Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Post by Solomoriah »

I see her unkempt and unattractive, having lived in the forest alone for a very long time. She doesn't care about her appearance, because she believes that no matter what she does, she's still an ugly monster.

Originally she was to be the Big Bad, but I find her too sympathetic to use that way. So now I need another BBE? to abduct children from the town, and she'll be a red herring (and potential ally).

I'm pushing R21 to the server now, by the way, with the old Parry rule reinstated. Dodging was actually okay more or less as it was in R20, it appears to me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Oh, the young cutie turned into an unattractive woman.... She has fae blood so even if she has not put any care into his body some beauty could remain although hidden.

I like that you did not took the "poor victim turned into evil person" route.

Who knows what else lurks on the forest, maybe some relative of someone who ended up wounded trying to win Glissandra's heart has come for revenge?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Downloaded the latest version. I like the dodge and parry rules. Some notes:

There is still missing the shield bonuses.

While parrying with a shield, do I get my shield bonus? The weapon size difference only matters when parrying with a weapon or do I get a penalty when blocking a longsword with a small shield? Do I get a bonus if my weapon or shield is bigger than my opponent's weapon?

Regaining Mana Points: It says "stun" instead of "mana".
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:Oh, the young cutie turned into an unattractive woman.... She has fae blood so even if she has not put any care into his body some beauty could remain although hidden.
She might yet be beautiful, if she were cleaned up, hair tended, and put into better clothing.
Dimirag wrote:I like that you did not took the "poor victim turned into evil person" route.
That's where I started to go, but I didn't have the heart.
Dimirag wrote:Who knows what else lurks on the forest, maybe some relative of someone who ended up wounded trying to win Glissandra's heart has come for revenge?
Hmm. Not working for me.

What I really need is something truly nasty and irredeemably evil that steals children...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:Downloaded the latest version. I like the dodge and parry rules. Some notes:

There is still missing the shield bonuses.
Not missing. No shield bonus... shields don't apply to DR in a game where they are used actively to parry. This makes them potentially MORE effective than in BFRPG and basically any other similar game.
Dimirag wrote:While parrying with a shield, do I get my shield bonus? The weapon size difference only matters when parrying with a weapon or do I get a penalty when blocking a longsword with a small shield? Do I get a bonus if my weapon or shield is bigger than my opponent's weapon?
Not giving bonuses for shields, so the former part is irrelevant. Note that large shields get the bonus parry feature, so you can use them to parry twice in the round. And as of right now, not giving a bonus to parrying with a larger weapon vs. a smaller one. Plenty of numbers to keep track of as it is.
Dimirag wrote:Regaining Mana Points: It says "stun" instead of "mana".
Gah. Will fix in R22, which at the current rate will probably land tomorrow.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks for the shield clarification. You might want to remove the part where it says that having a shield increases your Defense Rating (on the Attack and Defense Rating part)

I see, something like "the man of the bag" (its one of Argentina's bogeyman, a man with a trench coat and a big bag, he steals children putting them inside the bag, it is supposedly so ugly that you freeze in terror just by looking at him)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:Thanks for the shield clarification. You might want to remove the part where it says that having a shield increases your Defense Rating (on the Attack and Defense Rating part)
Fixed, thanks.
Dimirag wrote:I see, something like "the man of the bag" (its one of Argentina's bogeyman, a man with a trench coat and a big bag, he steals children putting them inside the bag, it is supposedly so ugly that you freeze in terror just by looking at him)
Hey, nice. Or rather, not nice at all... :twisted:
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I know :twisted:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The next issue is healing. In the earlier magic system, Heal was a spell akin to Cure Light Wounds. I don't like that, though... the guy who learns that spell will be treated as a pariah if he casts anything else.

Really, clerics running around healing everyone isn't a feature of classic fantasy and fairytale fiction. It pretty much begins with the original fantasy RPG in 1974. So I'm thinking that I'd like to go a different way.

I feel like the healing potion (draught, salve, etc.) fits the milieu better. I'm going to add Alchemist to the rules as a skill, with a high cost (X3 probably) and discourage players from taking it. Not a very adventurous job, what with the whole needing a workshop thing. Healing magic would be available from apothecaries in the cities for a set price, much as any item of equipment, and would be treasure to be found, but would no longer be the responsibility of a player character.

I'm not ruling out some non-player races or even creatures that can heal (Unicorns do it already) but I don't think I want that magic in the hands of players in this game.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded R22. Lots of changes.

The order of the current book is kind of random. Way back in '84, I had it arranged as three thin books, one player book, one world book, one monster book, and that's reflected in the current layout. I'm not sure how to reorder the sections in the current version. Suggestions?