0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the 0 Level Spells supplement by Sidney Parham, Nazim Karaca, R. Kevin Smoot, ckutalik, steveman, Svankensen, and Chris Gonnerman.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads. ... evelspells
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
hjmartin70

Re: 0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by hjmartin70 »

I like it. A simple method to add flavor to spellcasters without adding much power.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I love cantrips... although I usually utilize a system where the MU can produce any number of very minor effects at will (things like killing a bothersome fly/bee, lighting a pipe, interesting smoke ring shapes, etc)... things that have little real game-play effect - more role-play oriented. I will likely use this supplement as well, just to give some minor effects to low level characters (but more substantial than those i just mentioned).

Nice to see it as supplement.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
iamtim

Post by iamtim »

Yeah... this is kinda trick. I like it.
Omote

Post by Omote »

I like the idea to. Perhaps a with a little bit of polish and playtesting, this will work just fine. Nice work.

~O
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

SmootRK wrote:I love cantrips... although I usually utilize a system where the MU can produce any number of very minor effects at will (things like killing a bothersome fly/bee, lighting a pipe, interesting smoke ring shapes, etc)... things that have little real game-play effect - more role-play oriented.
I have been mulling over a similar system, allowing the MU a number of cantrips equal to INT bonus times level or just INT plus level. If I used this system then non-MUs might be able to learn one or two cantrips, but it would be very difficult (1% base chance, +1% for each week of instruction by a MU, penalties for race?).
The question is if in my world magic is learned or innate? Some combination? Is a MU a MU because he/she is able to wield magic or because he/she was smart enough to learn how?
I don't mind magic being common, but if anyone can do it, what makes MUs special?
I have to think about that.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

New Orison:

Protect - Individual touched is protected against next attack or damaging event, reducing damage by one point (one point minimum). Effect lasts until successful attack strikes (or is otherwise subject to damage such as a fall, trap, etc.) or a number of rounds equal to caster's level. Only one instance of this orison may be in effect at any given time.

alternatively as a MU Cantrip:
Minor Shield - Caster (only the caster) is protected against next attack or damaging event, reducing damage by one point (one point minimum). Effect lasts until success attack strikes (or is otherwise subject to damage such as a fall, trap, etc.) or a number of rounds equal to the caster's level. Only one instance of this cantrip may be in effect at any given time.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Quick question on Meal Blessing: What does 'normally prepared' mean here? Does this preclude a 'meal' of rations?
Go with a smile!
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

I would assume that it means prepared according to the rules and edits of the religion similar to 'kosher" for the Jewish faith, or whatever the Islamic faith would call theirs. As long as the rations were not pork for instance, the faithful Islamic could use the blessing, etc.
Picking up some orc or goblin rations when you raided their village would probably not constitute it being prepared in accordance with your faith (depending on your faith of course).
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Nekron99 wrote:I would assume that it means prepared according to the rules and edits of the religion similar to 'kosher" for the Jewish faith, or whatever the Islamic faith would call theirs. As long as the rations were not pork for instance, the faithful Islamic could use the blessing, etc.
That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of. I had just assumed it would work for any normal meal.

On Islam, by the way, it's called 'halal,' and it goes much farther than just not being pork. Pork is right out, of course, but any other meat must come from an animal that is blessed as it is killed. Of course, each sect has its own variations.

It might be interesting to come up with a set of simple rules for each religion for campaign flavor.