0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Nekron99

Re: 0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Nekron99 »

Weird, where did I get it then? It plainly has the BFRPG format. But all I have is part of the print copy the file dissapeared from all my caches. Interesting supliment none the less.
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
theancient

Post by theancient »

In my system, there is no zero lvl spells spell lvl equals spell cost to cast.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

In the process of building the massive new spells document, I have incorporated the zero-level spells. Reviewing and taking into account several accounts of using such spells, the current allotment of such cantrips is way out of control.

Currently it is Level + Ability Modifier to determine the number that can be cast each day... which seems fine at first couple of levels, but is ridiculous at median to high levels.

I propose this document be changed to one more than the 1st level allotment of spells for the character, plus the appropriate ability modifier. This change should scale much better.

The only oddity of this change, is that clerics (normally acquiring 1st level spells at 2nd level), should count that first level allotment as 0 (zero) 1st level spells, so that they get 1 (0+1) spell plus any ability modifier. I think this is fair, and gives such minor servants of deities some really minor works that can be done while at first level.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

That puts the absolute cap at 10 (with 18 in the stat), most likely 8. That actually scales with the, erm, trinary variant of the source material. Given the broader access to more powerful magics (and probably quite a few knick-knacks) that should be sufficient.

I support this proposal
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:That puts the absolute cap at 10 (with 18 in the stat), most likely 8. That actually scales with the, erm, trinary variant of the source material. Given the broader access to more powerful magics (and probably quite a few knick-knacks) that should be sufficient.

I support this proposal
Well, once the spells document is produced, since I have incorporated the contents of this supplement into it, we could just remove this one altogether.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Not having that one in front of me right now, if it's not there already you'd need a section on 0-level spells - as they currently stand, they operate somewhat differently than the standard spell slots (being on-the fly cast vs. prepared casting). Although honestly, unless we need to consolidate for housekeeping, leaving it a separate item isn't a bad thing.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:Not having that one in front of me right now, if it's not there already you'd need a section on 0-level spells - as they currently stand, they operate somewhat differently than the standard spell slots (being on-the fly cast vs. prepared casting). Although honestly, unless we need to consolidate for housekeeping, leaving it a separate item isn't a bad thing.
I have since added such explanations. The other thing I added, is that they work just like other spells... not as free action things that can be done in addition to other actions. That part did not fly well in actual play... complicated things and made some potential issues (characters doing too much with their turn).

All in all, I think I substantially improved the idea of such cantrips/orisons in the sense of balance and use with those little changes. I even added additional zero-level spells. I don't mind if this document remains; it just becomes a bit of complete redundancy though... as I gathered the materials directly from this one (with only the above tweaks/fixes).
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Joe the Rat wrote:That puts the absolute cap at 10 (with 18 in the stat), most likely 8. That actually scales with the, erm, trinary variant of the source material. Given the broader access to more powerful magics (and probably quite a few knick-knacks) that should be sufficient.

I support this proposal
I like this as well.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

What is the general opinion on the orison Mend. Can it be reversed like many of the other orisons and be used to unmend something?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:What is the general opinion on the orison Mend. Can it be reversed like many of the other orisons and be used to unmend something?
I suppose, but it is such a minor effect... seems like a good ole whack against a table or wall will work to achieve the same effect (or whatever based upon the form of damage desired).

One could say the "unmend" might undo the effects of a previously cast 'mend'... but again, seems like one can achieve this with mundane ways.

Fixing a break is a good magical effect... but it is just too easy to 'break' something if one wants to do that.