Old School Ink

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Babarock

Old School Ink

Post by Babarock »

Sorry about the rant...

Thought I'd better start a thread for something I feel is important to the integrity of the game. I'm a Pathfinder refugee. It's all just become ridiculous. 600 page core rule books. Libraries of reference. Hand-cuffed GM's trapped inside the box. I feel strongly compelled to use the old black ink style. In today's environment, both printing and online execution have no restrictions on color, but the vaguest outline of what the game world looks like feels much more appropriate to the spirit of the game.

Think about it. Isn't this game (and all others like it) supposed to depend on the imagination? What's with all the epic, super-awesome, comic-book-cover artwork out there that we cant seem to play the game without? We're getting addicted to the imagery that a handful of artists shell out as if its gospel truth. I find myself often saying, "That's not how I pictured it." I can't even find an illustration of a kobold that doesn't look like he's a level 17 barbarian dragon-mage. These are the weenies of the fantasy world. Since when did they become indistinguishable from lizardmen? They used to be puppies (ask Liz)!

So, why do we need the 3D rendered maps and the epic artwork and the handy ipads and the background sound effects in game? Because we've grown lazy and spoiled with video games and movies (including myself) that lay it all out for us in spades. Lets keep the tabletop as a sanctuary. A temple for the theater of the mind. A bench press for the imagination! Post your inkings here and I will join you. Free the mind! Free the mind!
BF Core also has a fine illustration that captures the original
BF Core also has a fine illustration that captures the original
Kobold Evolution Small.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 8731 times
Last edited by Babarock on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babarock

Re: Old School Ink

Post by Babarock »

The Kobold
The nasty little weenies of the fantasy world. I love these guys because you can throw them at 1st level characters without a severe threat (you gotta throw something at them). You can also gather them into hoards against higher level heroes. Their not as cliche as the goblins (coming soon) and not as easy to parlay with either. Their almost cowardly morale ensures that they will very likely run screaming from the conflict, which makes for nice chase scenes. Lets not allow kobold to get epic. The world needs a few pushovers.
Kobold.png
Kobold.png (157.12 KiB) Viewed 8650 times
Last edited by Babarock on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Very cool, thank you!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

That's a fantastic image :)

Traditionally each artist makes their own thread in the Art section to show off multiple works. If you want to have this thread for others to show a few images that's fine, otherwise this can be your thread. 8-)
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

The Giant Ant
Anything so diminutive and familiar should be illustrated with a ferocity that doesn't stray too far from the real thing. They should be thicker and more armored, as is the result of longer life spans and the necessity of supporting so heavy a bulk with an exoskeleton. They should also be illustrated with scale to something familiar to convince the viewer that what they're seeing is indeed large.
Giant Ant with Skull.png
Giant Ant with Skull.png (174.05 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Very Nice! Your style evokes the basic vibe very well. Perfect fit for BFRPG endeavors.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Man, I like that ant. I'm not going through the work that it takes to do a new revision of the Core Rules just now, but if I ever do I really should include that ant.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

While my tools are digital now... I must say, I enjoy the old school pen and ink illustrations from the 70's and 80's and into the mid 90's. Be they the Brian Smith GURPS drawings, Allen Nunnis in WEG Star Wars, or any host of others out there. There is something to be said for how technology has certainly made some imaginations lazy and seemingly in need of epic Photoshop 3D rendered comic book figures in every rule book.

Part of why I'm drawn to this project is how this community has embraced pen and ink, black and white, or just plain old good grey scale work.
Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

Need some art? Check out these selected galleries for your gaming needs:
Photobucket OGL OSR images: http://photobucket.com/SudsysOGL
Sudsy's DA Gallery: http://sudsysutherland.deviantart.com/gallery/2194414
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

The Spell Book
I suppose the matter of mixed media should be represented. This is a sketch that started with a #2 pencil and was then inked with a flair pen. It was then scanned and cleaned up in Gimp as well as embellished with a textured backdrop that blends well on the finished character sheet and accents the light and smoke. Most of the sketching I do now is with a stylus, but the style is what we want to capture. Lets not be paper snobs and poopoo the value of digital tools to improve on the old school style as long as the nature and spirit of the style is upheld.
Spellbook.jpg
Spellbook.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 8573 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Babarock, if you are interested in doing some art for us right now, please download the PDF of JN3 from the Downloads page and take a look. Any of the adventure segments that end with significant white space below could use some artwork. As always, rather than ask for specific pieces, I invite you to read through the adventure and illustrate whatever catches your fancy.

Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org