Magical Item Compendium

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Clever_Munkey

Magical Item Compendium

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I was recently inspired by the magic of the Discworld series, so I thought I would share what I came up with. Not all of these are going to be related to Discworld, that's just where some of the initial ideas came from.

Of course other people are free to share their creations.
Attachments
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r9.odt
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 273 times
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r9.pdf
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 499 times
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Clever_Munkey

Re: Some Magic Items

Post by Clever_Munkey »

This one was inspired by Kring, and the various magic sword which Rincewind described as having "disruptive" magic auras.

This +1, +3 vs Arcane Casters, (one-handed) sword is covered in rough angular engravings. On an attack roll of natural 20 against an Arcane caster it removes one spell the caster had memorized starting with the highest level spell known. Once per day the wielder of this weapon may dispel all arcane magical effects in a 30 foot radius. Permanent effects dispelled this way return after one turn.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Another one inspired by The Color of Magic.

This is a semi-intelligent nearly indestructible treasure chest, with a volume of about 4.5 cubic feet, that follows its owner around on a multitude of centipede like legs. A chest will always try to follow its owner to the best of its ability. It is surprisingly capable of swimming, jumping and even climbing sheer surfaces. If the chest is prevented a path to its owner it may attempt to make one of its own.

Rarely a chest is found that has a much larger volume inside than out, and even fewer are the ones that are intelligent enough to defend its owner from attack.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds like you need to give that last one some stats like a monster...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Solomoriah wrote:Sounds like you need to give that last one some stats like a monster...
I was thinking the same thing, but was too tired to do it, so here they are now.

Name: Chest
Armor Class: 13†
Hit Dice: 10**
No. of Attacks 1 slam
Damage: 1d10
Movement: 60' Climb: 50' Swim: 50'
No. Appearing: -
Save As: Fighter 5
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: -
XP: 1,480

As stated above the chest is actually indestructible except by powerful magic (+4 or higher magic weapon, or level 5 or higher spells). The Chest does not normally get involved in combat, unless it is truly exceptional. However if there is something that tries to prevent it from its duty it is capable of charging its foes according to the normal charge rules.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Amulet of Fortune

This item grants its power to any living creature which carries it; it need not be worn, brandished, or wielded, as it is enough that it be on its owner's person. So long as the amulet is carried by a creature, that creature receives the benefit of fortune on all of its die rolls (whether they be attack rolls, saving throws, thief abilities, or any other sort of roll). The bearer of the amulet makes two rolls each time, and if either roll is a success, the bearer has succeeded. Each time the bearer benefits from the amulet (i.e. each time one or the other roll is a failure), the amulet accumulates a jinx point. If both rolls are a success, a jinx point is not added to the amulet.

If, however, both rolls are a failure, the amulet backfires. The jinx points accumulated by the amulet are distributed to the bearer and to all of its allies within a 10' radius who do not make saving throws vs. Paralyzation. (The bearer never receives a save in this case.) After determining how many creatures have been affected, the GM should divide the points as evenly among the victims as possible, with any remainder added to the bearer's total.

Each time a creature who has received jinx points makes a die roll (attack roll, saving throw, etc. as above), he or she must roll twice, and will only succeed if both rolls are successful. Each time this happens, one jinx point is removed. Jinx points are only removed for die rolls that are meaningful (i.e. picking your friend's pocket will not remove a point) and which will go badly for the victim if the roll fails (so attempting to backstab a friend, which is generally not a desirable thing to do, will not be impeded by the jinx magic).

Amulets of fortune are not cursed as such, and so the bearer may dispose of one whenever he or she chooses. However, to dispose of an amulet of this sort properly, the bearer must relinquish it and then move at least 10' away from the amulet before it ceases to affect him or her. Jinx points, once transferred to a creature, may only be removed by making important die rolls (as noted above) or by remove curse (which removes just one point for each casting).

These amulets are subject to detect magic but any attempt to determine the exact sort of magic will fail (excepting a wish, which may succeed if properly worded). They are commonly made in a variety of forms, such as a rabbit's foot, various figurines, dream catchers, and so on. There are stories of a king who owned a ring carved from a single huge emerald which had this magic upon it. However, amulets of fortune are also sometimes made in forms not easily recognized, such as the famous "lucky penny" (a copper piece with this enchantment). This may in some cases make it hard for a character to divest him- or herself of such an amulet.

An amulet of fortune found in a treasure hoard has a 50% chance to already be storing jinx points; if so, roll 1d20 twice and take the smallest figure as the number it has within it. It is thus possible to suffer bad luck from such an amulet without having benefited from it first.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

A silly object

Rod of Lifting: A magical crowbar.
GM's discretion whether it actually does anything since a normal crowbar is already technically a rod made for lifting without being magical. If it is decided that it has an effect, I suggest a +3 bonus to opening stuck doors, pry out objects, etc.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

A less silly object inspired by the Law of Conservation of Reality.

Staff of lifting:
Allows Telekinesis as per the spell (50 lbs per Magic User Level). In addition the caster may choose to lift something larger than their limit, but must make an ability roll with intelligence bonus each round, or end the effect, and take (1d12) + (1d12 per 50 pounds above the normal limit), as the backlash attempts to leverage their brain out of their head.

limit<weight<limit+50 does 1d12 ; limit+50<weight<limit+100 does 2d12 ; etc.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Scabbard of Holding

This item appears to be an ordinary dagger scabbard. However, it can accept any sword regardless of size, so long as its blade is not wider than 5 inches at any point; the scabbard widens to accept the blade if necessary (or shrinks to fit a narrow blade) but is never longer than an average dagger scabbard. Even a great sword can be contained and concealed by this scabbard, although in that case the large two-handed grip may give the deception away. While contained within the scabbard, the wearer will support only the weight of a normal dagger rather than the full weight of the sword, whatever that might be.

Scabbard of Shortening

This scabbard appears to all intents and purposes identical to the scabbard of holding, but each time a sword is inserted into it, there is a chance equal to 1-6 on 1d20 that the sword will be permanently shortened to the length of the scabbard, thus becoming a dagger. Magic swords placed in the scabbard add their bonuses to the die roll, thus reducing the odds that the sword will be affected; for swords having multiple bonuses, the lowest bonus is applied. A magic sword which is shortened by the scabbard retains its full enchantment, and is otherwise unharmed, but its damage die becomes that of a normal dagger (i.e. 1d4).

Variable Sword

A variable sword, when discovered, normally appears to be a dagger +3. The weapon has three command words, each of which alters the size and power of the weapon; one word causes the weapon to become a shortsword +2, another makes it a longsword +1, and still another command word restores it to dagger length.

If affected by a scabbard of shortening, a variable sword is simply changed back into its dagger +3 form as if the relevant command word were spoken. The variable sword is thus fully immune to the damaging effect of the scabbard of shortening.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Straight out of roguelikes

Scroll of Magic Mapping:
When this scroll is activated the surrounding terrain within a certain range (GM discretion) is automatically drawn onto the scroll. This is purposely left ambiguous so that the GM can decide if it draws at the current elevation (e.g. as in a dungeon), or as a topographical map (e.g. in the wilderness), or any other way that the GM or player wants.

Scroll of Magic Mapping, Greater:
When this scroll is activated the surrounding area is automatically drawn onto the scroll just as the lesser version, however as the scroll moves with its user it redraws itself to reveal the new terrain within range, and erase any terrain now out of range. It can be deactivated in the same way to allow the map to be moved to a new location without erasing useful information.