AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, I'm going ahead to work on R20 myself. Just going to add the stuff I missed yesterday, as well as the revised blurbs above. Still open to criticism on them, by the way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Posted to DF asking Galadrin the intent for the king and princess names.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote:Yes, I'm liking those maps! To use them in print, we'll need them scanned at least in 150 dpi quality, preferably in 300 dpi if you can do it.
I'm a complete newbie when i comes to image editing for print so I'll need some help in figuring out how to get this to converted to the most correct/convenient format. Especially since resolution and DPI seem to be somewhat independent values.

I scanned the image in black and white with scanner software set to 1200 dpi so the scan does have a pretty high resolution. I've used GIMP for a bit of rotating and tweaking (fixed some errors) so the work file is in the GIMP XCF format.

Since attaching lots of revision to this thread seem inconvenient I've put the XCF doc on google drive :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl-a ... 0k4b2dGQ0k

I've also put up a flattende PNG in the scanned resolution

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl-a ... kM2aVRQVEU
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Galadrin's response from DF:
Galadrin wrote:Yep, the idea was that a DM could fit it into their own campaign. But if you think they should have names, I am fine with that as well!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

borgar wrote:I'm a complete newbie when i comes to image editing for print so I'll need some help in figuring out how to get this to converted to the most correct/convenient format. Especially since resolution and DPI seem to be somewhat independent values.
Why do you say that?
borgar wrote:I scanned the image in black and white with scanner software set to 1200 dpi so the scan does have a pretty high resolution. I've used GIMP for a bit of rotating and tweaking (fixed some errors) so the work file is in the GIMP XCF format.
Excellent! Very good for someone who says he doesn't know what he's doing... you seem to have a pretty good handle on it actually.
borgar wrote:Since attaching lots of revision to this thread seem inconvenient I've put the XCF doc on google drive :
We can work with this. Thanks!

Oh... how do you want to be credited? As borgar, or using a real name?
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote:
borgar wrote:I'm a complete newbie when i comes to image editing for print so I'll need some help in figuring out how to get this to converted to the most correct/convenient format. Especially since resolution and DPI seem to be somewhat independent values.
Why do you say that?
I noticed that when I tried to scale in GIMP from 1200dpi to 300dpi it didn't actually reduce the resolution which I expected. But I may just have confused my self here.
Oh... how do you want to be credited? As borgar, or using a real name?
Well, this is my real (first) name, i.e. use Borgar Olsen.

I'll see if I can manage something for the entrance/main part for next week.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah, I understand your confusion.

When you tell GIMP what the resolution is in DPI, if that's all you change, nothing really changes; GIMP now interprets the size of a pixel in "real world" measurements in terms of the DPI you've chosen, but does not actually change the pixel count etc.

What you do is this: First, change the DPI to 300. Next, switch your Units from pixels to inches (centimeters, whatever, some real-world measurement). Now when you change the size, you're changing the size the picture will default to and print at when imported into LibreOffice. This will actually resize the image, changing the pixel count (so if you specify 3 inches wide at 300 dpi, the image will become 900 pixels wide).

Better yet, do none of that. Just send me high-quality scans and I'll work the magic. It's become second nature to me.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote:Better yet, do none of that. Just send me high-quality scans and I'll work the magic. It's become second nature to me.
Yes, that certainly works for me.
borgar

Post by borgar »

I've worked on the remaining interior maps for Wulfric's Tomb this weekend and put them here :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... W13ZHVGWjA

I wanted to keep the same style which made this a bit more challenging (especially area 10).

I've kept room numbers as separate layers so they are easy to move or replace.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

These look amazing 8-) I've added them for R21 and credited you as borgar; if you'd like to be credited differently please PM Solo.

Solo, I've placed R21 in the Projects folder. I did leave the last map, as it shows the path to the chamber. If borgar wants to re-do that map as well, so much the better. :D