Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't have any email from you regarding either supplement, Mr. Smoot, and I don't post anything new without an email. If you'd like either updated, just, um, send me an email? Thanks! :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I don't have any email from you regarding either supplement, Mr. Smoot, and I don't post anything new without an email. If you'd like either updated, just, um, send me an email? Thanks! :D
Actually I had thought that I had, but my gmail google-fu is proving me wrong! :o
I had been working on such an array of stuff, and I had always been in the habit of updating each incrementally in various threads (mainly to get input/commentary and engage others in the process)... so it is possible the last step of sending things directly does not happen often. And I don't do bother often anyhow... seems that every time I think something is nice and finished.. bam! there is another glaring typo or change that is needed immediately! :?

I had updated several different files over the last longest while, so I will endeavor to review my stuff for new things that could make for updated releases (or some as new Supplements).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You are operating on the basis of a false theory. Things on the download page don't have to be finished. They just need to be more finished than the previous release. Feel free to tell me any time you have a new release that is better than what you had before.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
purpleplatypus

Post by purpleplatypus »

Well, it's cool that I could contribute (however indirectly) to clearing up a misunderstanding between what I see as the two most important figures on this board! Hopefully when I start my BFRP game sometime in the coming months, I'll be able to point my players to one place for all the supplements I plan to use.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

purpleplatypus wrote:Well, it's cool that I could contribute (however indirectly) to clearing up a misunderstanding between what I see as the two most important figures on this board! Hopefully when I start my BFRP game sometime in the coming months, I'll be able to point my players to one place for all the supplements I plan to use.
FYI - email was sent for release 2 of this document, as well as the other mentioned "Additional Fighting Sub-Classes"...

but, this was just prior to Solomoriah's discourse on class proliferation. I am unsure what exactly (or when) the items may appear on the downloads page. Regardless, I will continue to share my works via forum postings, google docs/drive, and sometimes even on the downloads section of dragonsfoot where they have put up a Simulacrum section.

Or, just feel free to contact me (or other such authors).
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I've recently joined the Teluria campaign that is making use of many more supplements than I am used to so I have been reading many of them again. A couple of comments ...

What happened to the Ranger in the updated version of Quasi Classes.

Also, for a Barbarian, is a +1 to healing and some saves and a -1 to hp damage each hit worth being required to only wear leather armor, a 10% xp increase for each level and to have a taboo hung around your neck? It seems to me that you are going to get an awful lot.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:I've recently joined the Teluria campaign that is making use of many more supplements than I am used to so I have been reading many of them again. A couple of comments ...

Also, for a Barbarian, is a +1 to healing and some saves and a -1 to hp damage each hit worth being required to only wear leather armor, a 10% xp increase for each level and to have a taboo hung around your neck? It seems to me that you are going to get an awful lot.
Some time ago I split off the sub-classes out of the Quasi-Class document, so that only quasi-classes remain in that document. You can find my version of the Ranger in the "Additional Fighting Sub-Classes" document (which Solo has not put up on the downloads page, but can be found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=271
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:I've recently joined the Teluria campaign that is making use of many more supplements than I am used to so I have been reading many of them again. A couple of comments ...

For your question on the Barbaric quasi-class, nobody has put it forth like that. I suppose it is sort of akin to the Magic-User conundrum. At lowest levels, there is little benefit... a small token effect that may seem pretty inconsequential (much like a MU's one and only first level spell). But, later, the character gets more substantial protections from the choice, and this might apply to any of the classes that might take the quasi-class, even MU or Thief. But yes, a Barbaric-Fighter might actually choose to forgo the effect and instead utilize heavier and more protective armor. Remember that shield use is unaffected, and that there are no specific magical item restrictions placed upon my version of barbaric combinations (except perhaps any self-imposed taboos)...

I can say that in my home campaign, a Barbaric character is used by one of my nephews. The -1 damage to each and every attack against him and the bonus to any heals have been very effective... but then again, his character has a 16 Dex to assist as well. The character has avoided a couple of poison effects (but I don't remember if the roll was so close to be an actual factor, but the overall chance is improved).

To address your concern specifically, I suppose one's GM could re-interpret the idea behind armor restriction differently in order to make such "Barbaric-Fighters" a scoach more protection, but this example is a much more complex idea:
A barbaric character may only benefit from his or her Barbaric Toughness bonus while wearing armor one category worse than their base class allows. This means a character who can normally wear any armor, including heavy types (plate), can wear medium types (chain or equivalent) and still receive their Barbaric Toughness. A character who's base class if limited to medium armor types (chain), can only utilize light armors (leather) while benefiting from their Barbaric Toughness. Base-classes that are limited to light armor (leather) can only benefit from Barbaric Toughness when they are unarmored. Note that shield use is not affected, and a Barbaric Character can benefit from shield use normally as determined by their base-class.
But, overall, I would say that the rules still work out pretty balanced for the barbaric character. I hope these explanations and potential tweaks might be helpful in your analysis.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Been in the mode of getting a few files ready for sharing... so I have updated the file here (in first post of this thread). Still as Release 2, just improved throughout. Also, submitted to Solomoriah for updating the file on the main downloads page.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

While the r2 stands... the intentions for r3 will be a bit of an overhaul of the system (as discussed in another thread). Mechanics will likely remain intact, but I will play around with the +xx% XP going instead to a static progression, or possibly combining it all into a alternate XP system (what can be found in my House-Rules document elsewhere)...

in that system, one can combination class a little more free-form... and it seems to work well.