Core Rules French Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Core Rules French Translation

Post by Solomoriah »

Later in that section you've added examples of magic item creation; they are also boxed, and are not titled in the same style as other parts of the book.

I'm not sure I'm happy having material added to the book. The organizational bits added in earlier sections (such as in the Monsters section, where you explain how you've rearranged the monster listings) are one thing, but this is material of an explanatory nature. How do I verify that it's right, given that I can't read French?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Making my second run from top to bottom, checking the flow, and I realized I overlooked several boxed sections. It appears they are all examples. Is this your personal style, or is this a French thing? On the one hand, I do want each translation to be true to the needs and expectations of those who read the target language; on the other hand, if this is a matter of personal preference, I do wish I'd been consulted first. The first priority is that the book be correct for French readers; the second priority is that it be consistent with the style of myself and the other authors.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Still making a flow-check pass, and I realized the Shadow (Ombre) is listed among the Undead (Morts-vivants) despite the fact that the descriptive text clearly states they are not undead. I moved them into the section with the other magical creatures. I am concerned that the categorization of monsters may need to be rechecked... I never categorized them in this way for several reasons, the main one being that the category is not always clear-cut (especially for monsters that could be in two or more categories, as well as those where the answer is not entirely obvious).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Pushing R104-fra74 to the server now; it'll be on the Downloads page. This is not a print release candidate, not nearly, as there are many layout issues to be nailed down. I need to look through the current English release with an eye toward reinserting and rearranging the art to make the French version look and work better. So as of right now, I'm not sure I need flow issues pointed out. What I do need is for Elwing to take a look and see if I've messed up any of the text.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Sure:
I boxed the few examples across the document to separate them from the core rules, to highlight them.
In this very specific example, I explained the resulting percentage with numbers to illustrate the formulae.however, I had 15+5*9+15 originally (2 times 15), so i replaced the second 15(prime requisite) by 14 to avoid a possible confusion from the reader with the first 15(a base number, constant), hence the 15+5*9+14... Picky detail, only for the sake of clarity . Hope this make sense.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

missed your latest post and replied to the first comment.
Boxed examples is not a french specif thing, I could remove them.
The too examples in the magic object creation are new because rules are complex and i thougth handy to add a few.
For the monster categories, you are right, I thought it was a convenient way to know a categorie in order to apply a magic effect, for example in the magical object having the property to hit "magical creature". It was not easy to determine which of the monsters is a magical creature. I used the 3.5 srd to map the monsters(I added that one page compared to original doc). That should have been agreed, my apologize.
I ll review your doc and remove that.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll leave it in your hands for the moment, then, Elwing. This pass is yours. When you have a new revision done, send it on and I'll make a second layout pass, and then we'll decide from there where to go.

If you can provide an English translation of your magic item examples (just post it here), then I'll look it over and approve it (assuming your math is good), and it can stay. I may even see about adding it to the next English release of the Core Rules.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To be clear, I don't expect you to worry too much about layout issues at this point; I'll hammer them out when I make my next pass. This pass, for you, should just be about content checking.

Leave the alteration to the math in the example you changed (14 vs. 15) as I see your point and agree.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Ok, will follow up.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Here is a quick translation of the two examples to start with:

Example of magic object creation:
Potion of healing:
This potion acts like the level 1 Cleric spell, cure light wounds. The GM assume a level 1 for the potion as well. The time required to create a single dose is then 1 week+1day = 8 days. Its cost will be 8 x50 PO +1(estimated level of the spell) = 400 PO. Finally, assming that a Level 9 Cleric with a wisdom score of 15 prepares the potion, the final chance of success will be 15% + 5%x9 (caster level) + 15 (Wisdom) – 10%x1 (Spell level or equivalent) = 65 %. To prepare two doses of the same potion, he will need 8+1 = 9 days, the cost is now 9x50x1 = 450 PO, and the final chance of success 65-5 = 60%.
Searching arrow:
A player wishes to create a bow arrow that would automatically hit its target, inflicting damages equivalent to a base arrow but considered as magical damages. This effect would only be usable once. GM considers this as an original effect, hence shall assign a spell equivalent level. GM estimates it is close to a magic missile effect, a wizard level 1 spell, so is the estimated level.
The base time to create such single use magic item is 1week+1day = 8 days, x2 because it is an original object gives 16 days final. It cost (in addition to the arrow to enchant itself) will be 8 (base time) x 50x1 (spell level) = 400, x2 because it is an original object = 800 PO final. Finally, the chance of success to enchant it, if done by a level 7 Wizard with an Intelligence of 16, will be 15%+5%x7% (wizard level) + 16 (Intelligence) = 66%