BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
PapersAndPaychecks

Re: Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

I checked, and to my amazement the Shrieking Tarantula is in the first Field Guide (which would be why I couldn't find it in the Field Guide 2). So is the Leaded Skeleton. Need to amend the text on page 16 of this module to say where the Shrieking Tarantula's stats are.

Pangotherium isn't anywhere that I can see, except in a post on Dragonsfoot from 2011 (here), so I'll write up a proper BRFPG monster entry. Troll mummy isn't anywhere that I can see at all and neither is blood rose.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Blood Rose is from the Core Rules. I'd prefer not to bother with a monster entry for Troll Mummies; there is enough to run them in the one place where they can be encountered, and I do not intend to ever have them in an adventure again. A true one-off. If someone else wants to use them, like I say, there's enough to stat them out in the adventure.

We do need the Pangotherium written up, and let's get it into FG2 also.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
PapersAndPaychecks

Pangotherium

Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 7
No. of Attacks: 2
Damage: 2d4/2d4
Movement: 40 ft
No. Appearing: 1d6
Save As: F7
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: J, K
XP: 670

Pangotheria look like grizzly bears, with the heads, hides and rather enlarged claws of scaly anteaters. Their place of origin is uncertain but it is not in this universe, and they are one of several alien creatures whose appearance indicates that a conjuration or summoning spell has gone wrong.

Some sages theorize that the universes are adrift in a sea of probability. According to this theory, most conjuration/summoning spells call things from this universe or another, but when the spell is miscast it can tap the probability streams directly. Usually this results in nothing more than a shower of rainbow sparks and a yell of pain from the spellcaster, but on occasion, Pangotheria, or indeed certain other strange creatures, can emerge.

Pangotheria are intelligent animals, with similar cognitive ability to a gorilla, but extremely chaotic and unpredictable. Determine how each one reacts to the party by rolling 3d6. A score of 3-6 means it charges; a 7-8 means that it attacks; on a 9-12 it approaches without attacking; on a 13-14 it retreats; on a 15-17 it flees, and on an 18 it takes an immediate liking to the party and will roll on its back waiting for its belly to be scratched. If attacked it will certainly retaliate!

Pangotheria can operate doors and other simple mechanisms but they have no language.
PapersAndPaychecks

Ugh, did I ever stat out the tin golem?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Apparently not on the forum. Haven't searched publications as yet.

EDIT: It does not appear to be in any of our in-print publications.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Chi, are you reviewing this, or can I go ahead and make some changes?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Not right now, change away! 8-)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AN UNUSUAL ART REQUEST

I need a little help here. In particular, I need someone who can print in a feminine hand to write out the names of Fleta and Maricela D'Angelo for inclusion on the Sigils page. I'd prefer two different people to do this, so that the names will look like two different people wrote them (obviously). Printing, not cursive, is what I'm looking for here, though appropriate flourishes are allowable (remembering that Maricela is the Duchess and therefore dignified, while Fleta is more of an iconoclast).

I also need a sigil for Fleta, and one for William, again drawn by different hands. Maricela's sigil as provided is a bit rough, so if someone wants to redraw it in a more flowing style I'd appreciate it.

Art credit will be given for anyone who does these, just as for any other artwork. Please indicate how you want to be credited when you submit your entry. I do reserve the right to be picky here, but given that, even though I want these done by different people, feel free to submit several entries and I'll sort out the ones I think best represent the characters.

For those composing new sigils, remember that these marks are intended to be drawn quickly; balance fancy bits and flourishes against the time required to draw them repeatedly.
PapersAndPaychecks

Well, I'm not going to stat out one golem ---- from my experience with writing monster books, statting out things like golems one by one uses up a lot of space. I prefer to combine the stat blocks. So here's a bunch of 'em.

I couldn't figure out the table syntax here so I monospaced, hope that's okay.

Code: Select all

Golem               Tin         Lead        Gold        Glass

Armor Class:        19          16          16          15
Hit Dice:           7**         12*         13*         6*
No. of Attacks:     2           1           1           1
Damage:             3d6         3d6         3d6         2d4
Movement:           30 ft       30 ft       30 ft       40 ft
No. Appearing:      1           1           1           1
Save As:            F7          F12         F13         F6
Morale:             12          12          12          12
Treasure Type:      Nil         Nil         Special     Nil
XP:                 800         1,975       2,285       555

Golem (cont'd)      Rope        Straw       Household

Armor Class:        13          11          11
Hit Dice:           4*          3*          1d4hp
No. of Attacks:     1           1           1
Damage:             Special     1 + spec    1
Movement:           40 ft       40 ft       40 ft
No. Appearing:      1           1           2d4
Save As:            F4          F3          NM
Morale:             12          12          12
Treasure Type:      Nil         Nil         Nil
XP:                 280         175         10

Golems are objects animated by magic.  For a general description of golems, see the BFRPG rulebook, page 89.  Seven additional types are described here:-

Tin golem

Tin golems are man-shaped golems made for heavy labour.  They are typically about eight feet tall, stocky, and as strong as a hill giant.  Generally, when encountered, a tin golem will be operating a heavy work tool such as a sawmill, mangle or forge press.  They are not normally programmed to fight, but when malfunctioning will tend to see intruders as workpieces or raw materials.  In this case the tin golem will attempt to (for example) saw anyone unfamiliar into planks.  The tin golem will need to score a hit with both hands in melee; if one hand hits then the target is unable to flee, and will be AC11 against the other hand.  once both hands have hit the golem will place its target into the heavy work tool, inflicting 3d6 damage if they succeed.  Very high strength characters have a chance, calculated as 10% per point of strength over 15, to resist being forced into the tool.

Lead golems

The secret of making lead golems has been lost, but there are still a few ancient ones in the deepest dark places beneath the earth.  They were sacred to the bat-god Camazotz and were made by his priests, who were leaders of the weird Cheiropteran bat-people.  They are always man-shaped but with the heads and wings of colossal bats.  The wings are non-functional as lead golems are far too heavy to fly.  They fight with lead clubs.  In addition to their attack, each lead golem can cast the 4th level magic user spell Confusion once every seven rounds.

Legend has it that Camazotz has a lost temple deep beneath the earth which is inhabited by seven lead golems and a family of bats the size of rocs.

Gold golems

The gold golems were made by a pharaoh who wanted an ostentatious display of wealth.  Although they are powerful in combat, their cost far exceeds their utility and nobody makes them now.  They are always woman-shaped, wearing the semblance of costly robes (but made of animated gold).  They fight with golden crooks.  In addition to their attack, each gold golem can cast the 4th level cleric spell Bestow Curse (-4 "to hit" and saving throw variant) once every seven rounds.  They can also levitate themselves at will.

A gold golem contains an amount of gold sufficient to make 80,000 gold pieces.

Glass golems

Glass golems appear as hairless androgynous humanoids, but are rarely seen because they can cast an invisibility spell upon themselves once per round.  They are typically used by wizards and liches who require very discreet workers or guards, and are often programmed to do their work in complete silence.  They take full damage from blunt weapons, but only half damage from cutting or piercing ones.

Rope golems

Well-designed for shipboard use, rope golems are made from coils of ordinary rope.  They typically attack to grapple and hold (see BFRPG rules, page 48) but once the target is grappled, next round the golem will pass a loop around whichever appendage the golem believes to be its target's neck.  The target then has one round to cut the rope with a dagger, or it will be throttled.  For most creatures throttling is fatal, but undead are immune, and any creature wearing plate mail armour and a helm is also presumed to have a gorget that protects it from this attack form.

Straw golems

Certain druids can make straw golems, which typically have an agricultural role and are often used as scarecrows.  They take half damage from blunt weapons and no damage from piercing ones.  Straw golems are particularly vulnerable to fire, and any fire attack will set them alight, which will destroy them in 3 rounds.  During these 3 rounds the golem will move at maximum speed towards whoever set them alight, seeking to hug them and hold them in the fire to join the straw golem in oblivion.  Anyone held in a bear hug by a burning straw golem will take 1d6 damage in the first round, 2d6 in the second round, and 3d6 in the third round before it burns away.

Household golems

Household golems are made from animated standard household utensils such as mops and brushes.  They are used as labour to avoid the cost and inconvenience of employing servants, and can perform most routine domestic chores, although for some reason asking them to fetch water always seems to go wrong.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've started on R35 by importing the Tin Golem. I've also formatted the entire bunch of monsters, reorganized in a form that will be easier to incorporate into the Field Guide 2; Chi, you'll find the text in the Projects folder. I'm not posting that bit publicly because I'm not sure of the copyright dates... Stuart?