BF Monster Cards

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Babarock

Re: BF Monster Cards

Post by Babarock »

Wow! This thread goes cold for over a year and then BAM! Clearly an interest demanding a supply. I would love to help with the layout and illustration. Only slightly less jazzed about an app than I am about printable cards. I'm biased as I work in a print shop. Haha.

To address some questions, I illustrated the artwork above in about 30 minutes starting with a pen and paper, then creating the backdrop in Inkscape, then compiling the 2 together with text and textures in Gimp. I would love to collaborate with you guys to make more awsome tools for BF GM's. Mostly, at this point, I'm just cooking on tools to jazz up my own games!

I have recently completed a sexy, new character sheet and am pushing for a GM screen that covers all the bases efficiently with good artwork. I think the NPC and spell cards (or app, if that's where were going) are also brilliant!
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

The App I am thinking about will design the standardize layout for the needed monster and you will be able to print them on to design your card..

I am more inclined on the App avenue cause it will be a lot easier to add new monsters. I will need a card background of 525px by 325px. The image zone "should" be around 250px squared. I am still not sure.

I should be able to post a template before tomorrow morning but remember.. I am not a graphic designer :oops:
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Apps that print cards? Lets do it!

Google? Apple? or cross-platform?
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Babarock wrote:Apps that print cards? Lets do it!

Google? Apple? or cross-platform?
I was thinking about a web page.. when using a database it is an Web Application ! :)

I don't know if you know web programming, but I plan to make a layout for the screen and another one for printing.. It shouldn't be too long to do with the data Dustinian sent me earlier..

Phase one is to choose the layout for the cards then link it to the database.
and make the template for printing on screen / paper
Phase two will be to add a checklist to print only the needed cards ( Personnally the feature I am looking for ). I see those page attached to my GM screen for the session's encounter...

Next, it will depend on the demands from the folks here !

On the other hand, once the layout is done, I should be pretty easy to add it to android, even though I have no experiences in that kind of programming...

Let's begin with the easiest : the webapp. next, we'll see what is needed.
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Ok, so as I told earlier, here is a first draft
note that the background image won't be that ugly !

and I have some work to do on the scale of the picture, but you'll get the Idea.

http://107.150.16.124/CardTest.html
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Just a quicknote to tell everybody that Babarock and I are in contact for the project so it should be available soon.

It anyone has idea for feature we could add, please mention it !

an example of Idea. When we will make the spellCards, we'll arrange them to be able to print a spellbook in the PocketMod Format.. It gives player a PHYSICAL spellBook for his MagicUser... I believe it adds a dimension to the experience of RPgaming for the beginner players.
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Just an update on the project. Dpelletier and I are well under way. The cards will be available on a linkable website (or possibly right here) and printable for those who would rather have a hard copy deck. They will be in full color with a tattered parchment background. Here is one of the first monster illustrations for the project.

Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Nice Art Babarock. What do you draw with. I switched from Photoshop to Manga Studio 2 years ago and find it superior to PS for drawing. And it is less than $40 on Amazon.
Looking forward to this project.

Though would really like to see spell cards.
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Hmmm. Spell cards.....

BTW, Guyon, I used to use Gimp and a Wacom tablet for my digitals, but I have recently discovered Krita. Its a free download and is my new fav for painting, cartooning and sketch work over Gimp OR Photoshop.

To answer your question directly, though, for this old-school look, I still sketch with a #2 pencil, ink with a felt tip pen and then scan and enhance by tweaking the brightness/contrast and using digital tools for shading when necessary. In the old-school style, there is no grey scale, but only black and white. Its bold and simple and cheap to print and leaves a lot to the imagination, which I think is an advantage in this context.

The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Babarock wrote: Image
Goodness gracious! This image just says old school to me. Thanks! :D
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”