Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
danbuter

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 pm

How about just putting up an updated version without art, so we can use the monsters? No point in having them if no one can see them.
SmootRK

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 am

danbuter wrote:How about just putting up an updated version without art, so we can use the monsters? No point in having them if no one can see them.
I can see doing this. Let me inquire with chiisu81, whom is taking up a portion of the art/layout optimizing work to squeeze down the file size. We are still in the process of getting stuff shared and organized so that we can we concurrently on stuff without messing up each others' progress inadvertently.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

Find Me:
https://mewe.com/i/robertsmoot
See my shirt designs:
https://www.teepublic.com/user/smoot-life
chiisu81

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Yes, I'm just now getting my feet wet with all of the files needing to be re-sized, etc. We will continue work on this, we are definitely working towards getting it ready to eventually be in print!
dymondy2k

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:18 am

Hey guys I saw this under the Spined Devil and I'm not sure what it means.. (See bolded)

No. of Attacks: 1 bite or 2 blades (or horns) or spines
or by 3/2 weapon
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:51 am

dymondy2k wrote:Hey guys I saw this under the Spined Devil and I'm not sure what it means.. (See bolded)

No. of Attacks: 1 bite or 2 blades (or horns) or spines
or by 3/2 weapon
probably a remnant of conversion from 1e or later creature. In those editions it was 3 attacks per 2 rounds, meaning 1 attack on one round then 2 attacks the next round - repeating.
It probably just needs to be "by weapon".

Find Me:
See my shirt designs:
dymondy2k

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:53 am

OK I was kind of assuming that but wanted some clarification.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
chiisu81

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Omg so needy :D

Smoot what version of Open/LibreOffice are you using? When I open the document on my system, with the latest LibreOffice, I think the layout is screwing up, similar to the problems Solo had when first starting on Core Rules 3E. I'm gonna fork a copy and try to fix it up, and while layout, etc. is still in flux I may reduce or eliminate text/image wrap-arounds, etc. since most images will need to be worked on anyways for file size.
Shonuff

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 pm

The Grick

Saw this and no pic, figured i'd throw some art toward the Workshop:

SmootRK

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 am

Recently updated my LibreOffice.... wow, the Field Guide Draft got really jacked up from this.

I am trying to ease myself back into a mode of writing material (focusing more on some unfinished things, especially since Chiisu81 is helping out with this project). I am wondering if there are better publishing (FREE) software packages for doing this sort of page by page. Scribus? or another Publisher project? The Field Guide is substantially more artwork driven, with a goal of allowing our wonderful artists to showcase their efforts more prominently than the core rules allows, so using a more robust art-centric program may be a good idea.

I know it is quite a challenge when someone creates a wonderful piece of artwork to insert into this project, only to cause a massive re-rendering of text/images. This is a reason that I started using some page breaks to stop that re-ordering of the document from going just too far.

Chiisu81, likely the Field Guide is really screwy for these differences of Libre versions... Since we are at a point of having to do much tweaking, perhaps it is an ideal time to consider some new ideas/options for developing it?

Find Me:
See my shirt designs:
chiisu81

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am

Yeah I'm not really getting my head wrapped around Libre with all of these layout issues; I'm working on another project in Word, but being a single-column layout I've gotten to avoid trying to do too much within it. I may try good ole Word and see how well it compares to Libre.

I'd love to explore some other alternatives. At work we have InDesign, and while not as "open" as ODT I wouldn't doubt it could work. I've wanted to explore an XML-based production similar to what DungeonWorld did, so maybe I can test with just the text of the Field Guide going from plain-text to a 2-column 8.5"x11" layout; images would obviously have to factor in later, but for those I want to focus on getting them just scaled down enough so we can bring the final file-size way down.