Tainted and Touched

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Tainted and Touched

Post by SmootRK »

OK, so recent posts got me moving creatively. Here is my take on the Tiefling/Aasimar sort of thing. I like the direction it took, becoming akin to Quasi-Classes... basically a Quasi-Race sort of idea.

Please give it a look and critique. If the collective here feels it is worthy, then I will put this into the showcase, but it can probably use a little polishing first.

EDIT: Files updated with suggestions and corrections.
File also added to Showcase.
Attachments
Tainted and Touched.pdf
(84.8 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
Tainted and Touched.odt
(35.9 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Blood axe

Re: Tainted & Touched

Post by Blood axe »

Nice!
One criticism is that I think the Half-Tainteds spell bonus might be more useful and be able to increase more spells then the the Half-Touched ability.

Is a Dark Elf or Half-Dragon in the works too? :D Hope so!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am inclined to give the Touched bonus of +2/die of healing spells, in addition to what I have mentioned already.

Perhaps I can work on others soon as well. Some of my entries in the New Monster Thread were designed as potentials for new races... especially in my campaign that has a Paleo Semi-IceAge North American sort of vibe. I really got to get some of my campaign ideas down in print... basically in my head and I don't even know if the players notice the difference really.
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

Great work Smoot. Here are a handful of suggestions:
Regardless of back story, the character with such
becomes something more.
I think back story here should be one word.

We also need to fix the headers, they still say "Old Monsters as New Races".

The bonus Darkvision is a cool touch. I would change to say that creatures without Darkvision get the bonus 30' and creatures with Darkvision get bonus 15'.

Here are the files with those suggestions:
Attachments
Tainted and Touched.odt
(35.83 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Tainted and Touched.pdf
(85.73 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

spidyfan21 wrote:Great work Smoot. Here are a handful of suggestions:
Regardless of back story, the character with such
becomes something more.
I think back story here should be one word.

We also need to fix the headers, they still say "Old Monsters as New Races".

The bonus Darkvision is a cool touch. I would change to say that creatures without Darkvision get the bonus 30' and creatures with Darkvision get bonus 15'.

Here are the files with those suggestions:
All suggestions taken into account (although I like round numbers so I chose +10' Darkvision extension instead). Also added in the +2/die bonus to healing effects (in addition to the casting at +2 levels higher). I took time to modify the text so that every reference is not capitalized. (I write so poorly on first drafts). Spidyfan21 and Blood axe, please PM me how you would like to be credited, as I feel that both of you contributed to this (noting the other threads' communications as well). I would not have even gotten started on this if it didn't initially start elsewhere with the ideas provided.

I will update the files in the first post shortly after I finish going through the document again.
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

No credit for me, you did all the hard work. Hope to see more like this. I love the Orc, Goblins, and other humanoid races. Great stuff. I'm thinking of a humanoid campaign.
Longman

Post by Longman »

A few suggestions

Innate ability to detect evil / good?
Vulnerable to protection from evil / good, etc.
Bless and curse spells and have the opposite effect, etc.

Seems like a nice simple take on this idea. I was thought the 'tiefling' was badly overcooked in Pathfinder, so good to see it getting a basic treatment.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Longman wrote:A few suggestions

Innate ability to detect evil / good?
Vulnerable to protection from evil / good, etc.
Bless and curse spells and have the opposite effect, etc.

Seems like a nice simple take on this idea. I was thought the 'tiefling' was badly overcooked in Pathfinder, so good to see it getting a basic treatment.
BFRPG being sans actual alignment, made me want to gloss over such topics, however I can see where Protection from Evil/Good might be appropriate. If I remember correctly in other game/editions, the spell specifically mentions outsiders... however, BFRPG's spell does not necessarily mention outsiders in the same way. I am going to consider this, but not rush into the change.

FYI - because I feel like I am onto something almost formulaic in how I did this, I might do the elemental or gensai sorts in similar fashion. For when those genies (ie marids, dao, djinni, or efreeti folk) or other elemental humanoids get freaky-deaky with the mortals. It is a finer line though, as I do not believe Gensai show up as open content.
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

I kind of like the idea of them being affected by Protection from Evil/Good. it shows their "not of this world", at least partially. Maybe just a limited effect of a +1 bonus to those being protected.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'd be interested to see the genie / dao /efreet supplement. I'm running a game in which such creatures are found, and I am interested in the notion that they might have semi-human offspring. Hadn't occurred to me before.