The future of Iron Falcon?

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
The Pilgrim

The future of Iron Falcon?

Post by The Pilgrim »

So are there any plans for the future of Iron Falcon?

I see on Google + it was said there was no art budget to replace the few public domain images in the book. Can I donate some money so you can buy some art packs on rpg now? This game needs some sweet old school art.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The future of Iron Falcon?

Post by Solomoriah »

Honestly, no, I don't have future plans.

Iron Falcon is something I'm proud of, but sadly not something I use very much; Basic Fantasy RPG is my first love, and I pretty much live there these days. But I absolutely want to hear your ideas... please, feel free to say what you think.

I know you'd prefer a more art-heavy work, and I do appreciate the offer of money to get nicer art, but I don't want to go with a "generic" art pack. If I do add artwork, I'll pay individual artists (preferably those who have already worked for free on Basic Fantasy) to do pieces for the game. A way of giving back to those who have supported my projects.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
The Pilgrim

Post by The Pilgrim »

I understand wanting to commision art. I just thought since you don't have an art budget that buying art packs might be the way to go. Plus I don't see much of a difference between art packs and public domain images.

I've never hired an artist but I believe I have read that they can be expensive. So would you take donations? I hate to say it but maybe do a kickstarter to fund art?

I'm not sure if the best way forward. I just know this game needs art. I think it would help sell it and I know you are trying to make a bit of money for it
The Pilgrim

Post by The Pilgrim »

Oh and as far as the artists who have already worked on BFRPG. Artikid has quite a bit of art on rpgnow. Maybe there are other BFRPG artists on there too?

I'm sure he wouldnt mind making a sale :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The Pilgrim wrote:I understand wanting to commision art. I just thought since you don't have an art budget that buying art packs might be the way to go. Plus I don't see much of a difference between art packs and public domain images.
$$$$

:D
The Pilgrim wrote:I've never hired an artist but I believe I have read that they can be expensive. So would you take donations? I hate to say it but maybe do a kickstarter to fund art?
I might accept donations, but I will never Kickstarter.
The Pilgrim wrote:I'm not sure if the best way forward. I just know this game needs art.
Why?

Seriously, why? I'm not sure I understand. I love good art, but I don't need it to enjoy a game.
The Pilgrim

Post by The Pilgrim »

Yes I agree with you that good art is not needed to enjoy a game. I enjoy the game now.

I was writing a big counter argument for art. But I'll sum it up. I bought one soft cover. I won't buy another. I'll add art to pdf and print copies for my players. I prefer hard backs but I won't purchase one. So that is a couple sales missed.

I don't want to convince you to add art. It's your game. But if you ever decide to do it. I'll be first in line to give you money.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Really. So the lack of art is a dealbreaker for you then? Fascinating.

I may reconsider. I don't know. You're not the first to mention the artwork (or lack thereof) but you are the first to say outright that you won't buy it without art.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I like the artwork that's in Iron Falcon, and that it's used sparingly. I don't think a core rules-book needs much if any art, though I certainly appreciate when it's used for some monster illustrations or such, but I also like using my own imagination to envision my own unique take on monsters, locales, heroes, etc.
The Pilgrim

Post by The Pilgrim »

Well I knew what the art was like from the pdf but I still bought a copy. When I received it the magic user on page 5 is a little faded and blurry. Which is what kind of started my thoughts on the whole art thing.

Anyways no big deal, really. Still an awesome game. Stay old school my friends.
mindtech

Post by mindtech »

I don't believe that the lack of art is a deal breaker at all. When I was a kid I would fawn over the artwork and let my imagination run wild. Today, I'm more than happy to let the memories of yesteryear fill in the visuals.

The reason why someone (or specifically in my case, me) would buy Iron Falcon is for two reasons: 1) I have a rule set that is current and supported. 2) I can support Chris and his work. He puts out good product and I want to continue seeing product down the road.

To further my point, even without any new art and with just some minor modifications made to the source, I'm going to be replacing my physical copy Release 50 with Release 52. Seeing that Lulu has a free shipping code for the next few days (SHIPWEEK16), this is the perfect time to do so. No new art? Big deal!

Also, I just found that Iron Falcon Adventures One is for sale. I always knew it was in PDF form, but I didn't know it was ever for sale but I will be adding it to my cart too.

TL;DR: No art? No problem!