CS1 Castle by the Sea

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
teaman

Re: CS1 Castle by the Sea

Post by teaman »

chiisu81 wrote:Looks good as always! :) Be sure to email 300-dpi version to Solo.
I just sent the picture to Solo, and thanks for the kind words.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Castle by the Sea

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote:Fortress of the Barbarian Queen

pg 26 – Notes on the Castle – Wandering Monsters

There are several wandering monsters, but they haven’t been given any stats.
I said before that detailing wandering monsters isn't a requirement, but we're going to do it. I'll try to get it done before the next release.
AlMan wrote:pg 29 – 12. Staircase – second paragraph

“The barbarians have set the stars with a rolling barrel trap.”

Should be

“The barbarians have set the stairs with a rolling barrel trap.”
As I noted before, the rolling barrel trap makes no sense. The Lead Filled Juggernaut of Death which does 1d4 points of damage? Nope. I've changed the filler to gravel (still pretty heavy), removed the "large" bit from the description, and upped the damage to 1d12. Also added the chance the trap will be tripped.

Now for the parts I left unfinished before:
AlMan wrote:Castle Under the Sea

pg 36 – 17. East Hall – 6 Locathah with spears:

For each set of boxes two are missing.
Good catch. Fixed.
AlMan wrote:Call of Doom

pg 38 – What’s going on here? 3rd paragraph
“By some perverse gift of the god of undead, t can cast the spells it knew in life,…”

Should be

“By some perverse gift of the god of the undead, it can cast the spells it knew in life,…”
Fixed.
AlMan wrote:Open Game License

pg 49 – 15 Copyright Notice

May need to include copyright notice for the Barbarian Supplement since it was mentioned in “Fortress of the Barbarian Queen”
Done. Doing that means importing several copyright notices since Barbarians derives from several other supplements. Not that it matters, in this case, as there are already a bunch of copyright statements in there due to using the Field Guide.

I need to do a full reading of the adventures in this module; I suspect there are many small issues of presentation that need ironing out.

I'm going to post a release which does not include the missing wandering monster stats (one of the reasons I want to read the module is to figure out how the larger wandering monsters fit in to that adventure) but which does incorporate all the changes to date. Feel free to review the new release and let me know if you find anything else.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dawnivia the Red

Post by Dawnivia the Red »

Thanks everyone so far for helping make the necessary edits to my barbarian adventure. Since I'm still fairly new to writing adventures for a wider audience besides a singular gaming group it helps me to learn--especially since I'd love to write a full print length adventure supplement at some point down the road.

I appreciate the edits made so far--particularly fixing the rolling barrel trap.

I noticed there was some concern about having all the monsters on the floor below while the barbarians lived upstairs. Would you guys say the whole lower floor would need to be revamped to fix this issue?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, I'm mostly concerned with the wandering monsters... where do they live? If they are coming in from outside, why don't the barbarians lock the doors or something?
Dawnivia the Red

Post by Dawnivia the Red »

Is it acceptable to remove the wandering monsters all together and simply stick with the monsters who area already present? The barbarians would most likely take precautions to keep any more monsters from entering the building, like you said.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd be good with that. I'll get that into the next release.

Several of the adventures use forms of they as singular pronouns. On the general question of whether or not to do this, I'm undecided, but for Basic Fantasy products it's against the style guidelines. (Did I ever write those down? I forget.) I'll be making a pass looking for those situations, but if any of you notice any such cases then please post them here for my review. Thanks!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'll add that to my in-progress Style Guide. I've seen many uses of "they" or "him or her", and we use the traditional "him/his" correct?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"his or her"/"him or her" etc. is standard. We use inclusive language, without violating the rules of English as they were circa 1981.

Many times, I rewrite parts in a different way to avoid needing "his or her" constructions. In particular, I try never to have more than one in a single sentence. But I'm not sure that's appropriate for the style guide... as I've said before, some rules should remain unwritten.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Thanks for including the mermaid in the latest release. She looks great!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Working on R8 and will then email to Solo.