AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
borgar

Re: AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Post by borgar »

chiisu81 wrote:I think we'll need full-size maps, for those who want that style for playing the adventure, and maybe either don't like isometric maps at all or just prefer top-down period.
Having a top-down map is basically required when playing with miniatures. I tend to draw out details for players even though we don't use miniatures at the moment. Especially for combat.

Btw, it would also be possible to break the the isometric maps into sub-maps as well for inclusion between room descriptions text.

Are there any limitations on how many maps that are used in the modules? To some extent having two versions of the maps are a bit overkill.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Why would we need limits?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

borgar wrote:Having a top-down map is basically required when playing with miniatures. I tend to draw out details for players even though we don't use miniatures at the moment. Especially for combat.
[...]
Are there any limitations on how many maps that are used in the modules? To some extent having two versions of the maps are a bit overkill.
I included both a GM map with all details for reference, an then explicit player maps (which could be used for online maps) as alternatives.
Fastjack2xs

Post by Fastjack2xs »

Wow! I really like the maps that borgar did for my adventure (The Tomb of Thorin Zuse)! They look great.

In fact, this entire anthology is coming along great. I can hardly wait to see it in print. Sorry for not being able to help more but my real world occupation has been (and still is) keeping away from home for the past year.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote:Why would we need limits?
Ok, I see you point. Only self imposted limits. I do prefer to limit duplications as much as possible. My software development habits I guess.

How avout having regular overview maps and then sub-maps in the isometric style?

I've been fiddeling a bit with this in the week-end, even adding a bit of the room details. I'll post these tomorrow.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I cannot see any harm in having embellishments, whether art, maps, player handouts, sidebars explaining bits, or whatever.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
borgar

Post by borgar »

Ok, so the new sub-map parts look like this
part_1_draft.png
part_1_draft.png (82.41 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
part_2_draft.png
part_2_draft.png (143.17 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
part_3_draft.png
part_3_draft.png (133.51 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
borgar

Post by borgar »

And
part_4_draft.png
part_4_draft.png (101.7 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
part_5_draft.png
part_5_draft.png (168.94 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
I will add the room numbers and "gravel/stone" decoration if these seem like a better alternative than the original isometric maps.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Fastjack2xs wrote:Wow! I really like the maps that borgar did for my adventure (The Tomb of Thorin Zuse)! They look great.
Thanks, feel free to check the sub-maps and see if I misunderstood the location of anything. Or there are columns etc. that are missing.

Well, perhaps with the exception of room 16 which I''m not sure I will be able to actually draw (columns with fire breathing orc skulls).
Fastjack2xs

Post by Fastjack2xs »

Borgar all of your sub-maps look fantastic. Wish I had a quarter of your talent. Some day I will actually learn how to use a computer and be able to draw maps on my own instead of having to rely upon the gracious good will of others to do the hard work for me. Thank you, by the way!

As for room 16, I wouldn't worry about trying to draw fire breathing orc skulls. They don't spew fire unless someone walks into to the room anyway. If you really wish to show the columns in that room simply make them plain round columns, leave it to the DM to describe them. The same goes for the lever in the middle of the room, let the DM describe the lever and its placement.

I believe that you have shown all the truly important points of this particular dungeon on your maps, let the DM do his or her work and describe those rooms in all the detail (or lack thereof) they choose.