Quick Character Generation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Quick Character Generation

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for Chris Kutalik's Quick Character Generation supplement.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#quickcharacter
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Quick Character Generation

Post by Hywaywolf »

Has anyone made a form out out of this
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not as far as I know.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I know a lot of people use this supplement for creating play-by-post characters; I did, for the Redbluff game. However, I have had issues with this, mainly because the stats provided cover a bit more range than is really good for this usage.

The supplement assumes that the player will roll a d20 to choose a stat list, so the balance issues aren't such a problem in a face-to-face game; but for online use we usually want to let the players choose one (possibly with a no-repeats rule such as the one I used in Redbluff).

I'd like to swap out the stats given for a set that are more suitable. The stat table I'm working up has a total bonus of +2 for every set, enough that players shouldn't have anything to complain about but not so high that the PCs become godlike. It's in five groups of four sets: four each of stat lists for the four main classes, plus two fighter/magic-users and two magic-user/thieves.

However, I don't want to step on any toes, nor cause anyone problems. So I'm asking for opinions here on my plan. Should I go forward?
quozl

Post by quozl »

Sounds good to me!
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Go forward!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Very well then.
teaman

Post by teaman »

This is nice work, and I could even see using it to develop major NPC's or plots ("Survived a magical disaster", I can definitely use that!)

Thanks to the author.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

Firstly, this is a really great supplement. I took three new players through character creation in about 15 minutes - and they ended up with characters with enough depth they could easily establish their relationship (i.e. how they know each other and why they're there) in the first "scene".

---

There's a repetition/contradiction in the first paragraph of step 1:

"Alternately, the player might be allowed to simply choose a row, but if this is done the player should not be allowed to choose a row."

should probably read:

"Alternatively, the player might be allowed to simply choose a row, but if this is done the player should not be allowed rearrange scores."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solomoriah wrote:I know a lot of people use this supplement for creating play-by-post characters; I did, for the Redbluff game. However, I have had issues with this, mainly because the stats provided cover a bit more range than is really good for this usage.

The supplement assumes that the player will roll a d20 to choose a stat list, so the balance issues aren't such a problem in a face-to-face game; but for online use we usually want to let the players choose one (possibly with a no-repeats rule such as the one I used in Redbluff).

I'd like to swap out the stats given for a set that are more suitable. The stat table I'm working up has a total bonus of +2 for every set, enough that players shouldn't have anything to complain about but not so high that the PCs become godlike. It's in five groups of four sets: four each of stat lists for the four main classes, plus two fighter/magic-users and two magic-user/thieves.

However, I don't want to step on any toes, nor cause anyone problems. So I'm asking for opinions here on my plan. Should I go forward?
I think that would be more reasonable than all those 18s. But some people do like a more robust hero, so perhaps when you change the table you could add an optional rule that adds something to the stats: like rolling a 1d4 and placing wherever you want, max of 2 points per ability or something similar.