Converting monsters from BFRPG to Iron Falcon

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
JenniferRPG

Converting monsters from BFRPG to Iron Falcon

Post by JenniferRPG »

Was wondering if you could share all the formula(s) needed to convert a BFRPG monster to Iron Falcon. I'd like to use the BFRPG core rule book & Field Guide monsters in IF games.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Converting monsters from BFRPG to Iron Falcon

Post by Solomoriah »

AC is the main thing. Deduct the AC from 20 to get the correct AC for the other system.

I.E. AC of 15 is 5 (chain mail). Works in both directions, so AC 3 in IF is AC 17 in BFRPG.

The only stat that is likely to give you trouble is morale. IF's morale model is very different from BFRPG. Any creature with a BFRPG morale score of 12 never checks morale in IF; for other creatures, I'd just apply the IF system directly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Thank you.

I am just curious. When I use the formula you give, it's correct -- it matches up with the AC of the monsters in the Moldvay basic book and the 1978 Monster Manual.

Swords & Wizardry also has the same descending AC.

But what is interesting, for S&W ascending AC it is off by 1 point from the ascending AC of BFRPG.

Why is this? This is confusing me, lol.

Jennifer
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Thank you.

I am just curious. When I use the formula you give, it's correct -- it matches up with the AC of the monsters in the Moldvay basic book and the 1978 Monster Manual.

Swords & Wizardry also has the same descending AC.

But what is interesting, for S&W ascending AC it is off by 1 point from the ascending AC of BFRPG.

Why is this? This is confusing me, lol.

Jennifer
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

S&W "attack bonus" start at +0 while BF starts at +1, I think that is the reason
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Good logic, but incorrect ordering.

Looking over the early SRD versions, I noted that a character in chain mail had an AC of 15. This would be the same as AC 5 for an earlier edition; thus, the math I'm using is based on this equivalence.

I made +1 the minimum 1st level bonus after choosing the AC scale, so as to achieve the same odds of a 1st level character hitting as in the classic games.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org