Spells in XML Format

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dustinian

Spells in XML Format

Post by Dustinian »

Good evening!

Summary
Attached are all the spells from the "core rulebook" in XML format.

Background
I said in my first post that I wasn't sure if I'd contribute. Well, BFRPG has won me over.

I decided to write a simple .ODB (LibreOffice) database to function as a "spell book." This XML document is my "first step" toward that goal.

Now that I have all the spells from the .ODT file in .XML format, it should be pretty easy to move them over onto a table in an .ODB. And once that's done, a few forms and queries should give me a pretty functional "spell book" to manage my magic users' spells.

I'll share that .ODB when I complete it. But, in the mean time, I wanted to share the .XML in case anyone else found the data useful.

Notes
  • I omitted the DTD. This is on purpose. The XML parser I plan to use to load the XML onto tables in the .ODB chokes on the DTD.
  • I left HTML "special character" entities (e.g. –) in the "description" tag, since I plan to use the database to populate an HTML template anyway. But this means some XML parsers will choke on those entities.
  • I'm not sure if this submission belongs here in "The Workshop." I read the Submission guidelines, but they seemed primarily aimed at .ODT submissions, such as adventures, races, classes, monsters. If "The Workshop" isn't the place for a "data" submission (and what will ultimately become a "database" submission), then let me know and I'll gladly host on my own website
Hope this is helpful! Thank you for reading!
Attachments
bfrpg_spells.xml
(v1.0) All the spells from the "core rulebook" in XML format.
(104.99 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Dustinian
SmootRK

Re: Spells in XML Format

Post by SmootRK »

Workshop is a fine place to hold such materials. Thanks and Welcome!
Solomoriah does keep a tools section, so your materials might find a home there when you have it finished up.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dustinian

Spells in ODS format.

Post by Dustinian »

Summary
Attached are all the spells from the "Core Rulebook" in ODS format.

Progress Report
  • Used the earlier (admittedly, imperfect) XML to create a LibreOffice spreadsheet (ODS).
  • Corrected several issues during the migration.
Next Steps
  • Separate the "Class/Level" column into multiple, more explicit columns.
  • Create more consistently-formatted "formula" (i.e. "10'/level") on duration/range to allow a "Spellbook" database to calculate actual numbers based on character level.
  • Check all spells one-by-one against the "core rulebook," ensuring correctness.
  • Import spells into the LibreOffice database (ODB).
  • Create user forms for the "spellbook."
Comments
Notice I'm not promising any particular dates on the above. But I plan to regularly update progress and upload versions. Thank you, Smoot, for confirming that I can keep this project in "The Workshop!"
Attachments
bfrpg_spells.ods
(v1.4) All the spells from the "core rulebook" in ODS format.
(46.59 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Dustinian
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Are these from the second edition or the in-development third edition? I think this is a first big step to having an online BFRPG SRD...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not sure any of the spells have changed substantially between 2nd and 3rd, though I'd have to review the changelog to know for sure.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

@chiisu81: This is based on R79 of the core rules. I'm not sure what an SRD is, but I'm glad if anyone can use what I pull together in any way.

Status Update:
I've sat down twice now to correct some issues with the spreadsheet (some ranges, durations, etc. that I think my parser flubbed). But I've been frustrated both times by LibreOffice freezes. I'm pretty close to doing all the work is Microsoft Office and porting it over to Libre when I finish. I think Libre has been crashing because I've had Writer and Calc open simultaneously (core document in Writer, and the spell spreadsheet in Calc). So I'm going to try ONE more time with a PDF of the core rules open so that Libre only has to manage a Calc session... more to come.
Dustinian
shawnhcorey

Post by shawnhcorey »

Dustinian wrote:I'm not sure what an SRD is,...
System Reference Document: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Reference_Document
Don't stop where the ink does.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

An SRD itself is a text document of the open content of a game that can be used by others (i.e. it strips out layout, artwork, and anything else marked as Product Identity).

What most call an SRD these days is a website to easily consult the rules of a game. It's quite popular for Pathfinder, and the new one for Fate Core/FAE is outstanding. It may not be as big a desire for something like BFRPG where all content is available to us in PDF and ODT, but it could still be desirable, especially for those consulting the rules on a tablet or smartphone.