Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Joe the Rat

Re: Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Joe the Rat »

Sir Bedivere wrote:
Joe the Rat wrote:One of the main functions of the secondary requirements is to limit availability ...
Maybe it's strange, but I don't even think this way. Yeah, what you're saying is an important consideration in the game design, but like I said above, I've always been more concerned about whether the class felt right than limiting access to it. As far as PCs go, I don't see the point in limiting access to classes unless something just doesn't fit the campaign world. NPCs are another matter, and from that standpoint I can see making some classes more difficult to qualify for than others. Maybe I should take the stats into consideration more often.
That's the right way to look at it - concept, then mechanics, then control factors. It's something to keep in mind when you're assigning numbers. I tend to come at things from the other direction.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The second release of this document is forthcoming. It includes new quasi-classes (bard, sage) but separates the incongruous sub-classes, which will get their own supplement.

Bards still need a little polish, but they are functional. Feel free to constructively critique the work.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Finally after troubles and delays, I have finally produced the second release of Quasi-Classes that I am happy with. Find now, a fully functioning Bard (as quasi-class) in addition to substantial improvements across all the quasi-classes.

Go to the first post of this thread for the downloadable files.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=124#p1912
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Also, for another Quasi-Class (though a completely un-official offering), check out the Confessor Quasi-Class thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=389&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p9711

Fairly good concept, but it simply infringes too much to be anything other than a sort of fan-offering.
bat

Post by bat »

Nice! I had been looking for a good bard to go with a simulacrum. While Skathros has a good one for S&W, there is nothing wrong with this bard nor the other classes, thank you much!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

bat wrote:Nice! I had been looking for a good bard to go with a simulacrum. While Skathros has a good one for S&W, there is nothing wrong with this bard nor the other classes, thank you much!
Thanks... I am quite happy with the way this Bard (quasi-class) had come out. It is very flexible (by being a quasi-class). One can have a really old-school bard by pairing it with Druid, make it a lot like the modern incarnations of bard by pairing it with MU... and of course it works well as a Thief pairing, giving the rogue more things to do while skulking around and staying out of combat.

The way I designed the abilities is based more off what I can remember of the Bard's Tale games. The bard character plays various tunes to enhance others primarily... not as magical effects in of themselves. It seems more old school and works better for pairing the class with non-magical classes, than having them essentially casting various spells around (yet calling the spells Bard Songs instead).
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

ooooh Bards! I might need to check that out! Been needing one of them more as an NPC right now but good to know this is available as a PC class as well.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Of course, since releasing this I have made tweaks and additions already. Rather than upload again, here is the main thing I thought of to add to the Bard Quasi-Class... a new Bard Song.

Magic Destruction Song (crescendo) – When playing this tune, magical effects are much more destructive, granting a +1 to the effective caster level of damaging spells originating within 60' of the Bard, modifying spell effects such as range, damage, and/or duration. This song affects both allies and enemies equally. Only the highest proficiency Bard effect applies when multiple bards might play this song at same time. The empowered caster does not receive additional memorized spells or other level derived benefits, only increased effectiveness with their current allotment of damaging spells.
purpleplatypus

Post by purpleplatypus »

What is required for a supplement to be posted on the Downloads page? I'm wondering, in particular, why only release 1 of this is on the Downloads page, and no version at all of the Fighting Sub-Classes. The new versions have been out for months, why are they hidden on the forums?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

purpleplatypus wrote:What is required for a supplement to be posted on the Downloads page? I'm wondering, in particular, why only release 1 of this is on the Downloads page, and no version at all of the Fighting Sub-Classes. The new versions have been out for months, why are they hidden on the forums?
I try to update the files in the appropriate threads so they can be found as easy as is possible. Solomoriah gets to things when he can. He is busy (being a business owner), so I understand and don't stress about these things much.

I also know that given some choices as what to post up (when he does have time), Solo will opt for giving attention to adventures/modules over the other stuff.