Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

Some interesting stuff here. I like a lot of what I see. I need to digest more of this.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks, I didn't put some more explicit rules purposely, like jump distance and healing values. I felt these are better left undone so each GM can use whatever rules they like for these situations.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

OK, here is what I think of so far.. but bear in mind, these are just my initial thoughts on how I would have approached things you have here. This does not mean that you should feel that your stuff be changed to suit my thoughts here. Regardless I like seeing the way you have come up with different ideas.

Acrobat - pretty much the whole thing, although I would have broken the Acrobat skill into 2 parts. Tumble (as there is already such a skill that appears in both the Bard and in the (unfinished) Monk... just for a common sort of consistency across the various offerings (and is essentially defensive only), and another "Acrobatics" or maneuvers sort of skill that covers the rest of the sorts of things. Adding to the description of these maneuvers might include suggestions such as rappelling, parkour vaults into places that seem difficult to reach, impromptu zip-line effects (such as in movies), or other creative movements that defy a systematic "listing of possibilities". The GM is of course, able to assign various penalties or bonuses to any proposed action.

I would also probably add a little more to the description of Balance, basically noting that the success rate is based upon the width of standard strong rope (perhaps 1" diameter) that is taut, level, and secure with little wind effect. Bonuses for larger/wider, flat surfaces, more stable, etc. would be appropriate, as well as penalties for less secure, less width, sloping distances, gusty conditions, or other such difficulty factors.

Assassin - have not looked at too closely, assuming it pretty much converts the existing Assassin framework into the quasi-class sort of offering.

Medic - I like the idea of a character (any class) who can boost healing effects, but I would propose that the q-class stuff work more in line with the existing "rest and healing" rules in the core rules, only enhancing those rates/effects. I also think the "medic" name feels too modern. Perhaps some additional effects be added related to herbalism and instead make the q-class more of an Herbalist sort of character...
I could see such a character (herbalism stuff that is) even doing stuff such as handing out stimulants before battle (cocoa leaves) or even hallucinogens to enhance spellcasters to "understand the universe" better for certain bonuses with types of spells, etc.

Savage - not sure how I feel on this one yet.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks for the reply Smoot, don't worry, I know what you mean about different perspectives.

Acrobat: I didn't break the acrobatic skill to avoid having one skill with mostly one purpose (tumble = defense) and another that can be use for more things, you can divide it on one skill for defense and other for movement, but I see the falling damage reduction as a defensive thing, so they will ended on the tumble skill, and the other would be for movement, but falling is like movement right? :lol:
You could say that Tumbling is a minor skill inside the acrobatic skill (that's the way I see it).

I tried to keep the balance description simple like the thieving skills, so I didn't give any baseline as nor does the thieving skills.

Assassin: This is basically my assassin class turned into a QC, the mayor difference with the original assassin is the skill percentages, they differ from the thieve's one to show the difference in their training.

Medic: Yeah, the name its kinda.... I didn't go with herbalist to make it not that much specialized in one field. I also didn't choose any specific healing rule to allow GM freedom. If you only use the core rules then they gain increased healing after resting. If you go with a mend wounds (like mm does) they also gets more healing from that.

Savage: Weird QC, that's what happens when the TV is showing Greystock :D
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The files are now on the Showcase with a direct link to this thread.

Link to the file is: https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=57
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I decided to upload a r2 version and made a threat for it as to keep things clean.
The thread is the following: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1265
hurcheon

Post by hurcheon »

SmootRK wrote:I never really had the preconception that it would universally accepted, as it departs from the traditional way of engineering classes individually. While it is very different than 3e templates (which give a one-time alteration to a character), the quasi-class ideas is something that grows as the character levels up too.... but there are similarities to templates (in how one layers it upon the character in addition to normal choices).
To be honest, the Quasi-classes are one of the things that sells BFRPG to me. This way of differentiating classes. It suits some of the game design ideas I've used myself.

So, kudos to you and the others that developed these
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Cleaned up the first image.
Attachments
BF-Quasi-Classes-Supplement-r4.jpg
BF-Quasi-Classes-Supplement-r4.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 8142 times
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Page 16, Physical Universe, correct to "Mineralogy"
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I really hate that I never really got around to putting the finishing touches on my Monk Quasi Class. I really liked how it came together, right up to trying to figure out certain special maneuvers such as disarms, trips, etc. and how the Monk would get better at such maneuvers.

Does anyone want to take a stab at it? I would love to see this get finished and put up properly on the downloads page instead of the release 1 or 2 that still resides there. The monk was the big unfinished piece that was otherwise holding this back from being submitted to Solo... all the rest of the stuff was really substantially improved over the prior releases.

It could probably use a good editorial review as well. I likely have typos that are still unseen by own eyes.