Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
gabeprime

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules

Post by gabeprime »

Dimirag wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:19 am The question on how to roll Thieving Skills on FB is one that from time to time shows its face...
I think there are mainly 2 reasons for this:
1: People skip the "Using Dice" segment.
2: On the Thief description there is no clear statement that a d% is meant to be rolled, its inferred via the 20% penalty example tho...
Should a line be added about thieving skills being a d% roll? Maybe a line directing the reader to the "Rolling Dice" text would help.
This is something I get asked about too. I agree a line to point to the Rolling Dice section at the very least is a good idea.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
TPFox

Post by TPFox »

In Blueholme Journeyman, if you flip through the monsters section, you will see that several human-ish monsters are given extra information to allow them to be used as player characters. Giving Basic Fantasy encounters this treatment (somewhere down the road - but not now when were busy getting rid of SRD) would really open up playing possibilities. Just a thought.

(This could be at least done with playable races created in the downloadable supplements - but would need of course consent from these authors...)
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I have a suggestion that could be useful for people who have found this book through Amazon first.

Would it be a good idea to have a “What’s Next” section at the back of the book? Like a list of beginner resources along with shortened URL links to them?

For example, a common question is where to get adventures. I suppose they could go to the BFRPG downloads page and get them from there. But we could also list Morgansfort, Chaotic Caves, Laughing Dragon, Blackapple Brugh as starting adventure modules alongside an easy to type shortened URL to each one to download.

Maybe a link to the YouTube videos on how to play the game and run combat encounters.

Also links to the forums, FB group and discord channel if the reader needs support.

What do you think? I can put something together that’s like that to better show what I mean.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, do that!

Not sure about link shorteners; if I'm printing it, I want to be sure the URLs will work. Also, typing URLs sucks.

... how about a page about available resources that references a single page on the Basic Fantasy RPG site? One URL leading to a page that mirrors the book page, but includes links to the actual materials.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 am Not sure about link shorteners; if I'm printing it, I want to be sure the URLs will work.
The 'free' link shorteners that have been around a long time may likely continue to work.

I've run a self-hosted open source shortener for over a dozen years and prefer that option. It helps if you already own a short domain, though.

I can also just make links for you, if you'd like.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

What's wrong with just providing a link to the downloads page? It's short enough in my opinion.
Wing_department

Post by Wing_department »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:22 am What's wrong with just providing a link to the downloads page? It's short enough in my opinion.
Yes, exactly. Maybe simply put the link to the main site ("basicfantasy.org/downloads.html")?
I don't think the specific link is necessary. The Downloads page is already well-organised and every item from the preview at the back of the book could be found there within a minute.
YouTube examples of play are a great idea, though there's not many of them, especially with good audio.
The biggest fan of Ockham's razor.
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 am Yes, do that!

Not sure about link shorteners; if I'm printing it, I want to be sure the URLs will work. Also, typing URLs sucks.

... how about a page about available resources that references a single page on the Basic Fantasy RPG site? One URL leading to a page that mirrors the book page, but includes links to the actual materials.
I was just about to post here that maybe a link to a single page into the site is probably cleaner. 😀

The good thing with a landing page is that we can easily keep it up-to-date.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 am ... how about a page about available resources that references a single page on the Basic Fantasy RPG site? One URL leading to a page that mirrors the book page, but includes links to the actual materials.
That would be really useful, a page compiling links to useful material.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I have posted the Core Rules 108.3 to the Project Folder. Solo will be able to take it and work out what he wants. I'll post my suggestions and actual corrections soon.