[AA3] A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
orobouros

[AA3] A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Post by orobouros »

I wanted an intro module to Basic Fantasy RPG that could be played as a one-session one-shot, so that I could either have a short module to play with friends or to take to a convention for a single-session adventure there.

The result is A Temple of Slides and Stairs.

I've been told to "release early, release often" and now I have the adventure put together for the most part, so I'm sharing it here. I did one playthrough test on my own with the pre-gen characters and it worked out okay. I'll probably do another just for the heck of it, but genuine playtesting (with real players) may happen sooner rather than later on roll20.

Feed back is very welcome!

Edit: this is now in AA3
Last edited by orobouros on Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Post by Solomoriah »

Chi will very likely give it a working over soon...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Which I did. ;) Ran a quick spellcheck, and re-created the PDF as the title font was missing. I've PM'ed you (orobouros) a download link for the fonts. Overall good work on the formatting! Will take a closer read once it's closer to final content. We may have another potential entry for the eventual AA3 here. 8-)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I think the maps need to have each their own page. I'm also not sure if the non-gridded maps are needed or not.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

I had actually tried to get the maps each on their own page but ran into some severe difficulty formatting it correctly. Most likely due to my lesser familiarity with LibreOffice.

What's the recommended way? Insert new sections? Page breaks? Paste as character? Anchor to page?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Never make a section you don't need. That means, basically, never make a section unless you're doing columns.

Insert a map into a page, then force a new page (Ctrl-Enter), rinse and repeat. That's how I do it anyway. Then I usually format the pictures (i.e. maps), setting the position to Centered to Page Text Area both vertical and horizontal.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Incidentally, try never to anchor anything to a page... it's a real mess when we copy and paste your adventure into a larger collection, assuming of course you're cool with that.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Solo, thanks for the pointers. I've updated the documents accordingly, and added grids to the maps that didn't have them before. I left it at "1st edition (release 1)" as it's still under heavy development, but I'm not sure what your standard is for that.

As for including it, I'd be honored! Though before that happens I'd like to get at least a few playtests in to make sure it's an adventure worth playing.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Each and every time you share a copy of the document with the rest of us, even if you've only changed one thing, you should update the release number. It's how we tell whether two files are supposed to be the same or not.

Some projects advance numbers fast, some slow, and there's neither rhyme nor reason for it, and it doesn't matter that there isn't.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Posted r2 to first post. Had to re-run spellcheck and re-add my proofing credit. Please download that odt and start from there for future work. ;)