Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by chiisu81 »

From this post, my attempt at converting to BFRPG stats and scaling it back a bit. LimeOdyssey, certainly give your opinion and feedback, and PM me if you'd like to be credited differently than your forum handle.

Bear, Migou

Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 6*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws/1 bite or 1 special
Damage: 1d6/1d6/1d12 or special
Movement: 40' Charge 60'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter:
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: none
XP: 485

The Migou, or Yueh-Teh, is a prehistoric offshoot of the black and polar bear species. Migou are solitary, mating is a one-off event each year and females give birth to live young that follow her around for a year before going their own way. The migou is a relentless and extremely savage predator, preferentially attacking humans, demihumans and canines as it obviously sees the taste of these prey as a delicacy. The migou’s paws are foot-like on its hind legs, as its light build and proportions allow it to move rapidly on two legs as well as four. The front paws of the migou are covered in long shaggy fur, and its claws are in a row on the front paws, almost resembling a spiky fin.

At some point in their existence the Migou developed mental powers as an adaptation to hunting Magic-Users, and these powers make them a vastly more formidable opponent than a normal bear. This attack, which the migou can use once per combat round, is called Phantasmal Visions and operates as a form of mental illusion that creates an effect somewhat similar to hold person. The migou emits a psychic field within a 60’ radius of its body. Anyone within this spherical zone must save vs. Paralysis or be treated as if under the influence of a hold person (or hold animal/monster as appropriate) spell. This effect lasts a maximum of ten minutes, and each time a character suffers any form of injury he or she can re-roll its save to end the effect upon it. Characters can be re-affected by the migou as long as they are within the range of the effect. The migou uses this effect either when in direct combat or as its first attack on potential prey, sleeping campers, or anyone else it encounters who it decides to eat.
Bodmir-The-Gnome

Post by Bodmir-The-Gnome »

This is just turning into the adventuers guide to bears.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Bodmir-The-Gnome wrote:This is just turning into the adventuers guide to bears.
Lots of bears...

This actually started to come together as another listing of creatures I was preparing for my own campaign which has a decidedly more "North American with little prehistoric" vibe to it. Sasquatches, Wolf-race (Amaroki), Tuskers (eskimo-ish walrus-ish folk), other Native American inspired creatures like Thunder Birds, Uktena, etc.
Though, after the entries started to pile up and get more contributors, it got a little more diversified and the thread got re-named into FG2
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LimeOdyssey

Post by LimeOdyssey »

chiisu81 wrote:From this post, my attempt at converting to BFRPG stats and scaling it back a bit. LimeOdyssey, certainly give your opinion and feedback, and PM me if you'd like to be credited differently than your forum handle.
No. appearing should be one, so a low level party can have a chance at beating it, other than that I really thing once I released it into the wild (ie on this forum) it's fine however it is changed. :)

The main thing is that it stalks and hunts campers, so this is not just something to charge in and try and kill, it might well attack using its illusion power then wreak havoc against anyone who resists / has an immunity / works out something is terribly wrong. :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Bodmir (and others), look over your Deadringer/Resonated post/entry for my notes. Once that's ready I'll work on next release.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Also, we're at about the same size as FG1 (sans art), so before too long we'll have to cut off submissions for FG2. No deadline/date set yet, but depending on how many more we get it could be soon, so if you've had something brewing in the brain now's the time to get it posted.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

We really need a big push for art for FG2. I am going to think on what I might post up via Google+ or Facebook to get a few artistic types interested.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I agree, but I think we should encourage them to start with CS1, BF3, and even AA2, and then as they possibly submit more we can then focus on FG2. Of course if they rather illustrate a monster to begin with, more power to them. 8-)

We do need a post on both FB and G+ to encourage artwork submission, either detailing the above future releases or just say in general and point them to the forums.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

chiisu81 wrote:I agree, but I think we should encourage them to start with CS1, BF3, and even AA2, and then as they possibly submit more we can then focus on FG2. Of course if they rather illustrate a monster to begin with, more power to them. 8-)

We do need a post on both FB and G+ to encourage artwork submission, either detailing the above future releases or just say in general and point them to the forums.
Did a post on Google+
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R18 uploaded.