Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Libram Magica

Post by chiisu81 »

Whew look what we stirred up. :D

I can agree with pretty much all sides of this. As this is in Showcase and is Smoot's baby, he's free to entertain and reject all ideas of what should and shouldn't be in the LM. I can understand this or any magic-related supplement not making it to print. I think the same problem/difficulties arise for those who keep asking for an advanced game/supplement.

For those who want to contribute more 0-level spells and/or new spells, there are documents on the Downloads page for those, and we certainly welcome more ideas, feedback, etc. in those threads. If those are added to or changed, it would be up to Smoot whether to update the LM as well.
nephelegereta

Re: Libram Magica - Name

Post by nephelegereta »

Sorry, I hate to be "that guy" but I am a Latin teacher by trade and the name "Libram Magica" is driving me crazy!

Not trying to be snarky or pedantic - please do not take offense!

If you are intending to say something along the lines of "The Book of Magic", there are a couple of possibilities in Latin that would work better:

"Liber Magicus" = "Magic Book"
"Liber Magorum" = "Book of the Mages" or "Book of the Magi"
"Liber Maleficorum"= "Book of the Wizards" (literally "Book of the Evil-doers")
"Liber Incantatorum" = "Book of the Wizards" or "Book of the Enchanters"

"Libram" is a form of the word "libra" which means "scales" (as in what you weigh things with). As is, the title says to a person in the know "Magic Scales" in an ungrammatical fashion.

If you want to get more authentic, you might try a title like "De Artibus Magicis" of "De Artibus Magis", both of which would mean "(A Book) Concerning the Magic Arts". Similarly, "Codex Magicus" or "Codex Magus" = "Tome of Magic".

There are other possibilities as well - let me know if you're interested and I'd be glad to lend what help I can.
SmootRK

Re: Libram Magica - Name

Post by SmootRK »

nephelegereta wrote:Sorry, I hate to be "that guy" but I am a Latin teacher by trade and the name "Libram Magica" is driving me crazy!

Not trying to be snarky or pedantic - please do not take offense!

If you are intending to say something along the lines of "The Book of Magic", there are a couple of possibilities in Latin that would work better:

"Liber Magicus" = "Magic Book"
"Liber Magorum" = "Book of the Mages" or "Book of the Magi"
"Liber Maleficorum"= "Book of the Wizards" (literally "Book of the Evil-doers")
"Liber Incantatorum" = "Book of the Wizards" or "Book of the Enchanters"

"Libram" is a form of the word "libra" which means "scales" (as in what you weigh things with). As is, the title says to a person in the know "Magic Scales" in an ungrammatical fashion.

If you want to get more authentic, you might try a title like "De Artibus Magicis" of "De Artibus Magis", both of which would mean "(A Book) Concerning the Magic Arts". Similarly, "Codex Magicus" or "Codex Magus" = "Tome of Magic".

There are other possibilities as well - let me know if you're interested and I'd be glad to lend what help I can.
I take absolutely no offense at this. I do not have any background in latin. But then again, I don't think I was trying specifically to to use Latin... just magicky words and bookish words.

Of your suggestions, I like "Codex Magicus".

I have seen Libram in many instances used for book. Wondering now where this comes from?!?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Gary Gygax used Libram. "Libram of Ineffable Damnation" being the one that springs to mind. Still don't know what ineffable means. :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ahhh the good ole "Gygax Purple Prose" ;)
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

I like Codex Incantatorum myself. Sounds more bada$$. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Despite the quite valid arguments that "Libram" is improper, it is a word widely used in the gaming world. I'm not opposed to it staying as it is.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mint

Post by Mint »

Could be a simple case of misspelling. Libram is about scales (from Libra) while Librum is about books, sheets of paper, etc. as per:

https://www.translate.com/english/librum/6534381

And:

According to Wiktionary librum is the accusative singular of liber (book) in the second declension.

Libram apparently comes from the many instances that Jack Vance used the word in his works (though not as part of a title) and which Gary Gygax then incorporated into his game (as part of a title):

http://sci.lang.narkive.com/9yJbwWNm/libram
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Bump. Stuart might be looking for an extra spot to post some spells that need adding.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

Can I simply say that everything I post in the other thread is also okay to use in this thread, and vice versa, and can you and Chris work out who wants what, and verse vica?