Hard Cover

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
greymark

Hard Cover

Post by greymark »

Received the hardcover of Iron Falcon last week. Hardcover was really nice. I may have to get Basic Fantasy in hardcover as well.

It was interesting to see some of the differences. I am not real familiar with some of the earliest edition rule sets.

FYI - in case anyone is interested - Today through April 30, use code APRILFLASH for 25% off when you order any print books at Lulu.com.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Hard Cover

Post by Solomoriah »

Still waiting for mine. Glad it looks good.

Differences between Iron Falcon and Basic Fantasy:

-- Iron Falcon has many more spells and magic items, and a different mix of monsters.
-- IF uses descending AC, BFRPG is ascending.
-- IF runs characters up to the 22nd level, BFRPG stops at 20.
-- IF is looser, i.e. more vaguely defined, that BFRPG. This is by design in both cases... IF emulates an era when the game was more strongly colored by the GM's expectations, biases, and opinions.

There are more, I'm sure. Little things like skeletons and zombies are less powerful in IF than BFRPG. Turning undead is easier in IF too. Advancement rates for the various classes are all different too.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Trashcan

Post by Trashcan »

Mine came in while I was pushing hard to finish a chapter. Now that the worst of the rush has passed, I've now had a chance to look it over, and am very pleased. OD&D isn't my jam (as some of my earlier comments have made quite obvious), but I'm pleased to have a clear, playable iteration of the game in case I should want to run or participate in a session at some point.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Is there any way that amazon will ever do hardcovers? I ask because I live in the UK and lulu is US based so if I ever wanted a hardcopy of either bfrpg or iron falcon I would have to pay loads in shipping and tax.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

It was my understanding that Lulu, while being based in the US, does use multiple printers, including overseas. I thought if you were in Europe and ordered a book, it got printed and shipped from somewhere over there. Is that not the case? Anyone know for sure?
Trashcan

Post by Trashcan »

For what little it's worth, Lulu prints and ships in Canada to Canadian addresses. Indeed, their website suggests that a similar service is on offer for the EU:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/stores.ep

Does that help at all?
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

"Books are printed on demand at printing facilities around the world. This process is very efficient and environmentally friendly, but it can take just a bit more time."
Apparently any way. I would still have to pay the 20% extra VAT but oh well.
Trashcan

Post by Trashcan »

I've purchased a number of books in different binding styles (hardback, softback, and saddle stitch) from Lulu, and have had no reason for complaints thus far. The books seem to hold up well, and the deliveries are reasonably prompt. Your experience may differ, but I would think ordering the hardback from them would be a safe bet.

In any event, the ruleset looks quite good, and is worth the purchase.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Over on Dragonsfoot Karnos posted a pic of both BFRPG and IF in hardcover. Both look really nice, very happy to see such great and classic artwork adorn the covers of both of these games.
Vile

Post by Vile »

Got mine recently, looks and feels nice. And the conent isn't bad, either. ;)