DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for David Gerard's Tales from the Laughing Dragon.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#dc1
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Re: DC1 Tales from the Laughing Dragon

Post by dymondy2k »

Chris was a huge help in getting this thing up and running.. Any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreciated!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I will leave some after I run the various adventures. I'm in the process of setting up an online game with it being the beginning of the campaign.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Well here is some feedback. While prepping from a game, I came across a monster reference that was not from the core rules. It was the Skeleton Warriors. There was no additional information listed other then the basic stats
2 Skeleton Warriors: AC15, HD 1, #At 1, Dam 1d8(Scimitar), Mv 40', Sv F1, Ml 12 HP 6 , 9
so I went looking in the other supplements and found them listed in the field guide.
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 2
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage: by weapon +1
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 3d6
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 12
I immediately notice that they were different plus the hp from the module showed 9 on one of them which is not possible with a HD of a d8.

To make it fall inline with the field guide, I will be altering the stats in the module to reflect the supplement for my game. Other then that I'm liking how the module flows. I will post more later on when I start prepping for the other sections and if I discover anything else.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Thanx Metro.. I think these guys were my own take on a 'skeleton warrior' which was just a skeleton with a higher AC. Not sure how I dorked the hitpoints.. But I'll follow your lead and make them skeleton warriors from the field guide. I made the changes to my copy but will wait to see if you catch any other goofs before uploading the changes.
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Got a question on room 19 of the Ruins: Upper Level. Why scorpions? They don't fit in the theme of that level. There is undead, hobgoblins, rats, worgs, and beetles. The rats and beetles fit the theme of the area with it being in a forested area. The worgs are kept by the hobgoblins so they fit in the theme but most scorpions are listed to be found in desert or caverns, not a sealed room. I'm trying to wrap my brain around a justification of how they could exist in the ruin without any knowable food or water source. The beetles and rats can burrow out and be found in the woods hunting food but scorpions dont do that well in trying to burrow in soil and rock.

I know it is a fantasy game and such but my mind requires justification of them living in the ruins like that. What is their ecosystem and how do they survive?

Rats are scavengers and can live in the surrounding woods.
Beetles are like the rats.
The undead don't count since they are not alive.
hobgoblins are setting up a lair and have the worgs with them.
The scorpions have me scratching my head on how they could live in there.

Any suggestions?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I believe my thinking on this one was they were placed there to protect the room, along with the locked door and trap.. But since there was no treasure I'm not sure what they would be guarding. You do make a good point about the ecosystem though, these guys would be more at home to someplace warmer. How about I swap out for some spiders of comparable HD value? I use a crab spider in the keep so I could place a couple in this room as well. I'll also modify the boxed text to make it more 'spidery'. I also noticed that I mention 2 scorpions in the text and only have HP for two scorpions but the monster description said 3.. I fixed that as well when I changed them over..

I appreciate the feedback on this and please continue to question my logic.. I find I don't have any most of the time. :D
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I was going to replace in mine a crypt dweller. Just to scare and worry the players because it takes a magical weapon to hurt it. I was going to replace the dagger found in room 7 with a dagger+1 that glows continuously (about the same strength of the orb) and change the sling bullets in room 16 to sling bullets +1. With the +1 bolts in room 18 the group would have plenty of magical low level weapons but I would reduce the amount of bolts. Why would there be 50 bolts +1 laying around? I would reduce the amount.

List of magic items for my game in the upper level

Dagger+1 that continuously glows. It lights up a 15' radius.
10 sling bullets +1
15 bolts +1

That is more then enough magical items for a beginning adventure
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

OK I changed the bolts to 15.. 50 was a bit excessive.. I also noticed another reference to skeleton warriors in room 15, but decided to just change those into skeletons of the regular variety.
The Dragonclaw Barony
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I'm about to run it come wed the 9th. Got a group of 5 - 6 players that are chomping at the bit to play through it so wish me luck. If I run into any snags or make any changes I will let you know what and how I dealt with it.

I do have a few last minute questions.

I know my group will be wanting some type of incentive for their characters to go hunting for the missing gnome so what would you suggest as the carrot to dangle in front of them? I'm extremely tight fisted when it comes to gold and magical items in my game. I was figuring about 100 gold each to get the gnome back. would you consider that enough gold for them to take the bait?