0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Hywaywolf

Re: 0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Hywaywolf »

Did you replace the download link on the first post? Last night I don't remember seeing the zero level spell description and the spell lists were at the end of the document?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:Did you replace the download link on the first post? Last night I don't remember seeing the zero level spell description and the spell lists were at the end of the document?
I did. Seems before I took a hiatus from developing this (or anything), I did not bother to do any updates to the downloadable stuff.

Oh yeah... I started running into issues with being unable to upload directly to the forums. This was more prevalent in the Field Guide, which now (with various pieces of art added) now exceeds the file limitations. For some projects, I am going to have to share via links to my google.drive instead. Bad part about that, is that I don't get a # of downloads, which I like to see (helps me gauge interested in a very unscientific way).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

So what do you think about changing the mend spell from touch to range in either this supplement or the Librari magica? The cleric really gets screwed compared to the mage in both versions. The cleric gets a bunch of temple maintenance spells while the mage gets a bunch of awesome spells you can use adventuring.

Also, no one asks why you would want to use mage hand when all it does is what your own hand can do so why would you ask why would you want men or break if you can do that with your own hand.
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Per Hyway's suggestion, I can imagine mend being reversed and used as a sort of "unknot" spell instead.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK. With the overall effort to update the other spell files, that ends up including this supplement. Now, I could just copy the Necromancer's 0 level spells in here, steal the lists for the Druid and Illusionist from Libram Magica, say the Spellcrafter just uses the base M-U list, make sure everything is alphabetical, and call it a day. It'd cover the basics and we'd be done.

But ...

I would rather try to give a little distinction to each class and decide on a fixed number spells for Clerics (and Druids) and Magic-Users (and the rest). I'd also like to move some spells around a bit so each subclass has their own specialties.

So, my question: Should I just take the low-hanging fruit and hammer it out or take more time to smooth things out more?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To answer your question: Yes.

:D

Always do the low-hanging fruit first, if it does not prevent you from coming back and doing the harder bit later. Only skip it if it will cause you trouble later.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, here is the "just mail it in" edition. Basically, Druids use Cleric orisons and Illusionists and Spellcrafters use Magic-User cantrips. Necromancers are special, so they get three specialty cantrips in addition to all of those that the Magic-User gets.

Both the Druid and Illusionist get an extra cantrip in Libram Magica, but I was hesitant to use them, as they seem to be pretty powerful for zero-level spells. So, rather than making a change to the two cantrips, or risk using them unchanged, I just left them in Libram Magica and let the two classes deal with the default lists.
Attachments
BF-0-Level-Spells-Supplement-r2.odt
(28.29 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
daryen

Post by daryen »

I went through it again and:
- Changed all "feet" and "foot" to "ft".
- Added 2020 to the copyright (top and bottom).
- Changed the wording of Stench to make it clearer.
- Added the * to Bolster since it is reverseable.

Uploaded r3 to Projects.

Note that the updates (from r2) only include the following:
- Add the phrase "and related classes" to Cleric and Magic-User references in the introduction.
- Added entry that state Druids use Cleric orisons.
- Added entries that state Illusionists and Spellcrafters use Magic-User cantrips.
- Added the three special cantrips for Necromancers that were removed from the Necromancer Supplement.

There are no new cantrips created at all (as the three ported over from Necromancer aren't new). This is just a simple expansion to handle the extra classes from the Downloads page.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, I just uploaded r4 to the Projects folder. The only change was that I put all of the "ft" back to "feet" or "foot" as appropriate. Everything else is as it was in r3.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 4 -- August 24, 2020
Mike West has updated and revised this venerable supplement, improving its support for supplement classes.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#0levelspells
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org