Shakedown Cruise, Part 1 (Episode 1)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Shakedown Cruise -- Mission Briefing

Post by Solomoriah »

Everyone made it to the briefing on time, though Finn cut it a bit close. Commodore Becker apparently didn't believe in wasting time; he launched directly into his briefing as soon as the crew members were all seated.

"Your first mission is a simple one. You're to take Pegasus on a shakedown cruise. You'll visit a succession of stars; at each star, except as instructed, you will perform a standard cursory survey, which should take four to eight hours to complete. I know you're all familiar with the procedures for a cursory survey, so I won't waste your time and mine explaining that.

"In front of you, you each have a folder of mission information. Go ahead and open them up and let's get started.

"Your first jump will be 8.56 light years, 98.8 hours to Luyten 726-8, which in your navigational computer is listed only by its Gliese number, 65. Luyten 726-8 is a binary star system with two very nearly identical M6V stars, UV Ceti and BL Ceti. This is a challenge for you... the wormhole will drop you out beside one or the other star more or less at random. Try to figure out which one you've arrived at before you move on.

"The next jump is 8.69 light years, 98.8 hours to GJ 1061, another M6V red dwarf. GJ 1061 is already pretty well surveyed, but as this is a practice mission, you'll do a cursory survey there anyway. We don't expect you to find anything interesting; hell, nothing interesting is going to happen on this mission, so don't get your hopes up.

"Next you'll jump 5.84 light years, 77.5 hours to 82 capital-G Eridani, a nice yellow G8V star. SAS Icarus is on station there." Becker placed a cardboard box on the conference table and slid it across to Castle; it was labeled with the nuclear energy symbol and the words SAMPLES, TEST, RADIOACTIVE, MISC. "You're to rendezvous with Icarus there and deliver this package to Captain Forrester. No survey will be done there... do the rendezvous and move on.

"You'll be making a long jump 12.55 light years, 118 hours to YZ Ceti next. Note that your jump limit aboard SAS Pegasus is officially 13 light years... you'll be running her about as far as possible. YZ Ceti is another red dwarf, M5V, nothing spectacular. Do the survey and move on.

"You begin moving back toward Sol at this point, jumping 7.79 light years, 93.5 hours to Gliese 83.1, also known as TZ Arietis. Another red dwarf, M4V, etcetera. Do the survey and move on.

"Your last jump before coming home is 9.92 light years, 106.8 hours to Gliese 905, also known as Ross 248. Yes, you guessed it, red dwarf. M6V. Do the survey, then jump home. Sol will be 10.34 light years, 108.9 hours away from that point. Upon arrival at Sol, you'll return to Tranquility and debrief. Any questions?"
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Woe

Re: Shakedown Cruise, Part 1 (Episode 1)

Post by Woe »

I'm assuming the protocol is not listed in the regs.
Amanda waits a bit to see if one of the command officers has a question. If nobody speaks up, she asks "Sir, what are the rules of engagement if we encounter Taurens?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Commodore Becker frowned deeply. "Hell, who knows? It's at the Captain's discretion. Run, fight, negotiate, whatever he thinks he can do. There are no rules for this, no protocols." He ran his fingers through his graying hair, then said, "Probably won't happen, though. Hasn't been an encounter with them in six years."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Lt Scott reviews the notes he has made concerning the itinerary. "Commodore Becker," he asks, "do I have permission to discuss engine operations and parameters with the ship engineer on the SAS Icarus? I have had extensive training and have done inner system cruises with these engines, but have not yet made a jump with them. I don't anticipate any problems, but then, we never do, do we until we got alligators snapping at our posteriors."
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Steele took some time to mull things over and then queried, "Sir, what is the maximum range and fuel capacity for this ship? Just wondering what kind of a buffer we have in case we run into trouble?"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

"Sir, do you know who I could talk to for some advice about how to tell the difference between the stars you spoke of?"
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Commodore Becker looked at Lieutenant Steele for a long moment, then said, "You didn't get the ship's manual, did you?" Turning to his aide, he said, "Sergeant, see to it that the Lieutenant has a copy of the ship's manual right away."

"Now, Steele," he continued, "you won't be anywhere near the maximum range for Pegasus. You'll be flying with a full load of argon, good for almost a day of one G thrust. Nova-class ships can take on hydrogen via the scoop, if you find a suitable gas giant planet; hydrogen isn't ideal but it works. The reactor pile has a service life of five years. Oxygen and water are the real limits, and you'll have three months of both aboard... the new atmosphere scrubbers make your oxygen last much longer than on the Scorpius-class ships. We're retrofitting them, actually."

The Commodore's aide laid a thick book titled "Nova Class Ships Operation Manual -- Official Use Only" in front of Lieutenant Steele at that point.

"You other officers all have copies, right?" asked the Commodore.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

-1warrior wrote:"Sir, do you know who I could talk to for some advice about how to tell the difference between the stars you spoke of?"
The Commodore smiled. "You could figure it out from your navigation fix, if you're precise enough. If your scientist is clever enough, he might be able to get it from spectral readings." He leaned over the table and said, "Impress me."
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

"Okay Sir, I won't let you down. As for the manual, I don't think I have a copy."
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The sergeant (Technical Sergeant Miller, according to his uniform) handed a copy of the ship's manual to Castle. "Sorry you didn't get yours, sir. They were supposed to be delivered to crew members before assignment here, but I guess you left Earth too quickly."