Peoples of the Sands

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Peoples of the Sands

Post by MedievalMan »

Well it's been awhile.

So my upcoming Basic Fantasy campaign is set in a fantasy ancient Egyptian inspired land, and as part of that I wanted some unique races that fit into the setting. So I put together this supplement with five new races inspired by some of my favorite gods from Egyptian mythology.

It's been a very long time since I have done anything like this, so any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried to eyeball the "balance" but I have a feeling they are probably too strong. I'm also looking for some input and help on assigning Thief skill modifiers.

Oh and if anyone has suggestions for additional races/material to add, post the idea and I would be happy to see about adding it.

EDIT 2: v1.2 added. Just updated some descriptions/fixed some grammar issues/updated Aset special abilities to be more unique. Final version for the time being. I have to work on the actual campaign.
Attachments
Peoples_of_the_Sands_v1.2.odt
(37.4 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Peoples_of_the_Sands_v1.2.pdf
(111.1 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Last edited by MedievalMan on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SmootRK

Re: Peoples of the Sands

Post by SmootRK »

Wow, have not seen you around here in some time. Welcome back!

Sounds like a great game in the making. Have always loved the Egyptian mythos, even though I have never really utilized it. Seems a great start with the races.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Thanks! It's good to be back, and I expect to stick around this time haha.

You know honestly I couldn't have made the races without the race supplements you created/worked on. Referenced them a lot for ideas, proper format, etc. So you have my deepest appreciation.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Not sure where you are heading with the adventure ideas but you might consider removing the Sethiss as a player race (instead using primarily as one of the main antagonist races/foes). You would be free to make them scale with the player levels and be much more variable (and more monstrous at higher levels). I would perhaps suggest that there are factions of Sethiss that lean towards other monstrous appearances, as the reference web-pages I looked at briefly does not really scream "Snake" nor any other particular species. Set is father of Anubis, so many images have him with a generic beast head that is similar to Anubis.

Perhaps to replace them you can essentially fold back in a race of Dwarves (in a sense, or at least just superficially/mechanically). They can be inspired by Egyptian God of Earth "Geb/Qeb". A fairly easy retcon to do this change and introduces an element that players might find more "familiar" in the otherwise very different setting.

Also on the Heru, perhaps you can say occasionally a Heru is born with other bird species such as ibis, heron, or even vulture heads (basically to include Thoth inspired folk (or others)). That said, I would include these as being of the same race.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Good ideas, Sethiss were partially inspired by the Yuan-ti so making them an antagonistic force in the world makes sense. Primordial serpent people are always a good time. I also like the idea of the Geb/Qeb dwarf-folk and will add them in alongside another race (not quite Egyptian) that I have been thinking about. I will also update the Heru's description. :)

EDIT: Made the changes.
Last edited by MedievalMan on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Split off the two newer races into their own document and did a comprehensive pass for grammar and the like. Updated links to the most up-to-date version.
Seven

Post by Seven »

The Egyptian snake god is Nehebkau.

There is also the god of chaos who appears as a giant snake, Apep/Apophis.

Ironically, Set is known for fighting Apep.

Set has the head of an unknown animal.
Maybe that's because he's the god of foreigners--and other things?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Your "dwarves" the Geb, are spot on.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm The Egyptian snake god is Nehebkau.

There is also the god of chaos who appears as a giant snake, Apep/Apophis.

Ironically, Set is known for fighting Apep.
There is also the goddess Wadjet for some more serpentine representation. My original Set = Snake idea had more to do with Howard's Hyboria that real ancient Egypt.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

SmootRK wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm Your "dwarves" the Geb, are spot on.
Perfect! I didn't want them to be just a pure copy-paste job of the core dwarves, so I figured it would be neat to experiment with an additional ability.