New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
PapersAndPaychecks

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

Oh okay. Didn't make the cut there either, I guess.

You want me to post new spells in this thread or that one? I've got more coming.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Even if Solo utilizes them, the Libram would use them as well. As Solo said, it is more of an omnibus of spells.

That said, the Libram needs developer(s), as I have had little time to do much with such writing and development efforts. The want is there, but life seems to keep me from doing much more than read up what others around here are doing.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Stuart, I very much expect to use most if not all of your spells. However, New Spells is a ways down my priority list right now... any time I have available, I intend to put into finalizing JN3 and then finishing Strongholds of Sorcery.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
PapersAndPaychecks

No problem. Everything I submit in this thread is a submission to both publications and available for both, either or neither just as the editors prefer.
PapersAndPaychecks

Magic user 1

Buoyancy
Magic user 1
Range: 20 ft/level
Duration: 1 turn/level

This spell is exactly like the second level magic user spell "Levitation", except that it only works underwater.

Cloud ladder
Magic user 1
Range: Nil
Duration: 1d4 rounds + 1 round/level

The caster lights a fire from some smoky material and, with hands enchanted by this spell, shapes the smoke into a ladder or staircase. The ladder is anchored to the fire beneath, and will be rigid and secure (even if not leaning against anything above). Its maximum height is 10 ft per level of the caster. The caster may cancel this spell at will, causing the smoke to dissipate. In this case anything on the ladder will fall.

Flash
Magic user 1
Range: 30 ft + 5 ft/level
Duration: 1 segment

With a dramatic gesture, the caster of a flash spell causes an intense lightburst in the direction of his or her choice. Creatures within 10 ft of the burst must save against spells. If they fail they are blinded for 1d4 rounds. If they pass they will be blinking and staggering for 1d4 rounds; affected creatures can act normally, but if they fight they attack at -2 "to hit" and suffer a -2 penalty to their armour class. Creatures outside the 10 ft area are unaffected even if they are looking directly at the flash. Eyeless creatures, such as golems or slimes, are always unaffected by this spell.

Know history
Magic user 1
Range: 120 ft
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell may be cast on a creature or an object. Cast on a creature, it will reveal its name, ancestry and reputation. Cast on an object, it will reveal its name, origin, purpose and any important events with which it may have been involved. However, the spell cannot tell whether an object is magical, divine, or cursed, nor will it tell any command words. If cast on a creature, the creature may roll a saving throw vs spells, and if it passes then the spell will reveal only common knowledge, not any secrets.
PapersAndPaychecks

Magic user 2

Breath of life
Magic user 2
Range: 100 ft
Duration: 5 turns

Like feather fall, this spell is extremely fast to cast. It empowers one or more creatures selected by the caster to hold their breath for five turns, thereby surviving gas, vacuum, or underwater situations. It can be cast even if the caster him- or herself is underwater, using the breath that remains in the caster's lungs.

Gaseous form
Magic user 2
Range: Touch

This spell has the same effect as imbibing a Potion of Gaseous Form. Unwilling targets get a saving throw, but willing targets may forego it.

Protection from charm
Magic user 2
Duration: 1 round/level

By casting this spell, the mage grants a saving throw bonus against charm effects. The bonus is determined according to the following table:-

Code: Select all

Caster level        Bonus granted 
3                   +1 
4 to 6              +2 
7 to 9              +3 
10 to 12            +4 
13 or higher        +5 
Charm effects that do not have a saving throw are unaffected.

Scent mask
Magic user 2

This spell eliminates all odours from the target (including the target's clothing and equipment) for the spell's duration. The target is "invisible" to the sense of smell and will leave no scent-traces, so could not be tracked by a bloodhound or similar creature. Certain creatures that rely on odour for offence or defence, such as skunks, ghasts or troglodytes, might want to roll a saving throw against this spell, and if they pass the spell will not affect them.

Note to editor: This is also submitted as a first level illusionist spell, if illusionist spells are in scope for the publication.

Silencing hand
Magic user 2
Range: 40 ft

With this spell the caster conjures the sensation of a hand-shaped force that will move to obstruct the target's mouth (or similar vocal orifice), muffling its lips in such a way as to prevent speech. The target may not cast spells with a verbal component, operate any magic item that requires a command word, or talk. However, the spell does not impede bite attacks, breath weapons, or any other use of the mouth apart from speech. The target does receive a saving throw and if it passes, then the spell has no effect.

Swift mount
Magic user 2
Duration: 2 hours + ½ hour/level

By means of a Swift mount spell, the caster doubles the movement speed of any ridden beast (including swimming or flying mounts), providing the beast is carrying no more than a normal load. Once the spell has expired the mount will be exhausted, capable of moving only if unladen, and even then at half its normal speed.

Swim
Magic user 2

The caster intones hermetic syllables that grant the targets greatly enhanced powers of swimming, provided they are no more than normally encumbered. Creatures affected by this spell can swim at 180 ft per round, whether laterally, vertically or at any other angle, and will not be affected by pressure even if swimming at great depth, or pressure changes even if their depth changes rapidly (so the spell prevents the "bends"). Any target wearing heavy armour or otherwise encumbered retains the benefit of protection from pressure and/or pressure changes, but will still sink normally, and can only move by walking along the bed or bottom of the watercourse or ocean.

The combination of Swim and Buoyancy (the first level magic user spell, q.v.) is synergistic. A character under the influence of both spells moves at 240 ft per round irrespective of encumbrance, provided the encumbrance is less than 500 lbs.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

PapersAndPaychecks wrote:Correction of Gamchicoth
Cleric 1
Range: 30 ft
Duration: 13 rounds

The target receives a saving throw vs spells. If it fails for the spell's duration the target suffers 1 hp of damage each time it hits a creature in melee. With the reverse, Punishment of Nehema, for the spell's duration any creature striking the target in melee is healed for 1 hp.

Both the normal and reverse form of the spell may be in effect on the same creature, but multiple spells of this type will overwrite the previous ones rather than add to them. For example, if a creature is under the sixth level divine spell Vituperation of Nehema, a Correction of Gamchicoth will work as normal but a Punishment of Nehema will erase the previous spell.
I'm working my way through your spells, P&P, and I'm finding the example for this one a bit hard to follow. Evidently, "spells of this type" applies not just to this spell and its reverse, but to other higher level spells? I think we need a clearer explanation of what is meant here.

Maybe I'm just dense.
PapersAndPaychecks

Oh, sorry, yes, there are higher-level versions of that spell coming. :)
PapersAndPaychecks

Actually I see that I've already posted the higher-level versions upthread. Hope that makes sense...

Forget
Magic user 2
Range: 30 ft
Duration: Permanent

This spell causes the target to forget immediate past events. The spell removes memory of the last round plus one additional round per three caster levels. The caster decides which creatures within the spell's range to affect, and these must make saving throws or suffer the loss of memory. The caster may designate no more than four creatures as the targets of the spell. If one is targeted, the saving throw is made with a -2 penalty; if two are targeted, the penalty is -1; and if 3 or 4 creatures are targeted they suffer no penalty to the saving throw. Lost memories can only be restored by heal, restoration, or wish.

Magic user 3

Temporal shield
Magic user 3

The creature touched is protected from the next single ageing effect it would suffer, whether this arises from a haste spell, ghost's attack, or other supernatural cause. The spell dissipates immediately if it nullifies an ageing effect, but otherwise lasts for the duration stated above.

Water walking
Magic user 3
Duration: 3d4 rounds + 1 round/level

This spell empowers the creature touched to walk on water as if it were solid ground for the spell's duration.

Giant strength
Magic user 4
Duration: 3 turns/lvl

This spell increases strength by an amount determined by the caster's level. The increases can not be made permanent by any other magic. If the creature's strength already exceeds the number shown then it is not reduced by the spell.

Code: Select all

Magic user level    New Strength Bonus 
7                   +2 to hit, +2 damage
8                   +2 to hit, +3 damage
9                   +3 to hit, +3 damage
10                  +3 to hit, +4 damage
11                  +3 to hit, +5 damage
12                  +3 to hit, +6 damage
13                  +3 to hit, +7 damage
14                  +3 to hit, +8 damage
15                  +4 to hit, +8 damage
16                  +4 to hit, +8 damage, able to hurl boulders like a hill giant
17                  +4 to hit, +9 damage
18                  +4 to hit, +9 damage, able to hurl boulders like a frost giant
19                  +4 to hit, +10 damage
20                  +4 to hit, +10 damage, able to hurl boulders like a fire giant
21+                 +5 to hit, +10 damage, able to hurl boulders like a cloud giant
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, I'm working my way through this supplement. I don't know if I'll use all of your spells here, P&P, as I'm really trying to keep New Spells compact, but I can promise that at least some of them will be in there.

I'm curious about the spell Pacifism. I'm not sure who originally submitted it, but I'm considering dropping it. It seems underpowered for its level, for one thing, and it's not really compelling to me as a spell. As in, I can't see myself ever preparing it if I were playing a magic-user and had it on my list.