The Lounge

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

The Lounge

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm curious if there is interest in a retro sci-fi PbP using TSGS rules. The players would be the crew of a scout rocketship, and would include:

- Captain (who is also one of the pilots)
- Copilot
- Ship's Doctor (or perhaps a medic, it's a small crew)
- Engineer
- Scientist (a civilian)

Other than the scientist, all the player characters would be members of the Solar Alliance Space Force, or just the Space Force for short.

Characters will have ability scores determined as described in the standard TSGS r2 rules, available here:

http://tower.gonnerman.org/tsgs.html

Disabilities must be well justified, or I won't allow them. Space Force members are supposed to be prime examples of humanity... if one has a disability, he or she must have some strategy for covering it up and/or dealing with it.

Instead of skills, each character will have a major profession (as given above) and a former occupation. An additional former occupation may be chosen using one of the character's ability score picks (reducing the number of available picks). An occupation may add a die to a roll, at the GM's option.

TSGS is a very narrative game. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go read the chapters from the Dirigible of Doom game. If you are not prepared to play such a game (that is, you think every problem can be solved with a blaster), this is probably not the game for you. I will reward imagination, and penalize sloppy play.

I'm going to try hard to keep this episodic, so that players can be swapped between episodes; however, PbP games are slow by nature, so be prepared for that also.

If you're interested, post your character here. The positions above are to be handed out first-come, first-served... let the feeding frenzy begin.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Retro Sci-Fi Game

Post by Solomoriah »

... so, Captain Castle, how did you end up in charge of a scoutship? How does a biologist end up in the Space Force command career track?
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

I've just printed TSGS and the Sci-Fi supplement. I'm going to read over them today. Tonight, after my toddler goes to sleep, I'll reply with a character. I'm hoping the civilian scientist will still be open by then.
Last edited by Dustinian on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustinian
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dustinian wrote:I've just printed TGS and the Sci-Fi supplement. I'm going to read over them today. Tonight, after my toddler goes to sleep, I'll reply with a character. I'm hoping the civilian scientist will still be open by then.
If you're claiming him, he's yours.

He needs to be a bit of a jack-of-all-trades in the sciences, but a focus on the physical sciences might be best. Note that it's enough to describe him that way to make it so... this is not a crunchy system.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I'll play the ship's Engineer
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:I'll play the ship's Engineer
Great, he's yours. Or rather, he's you. :D
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Geez, that went a bit long lol.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Sol, I had a couple of other things I was wondering about as well:

Are we using skills in the game (the original post didn't imply this)?

Is this the type of game where the GM will roll all the dice, or will the players use online dice rollers?

(Personally, it works better for me if the GM rolls the dice)

Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you fill out the skills per the core rules and/or sci-fi supplement, I'll use them; if you just describe your character by profession plus background info, I'll use that.

Other than skills (if you want to use them), I'm not using the sci-fi supplement. I'd have mentioned it if I were.

As for the multi-link... no. It's 1969. Any advanced technology is strictly experimental... the shipboard computer is adequate to the task of calculating courses but generally not all that valuable otherwise. For communication, your characters carry radios with a range of a few miles. The only sci-fi gear you get to carry is the Vulcan pistol.

Finn: Civilians aren't normally authorized to be armed on board a ship, and Vulcan pistols are limited to non-civilians, but there is no reason you can't carry a regular handgun if Captain Castle approves...

To be clear, this will run exactly like Dirigible of Doom (except, I hope, for the length). I'll roll all the dice, and describe results in narrative form. You tell me what your character is trying to do; staying away from game mechanical terms is advisable. Specifically, never say you're rolling for anything... say, "Finn tries to shoot the alien with his handgun" or "Lando hits the stuck valve on the reactor with his wrench" (or perhaps some less dangerous sounding things...)

I'll try to get a floorplan of the ship put together soon. This is beginning to look interesting...
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Chris, is there anything in my backstory that doesn't jive with your storyline?