A Rather Critical Review of Morgansfort

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

A Rather Critical Review of Morgansfort

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm considering a response to this:

http://cirsova.wordpress.com/2013/03/20 ... ther-race/

... but I'd like to see some other opinions on it first. Anyone want to help me out here?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: A Rather Critical Review of Morgansfort

Post by Hywaywolf »

I wouldn't worry about it. I looked down his lists of blog posts and there is very little commenting going on so I don't think he has many followers. I could be wrong. IMO, you won't ever change his mind. As far as I am concerned, orcs, goblins, etc are all blights on civilization and need to be wiped out like the vermin they are.
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

Whoa, that is a little negative. I don't think a reply would help. If you want to defend yourself, just invite people to read it for themselves.
Raellus

Post by Raellus »

Yeah, that particular post had only one response so chances are, he's not getting much traffic. That probably says a lot. Don't feed the troll.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Raellus wrote:Yeah, that particular post had only one response so chances are, he's not getting much traffic. That probably says a lot. Don't feed the troll.
Bah... I have run all kinds of variations of Keep on the Borderlands. Killing the humanoids is generally the point. I don't see Morgansfort much differently.

Frankly, I don't really play into all this moral-relativism stuff (crapola). Orcs and Goblins and such are bad guys unless I am wanting them for other purposes. That said, I certainly don't try to rail folks into having to deal with such issues... easiest is to simply make those females and even the young pick up weapons at hand and attack the heroes (just essentially sub-par versions of the warrior/males). Choice of combating them becomes pretty simplistic when they are rushing forward with an axe in hand.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Raellus

Post by Raellus »

There's nothing in the module instructing the GM not to allow the PCs to attempt some sort of diplomatic solution (for example, forming an alliance with the orcs versus the wizard), is there? Is it a recommended requirement to slaughter the orc women and children? It's not a stated success criteria is it?

I don't know how I would handle accusations of being a racist misogynist game designer. That's some heavy stuff. On one hand, I'd really want to speak up and explain/defend myself. On the other hand, I'm not sure I would dignify or acknowledge such slander with a response. Sometimes, a defense or rationalization, no matter how justified and/or valid, will only add fuel to the proverbial fire. It's a tough place to be in.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I think she's got a point.

Hear me out, okay?

Now, she's not taking into account that reaction rolls will be a factor, and she's not taking into account that a bunch of heavily armed strangers stumbling into your home is going to make anyone anticipate a threat.

But Morgansfort is an introductory module, is it not? I think it'd be to our advantage to emphasize to GMs starting out that parley could be an option for the PCs should they wish to try it. That's something we aren't taking into account.

I think she's also right that the description of the NPCs can come off as a little problematic as well. Nothing a smart, diplomatic GM can't spin rightly, but should it need a smart, diplomatic GM in the first place?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It was the NPC issue, rather than the orcs, that I am most concerned about.

The review implies that I am racist because the servant girl has dark skin. I think this is fallacious reasoning... if I wrote a novel set in the pre-Civil War South, I'd certainly have characters who believed that dark-skinned people are naturally inferior. This in no way indicates that I believe that, only that the characters (who, of course, mimic historical people) believe so.

In actual fact, in my own campaign (for which I wrote that adventure), the people across the mountains from the kingdom of Enterone often sell their sons and daughters into indentured servitude. In Enterone, such a contract is relatively easy to break, and so those purchasing such service have to be at least somewhat fair and reasonable in their treatment of the servant. In the land to the north, Roslane, slavery is legal and common, and an indentured servant is just one step up from a slave; contracts are hard to break and penalties for fleeing service are harsh. Not that any of that is really relevant, it's just how things are in the campaign. My players are familiar with the situation and were not surprised that Saril was darker-skinned than the local Enteroneans (who have light olive skin) or the Roslanian merchant (who is pale skinned).

I'm not sure if or how I should respond. I do get the criticism about the orcs apparently "having" to be slaughtered, though my players didn't do that. Yes, the orc women will fight, and yes, even if they surrender, they will backstab anyone fool enough to look away from them. But the players accepted their surrender when their morale finally failed, and ordered them out of the dungeon without ever thinking they were truly defeated. My players aren't dumb enough to turn their backs on enemies, even those who have surrendered... but do I need to explain that in the module?

I also must admit, I wonder if there should be a timetable where the merchant's daughter could be rescued if the party moves fast enough. Something to think on, anyway.

LL... a question. Would you interpret the module as indicating my personal attitude toward women and/or people of other races? You seem to have the best grasp of the reviewer's standpoint.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Chris, ask yourself how many people have read/reviewed Morgansfort? Then ask yourself how many people have said you were racist and a misogynist? Unless you have gotten these kind of comments before I wouldn't let one guy who is basically talking to himself make you think less of yourself. And I definitely wouldn't post to his site which would not change his mind and only serve to draw more attention to his review. His is just one negative review out of quite a few positive reviews. Shake it off and move on.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:Chris, ask yourself how many people have read/reviewed Morgansfort? Then ask yourself how many people have said you were racist and a misogynist? Unless you have gotten these kind of comments before I wouldn't let one guy who is basically talking to himself make you think less of yourself. And I definitely wouldn't post to his site which would not change his mind and only serve to draw more attention to his review. His is just one negative review out of quite a few positive reviews. Shake it off and move on.
Indeed. Do not let some sort of sense of Ego cause you to give any relevance to the blogger. One small opinion there... nothing more.

But, certainly you can add a line or two of clarification or modification (as you mentioned) to future drafts (with no real effort on when it might become print).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?