

Demon, Glabrezu; Demon, Hezrou; Demon, Vrock: we need write-ups for these entries otherwise they need to be removed
Devourer: munnies?
Prince Frog: needs XP value
I can't figure out how to get the OGL license to fit on one page
Last edited by chiisu81 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Try removing the spaces between lines for the licence.

On page 9 the boglin image seems to be out of place

Coatl "A couatl deals 2d8 points of constriction damage with a successful hit with it's bite attack." To me it reads that the constriction damage its from the bite, blame my bad english if I'm mistake. Should it better say something like "A successful bite allows the coatl to constrict its victim for 2d6 damage points"?

This means that after a constriction the coatl must again succeed in the bite attack to constrict again? Otherwise it should say something like "A successful bite allows the coatl to grip its victim. A gripped victim can be constricted for 2d6 damage points".

Devourer: munnies -> mummies.
Grimlock: "Negating a grimlock’s sense of smell or hearing reduces this ability to fight" change to "his ability to fight"?
Homunculus: "They are extensions of their creators, sharing the same alignment and basic nature." Change to "sharing their base nature"?
Leper Zombie "More agile then other types of zombies" Change to "than"?

Some monsters have their damage combined with the multiplier representing the amount of attacks, like 1d6x2 instead of 1d6 x2 or 2x 1d6.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I was looking through Shonuff's art thread and realized 2 images had been missed: Ice Devil and Gerbalaine.
Last edited by chiisu81 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.