Prelude

lucky64's Play-by-Post game forum.

Moderator: lucky64

Locked
User avatar
lucky64
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Los Lunas, NM

Prelude

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Here we go. We'll start by with Pero and Keiler entering the gates, and we'll introduce everyone else as we go along.

As the rain pours down from the sky, the two guards guarding the gate begin to question their job.
No one ever comes to Morgansfort, no one even knows where it is, and no one doesn’t even know it exists.
As they prepare to once again leave early, they see a very interesting sight. A man, accompanied by a dwarf.
The man is dressed in robes, and carries a dagger on his belt, along with a backpack which seems to be full of many things. The dwarf is clad in chainmall and carries two axes with him, one small, and one large.
"Adventures..." mutters one of the guards. As the two approach the gate, the guards step in front of the gate and yell "Halt! Identify yourselves."


The camera focuses on Joe and Husk now.

It is the 15th day of mid summer, the time is 12:00 PM, and the weather is rainy.
Pero 5/5
Galan 7/7, 1 healing potion left
Keiler 9/9, 1 healing potion left
Neville 4/4,
Davros 9/9
Thaddeus 10/10, 1 healing potion left

8:21AM, windy
19th of mid summer
User avatar
Joe the Rat
Posts: 1242
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 am

Re: Prelude

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Keiler Stoutaxe has always enjoyed travel. Seeing new places, drinking new drinks, punching new people in the face. As a caravan guard, he'd gotten to do these things. Often riding with the wagons. Out of the rain.
Master Ashbaugh's map to riches sounded promising, but what was to be a few sunny days of hiking and treasure-hunting turned into a long, wet week of slogging across the countryside, getting thoroughly lost, with nothing to show for it but muddy boots and a map with only the vaguest association with reality.

This has made Keiler a bit grumpy.

He leans closer to Pero and mutters in Dwarvish, sarcastically, "Would ya like me to introduce ourselves, or do you wish the honor?"
User avatar
Husk
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Prelude

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:22 am

Pero stood staring up at the looming gate, frowning as the rain poured over his face. Shuffling under his robes he produced a map in his hands and studied it for a moment. Morgansfort at least this much seemed to correct on the otherwise worthless scrap of parchment. They had spent the better part of the week stumbling through the wilds on the trail of some pox-faced forgers tall tales. The map had cost him most of his savings, and gear for the trip had drained the rest. Now he couldn't help thinking he would have profited more from staying in the library. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe this Morgansfort would turn their luck around.

He looked up from the map as Keiler muttered in his ear, then returned in a rough Dwarvish of his own. "I shall oblige them."

He had picked up a great deal of the language during his short time with the Dwarf, mostly long curses and rather colorful idioms, but he managed to hammer out a workable vocabulary, much better than the basic scraps they taught at the University. In a way meeting up with Keiler had been the one silver lining of this expedition. Pero knew that the lifespan of a Magi out among the boarder lands can be tragically short, but so far his staunch companion had proven to be well worth the cost, now if he could only find some treasure to make good on their bargain.

The taller of the two stepped forward to address the guards, his voice is clear, and words exact. Clearly a man of significant learning, if not a little road-weary. "Pero Ashbaugh, traveler from the trade cities west of here, Or perhaps it is north of here. This is my vanguard Master Stoutaxe" Pero made a small gesture to the Dwarf. "We have been among the weather for days now and would like greatly to resupply and take shelter from the elements, if it pleases."
User avatar
lucky64
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Los Lunas, NM

Re: Prelude

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:46 pm

"Alright then." The guard signals to the gatekeeper, and slowly, the gate rises up. It looks like
it's seen better days. "Welcome to Morgansfort, ruled by the honorable Peram Helsith IV. The tavern is
right across from here. It also serves as the inn. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask." As you walk past them; the guards eye the both of you very suspiciously.


I shall assume that you both decide to enter the Tavern.

The sign above the tavern says "The Bloated Toad" along with a crudely painted picture of a toad that looks like it will burst at any moment. As you walk in, you notice an absence of people here. You can
count six people, including the bartender and the serving wench. As soon as everyone looks at the both
of you, they seem to become frightened. You sit down at the nearest table. (Which has no one else around it.) The serving wench approaches you. She has long brown hair, and hazel eyes. She looks like she's seen a ghost. After a few moments of standing there in silence, she asks the both of you "W-what'll it be today? We have Beer, Ale, Mutton, and some stew, for a silver each."


Elsewhere, back at the gate, the guards notice someone else coming. It appears to be a man, dressed in leather, armed with a shortsword and a dagger. They begin to get nervous Two adventurers, armed, walk in to town, and now someone else, who is also armed, is walking this way. "Gods save us..." mutters one of the guards. As the man approaches the gate, the guards step in front of him and yell "Halt! Identify yourself."

It's your turn, crabus.
Pero 5/5
Galan 7/7, 1 healing potion left
Keiler 9/9, 1 healing potion left
Neville 4/4,
Davros 9/9
Thaddeus 10/10, 1 healing potion left

8:21AM, windy
19th of mid summer
User avatar
crabus
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Lille, France

Re: Prelude

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Hello, my name is Neville Pourcel. Sorry but I made a very long journey. Do you known a place, where I can rest ?
User avatar
Joe the Rat
Posts: 1242
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 am

Re: Prelude

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:28 pm

The prospect of warm food and well-rested drink brightens Keilers mood. "Mutton and Ale for meself, miss... er, you alright?" Keiler shoots Pero a glance, to see if the young scholar has noted anything amiss.
User avatar
Husk
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Prelude

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Pero's eyes fall over the guards as they pass by. The accusing glances of the men are noted, but he is much to tired to give it much thought. Inside the alehouse is another story, once out of the weather, Pero shrugs of his gear and clinking and rattling can be heard as he lays down his weary load on the floor by his stool. Throwing back his hood reveals the face of a young man, young for a wizard anyhow. A week of dark growth covering his face with the beginnings of a close beard.

He looks over the room as his eyes adjust to the light. "Mayhaps it is just early in the day." He thinks to himself as the maid comes closer and Keiler orders. His eyes met the Dwarf's and he placed his own order. "I will take the stew and something to wash it down with, it matters not which you bring if there is enough" He produces a gold coin from his robes and places it in the woman's hand, hoping the flow of coin would put the skiddish locals more at ease. Then more quietly to the maid "I hope we have not disgraced ourselves by besmirching some local custom."
User avatar
lucky64
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Los Lunas, NM

Re: Prelude

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:10 am

At the gate...
"Sure. The inn is right across from here. It also serves as the tavern. Let us know if you need anything else."
As the man waits for the gate to rise, he notices, out of the corner of his eye, a small being approaches. At first, it looks like a child, but as the small being comes closer, it appears to be a halfling. The halfling is covered in chainmall, wielding a warhammer. He has hazel eyes and short blonde hair.
As he approaches the gate, the guards quickly step back in front if it, and yell "Halt! Identify yourself."


At the tavern...
The wench slowly shakes her head no, and heads back into the kitchen. One of the locals, sitting at the table right next to the two of you, glances over at you. He has short black hair, along with matching eyes. He dosen't seem as scared as the rest of the locals. He smiles at the both of you, and says "Oy, not from 'round here, are ya? What business have you got here in Morgansfort?"
Pero 5/5
Galan 7/7, 1 healing potion left
Keiler 9/9, 1 healing potion left
Neville 4/4,
Davros 9/9
Thaddeus 10/10, 1 healing potion left

8:21AM, windy
19th of mid summer
User avatar
Joe the Rat
Posts: 1242
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 am

Re: Prelude

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:01 am

(Tavern)
This lot seems a bit suspicious of outsiders, thinks Keilier. A lot like home, really.

Keiler smiles, or at least the smile lines fold at the corners of his eyes, and his mad bush of a beard crinkles slightly. "Doin' a might bit of traveling, and felt like gettin' a bite to eat out of the rain. So what do the locals do 'round here, besides get wet?"
User avatar
Husk
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Prelude

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Pero looked on as the curious maid took off and vanished into the back. He then turned and looked at the man who spoke, and listened as Keilier took the lead. Content to observe and ponder until addressed directly. while he waited for the mans response he searched his own memory for any mention of Peram Helsith IV or any of his line.
Last edited by Husk on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests