The Pit

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

The Pit

Post by Solomoriah »

EDIT 11/12/2016:

I've combined the voting thread and the submissions thread together here, and done it wrong... sorry. The vote record is gone. Oops. As noted below, gorkowskij was the winner with 6 votes, while the other contestants received 2 votes each.

The downloads for the combined adventure appear below.

--------------------------

It's time for another adventure contest!

Long ago, a powerful and evil wizard (to be named later) built a huge tower, and beneath it an extensive dungeon area. He ruled the surrounding territory with an iron fist for years, until one night during a strange storm full of red lightning the tower, and the wizard, simply disappeared.

But the dungeon levels beneath still remain. The place where the tower once stood is now called "The Pit" by the locals, who avoid it entirely. The Pit is said to no longer have floors, just a staircase that winds around and around down into the darkness.

SO HERE'S THE CONTEST:

1) Create a single dungeon level. You should designate a difficulty level, no less than 3rd nor more than 7th. The level should have at least 10 but not more than 25 numbered areas, and must be complete (i.e. something must be in each room; rooms may be "empty" in the sense of no monsters, traps, or treasure, but each room should have a description). All levels submitted must include the entrance from the Pit (and the area of the Pit itself). For your convenience, I've created a starter map:

If you use MapMatic +2, you may start by copying the map I've drawn; it's in the Public Maps area.

You may rotate the map I've provided, and you may add a door, archway, etc. but you may not otherwise alter the Pit area shown (i.e. no adding secret doors). Your level may wrap around the provided map area, but should not ascend or descend as that might conflict with other submitted levels.

2) All submissions must be licensed under the OGL (as presented in the Core Rules) and be entirely composed of Open Game Content as defined in that license.

3) Other than your map, please do not submit artwork; if you wish to provide artwork later for publication purposes (i.e. after the contest is over), that will be acceptable.

4) All Monsters must be found in the Core Rules or Field Guide. You may modify them, of course, but please don't submit any truly new monsters.

5) All submissions must be in by May 15th 2016. As before, the winner will be chosen by a public vote on the forum, which will be open for one week. Please give your level a name, to make the voting easier.

6) One entry per person, please.

The winner will receive a $25.00 Amazon.com gift card. After the contest is over, all qualifying submissions will be collected, sorted into a reasonable order based on the declared levels of difficulty, and compiled into a single adventure module for later publication.

I'll create a thread in the Workshop in a few days where entries may be posted.
Attachments
BFRPG-The-Pit-r9.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 272 times
BFRPG-The-Pit-r9.odt
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 222 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: "The Pit" Adventure Contest

Post by Solomoriah »

Oh, yes, I forgot one more rule:

If there are fewer than two entries by May 15th 2016, the contest is null and void.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'll have a go...

But, is there any chance you could do a few sample levels on Mapmatic and then I'll just have a go with one of those?

(Edit: I have tried Mapmatic and it drives me bonkers.)
gorkowskij

Post by gorkowskij »

Comrades

I too intend to submit one level of the pit. I've attached the start of my map. Can you confirm that I have correctly followed the instructions about including the core pit area unaltered. I hope to get by without Mapmatic?

Thanks
John
Attachments
Pit Contest Pic.png
Pit Contest Pic.png (46.49 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I see no problem with how you have represented the starting area. I do wonder about those chairs... they're nearly 10 feet wide! Them are some BIG dudes...
gorkowskij

Post by gorkowskij »

Right, can I declare a scale of five feet per square? Or should we just have a standard of 10 feet per square?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The scale should be 10' squares, in true Old School style.
gorkowskij

Post by gorkowskij »

Awesome! Oh, excuse me, I meant to say, "groovy."
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:Oh, yes, I forgot one more rule:

If there are fewer than two entries by May 15th 2016, the contest is null and void.
Could those entries be put into AA2?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

chiisu81 wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:Oh, yes, I forgot one more rule:

Could those entries be put into AA2?
Sure, why waste it? But there's really not a competition with less than 2 participants.