0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Joe the Rat

Re: 0 Level Spells: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Joe the Rat »

So if it's kosher rations, we're good? I'm guessing the other piece is emphasizing the 'breaking bread' aspect of it - eating together as a way of bonding with others, celebrating the fact that you're not dead yet, etc.

Differing faiths might have differing requirements here. Gruumsh isn't going to bless it if there isn't any blood!

As an aside, I'd been toying with a Clerics and Religion supplement - giving them some color, ideas on deity systems, alternative restrictions, etc. Seemed like they weren't getting as much love as the others.
Go with a smile!
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

In my world there are three faiths, Lawful (good), Neutral (druidic),and Chaotic (evil), if the person who is eating the meal is not the same alignment as the one giving the blessing then there is no effect other than having to wait for the amen before digging in. Since the faiths are simplified, preparation and what not isn't really an issue.
In the future when my players expand out into the known world and have to deal with different cultures, say like a Lawful desert dweller, who obviously would prepare their food differently than a Lawful elf from the Greatwoods, I am not pushing the food preparation to much. Local taboos don't mean the food isn't sanctioned by the Lord in most cases, I figure he created it all, he will let you know what you should and shouldn't eat.
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I had the idea that it was simply a "blessing" made before a meal shared among the companions. However, having some sort of 'kosher' prep is certainly good for role-play... but it does not work well without a fully understood 'faith system' or pantheon.

If it were me, I would just have it as a quick prayer before a meal (saying grace)... a higher level 'Religious Meal' (lords supper/saint's feast sort of thing) could be produced for greater effect.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

That higher level meal blessing would work really well before a big battle. I agree with needing the understood faith system, but since I only use three and for the time being the boys are not allowed to play anything other than good, it works. In mixed company it would get harder, and in a multi-pantheon it would get down right confusing. My cleric of Thor, and your worshiper of Set, sit down for a meal with the Priest of Cthulhu, and the confusion begins (not that you wouldn't be confused with that mix already :roll:
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Sounds like a bad joke in the making (A cleric of Thor, a priest of Set, and a cultist of C'thulhu walk into a bar...)

I'd probably make allowances for followers within a shared pantheon, provided they aren't too antithetical. It would not be entirely amiss for Thor and Loki followers to share a blessing (Mead!), depending on how you play the myths, but Marduk and Tiamat are a bit out of bounds.

Yeah, maybe this should go over to the Clerics discussion
Go with a smile!
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

OK, keeping it strictly to the 0 level spells arena.
There was a supplement that I had downloaded way back when, that optioned allowing the M-U to cast 0 level spells pretty much unlimited times, and the M-U used a handmade wand. I can't find it anymore, it's kinda like Richie Cunninghams big brother, one season its there and the next it's gone. Anyone recall?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I think that's in Sword and Board Houserules.
Go with a smile!
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Thanks, The option on the unlimited 0 lvl spells was in there, but not the wand. I am pretty sure it was in a separate supplement.
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

It was titled "Swords and Sorcery" release 0.1 by Randall Stukey, it was a BFRPG supplement, but is now MIA. Verboten or available somewhere?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

He never submitted it for the website, and all inquiries from me have gone unanswered. I'd love to host it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org