BF Monster Cards

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
wynteriii

BF Monster Cards

Post by wynteriii »

I've seen a couple of systems have monster cards for easy access to monster information. Would Basic Fantasy players enjoy some cards?
chiisu81

Re: BF Monster Cards

Post by chiisu81 »

I think they can be handy in some cases for the GM.

Would it need to have a graphic on it for each monster, or not? If not, should there be a standard BFRPG title, logo, etc. on the back of each card? I think it would be easy to fit the name, stat-block and a short description on each card, and then from there can decide how many cards to fit to a sheet of paper...
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think this would be a very cool project, and if done well could be something produced for print via Amazon.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

cards were the downfall of TSR
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:cards were the downfall of TSR
i would not rely on them, but they would be cool to have as little reference tools.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

You'd spend more time searching through the cards for the monster that you wanted than you would just opening the book or searching on your computer
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Agreed with Hywaywolf.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
wynteriii

Post by wynteriii »

Hywaywolf wrote:You'd spend more time searching through the cards for the monster that you wanted than you would just opening the book or searching on your computer
I guess so. I didn't take that into consideration.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Hywaywolf wrote:You'd spend more time searching through the cards for the monster that you wanted than you would just opening the book or searching on your computer
True but I can also see them being used at the game table to save time. With cards you can have the monsters that are involved in that session/battle out and handy and you don't have to flip back and forth in the book to look up stats, etc.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I can see a use for the DM to use them if they felt they didn't use a computer, but it will be an endless need for new cards everytime someone comes up with new monsters. And its not much of a step from having cards for the DM to giving the card to the players instead of describing the critter. One of the things that turned me off to 4e when I played in a game on release day was all the cards. People were always consulting them and trying to choose between them for the best result. Instead of just playing and using their imagination. well, that and that my 1st level rogue had a card that gave me +9 to hit and I had 17 hps and endless heals.