Mystics

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
TrickyNikki

Re: Spellswords

Post by TrickyNikki »

While in mechanics, the SS may borrow some stuff from clerics, I wouldn’t make him too closely related lore wise…

As you can imagine, we have already so many sub-classes of that ilk here, like Paladins, Divine Champions and Holy Characters. I’d advise staying with the theme of Warrior that wields magic.
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

R7 uploaded! Wrote up a bunch of new spells and changed Spellsword into a subclass of Cleric. Fits the LOTR theme better anyway, haha. :mrgreen:
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Intriguing! Thanks for sharing it here, I downloaded it.
Brimstone

Post by Brimstone »

I want to create Obi Wan Kenobi for this. :D
teaman

Post by teaman »

Brimstone wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:02 am I want to create Obi Wan Kenobi for this. :D
I was thinking of the Jedi as well!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

I like the new design! Do you think he needs a new name now? He’s so much cooler than just a Spellsword, he’s like a powerful thing, a bit more mystical! You got any titles in mind? Wanna hear mine?
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Brimstone wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:02 am I want to create Obi Wan Kenobi for this. :D
Haha I wasn’t consciously thinking of Jedi aside from with the push powers, but come to think of it, Jedi and Gandalf are really the same archetype so it makes sense.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:41 pm I like the new design! Do you think he needs a new name now? He’s so much cooler than just a Spellsword, he’s like a powerful thing, a bit more mystical! You got any titles in mind? Wanna hear mine?
Thanks! I’d definitely like to hear some alternate ideas! I think this archetype really is just Wizard, though that might muddy the water with magic-users a bit. Would it be too audacious to call it a Wizard? I don’t know. Mystic or Sorcerer might work too. I kind of think of Wizards and Sorcerers as the same thing.

On that note, if this class were to change its name, I think the Spellsword could still become an arcane variant of the Paladin class.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

What about The Magician?

And as far as I can see it, I’d love to make a class for Spellsword, that’s a variant to this :)
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Magician would make a good class name, except I think it cuts even closer to Magic-User. To me, magician, mage, and magic-user are synonyms.

I think we should just call it what it is. A Wizard. The etymology of the word ‘Wizard’ literally means someone who is wise, so makes sense to have a wisdom-based caster fill that role. Gandalf and Obi-Wan are literally referred to as wizards. Vader is referred to as a sorcerer so I guess you could say they’re similar except there is a slightly evil connotation to the word sorcerer. I know the word gets bandied about to mean anything nowadays, but I think we can’t go wrong to going back to the archetype and using Wizard in the classical sense of the word.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I would go with a more "spiritual" name, the class should have:
Rules regarding dual wielding as its mentioned.
Rules regarding spell preparation.
Rules regarding what spells can be "overcasted". It seems it can do it on any of his spell from his spell lists.

The "touch AC" should include the targets DEX modifier.
Light and Protection From Evil appear as new spells.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/