Shonuff's Project Artwork

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Shonuff's Project Artwork

Post by Solomoriah »

Shonuff wrote:HEY SOL, you mean more like this?

Larger size:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o302 ... acdd8a.jpg
YEAH, that's the ticket!

I mentioned that I based it on a sculpture in my wife's garden. Coincidentally, the sequel to House of Coldarius will feature a garden... so naturally, there will be prince frogs there.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

thanks. glad you approve.

next up.. the Cadaver. (it's still in roughs stage.)

It should be done tonight.
jackel

Post by jackel »

Hey Shonuff, the arm looks funny to me. I can't put my finger on it. I think it's the way the arm comes up from the elbow. The upper line ( from elbow to hand) looks like it come up too far. I know this is a rough draft, so it might look different, but I thought I'd mention it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

jackel wrote:Hey Shonuff, the arm looks funny to me. I can't put my finger on it. I think it's the way the arm comes up from the elbow. The upper line ( from elbow to hand) looks like it come up too far. I know this is a rough draft, so it might look different, but I thought I'd mention it.
The foot/feet also seem a bit out of proportion here. Perhaps just optically odd at this point... something that seems better as you polish it up further.

I think the arm thing is just due to the how that cowl part works there. Perhaps if the cowl comes down more to cover more of the arm/shoulder part. It currently looks like the arm covers the cowl there in an odd/awkward way.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Well, you tell me if I fixed your critiques.

Original Size:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o302 ... e64e08.jpg
jackel

Post by jackel »

Shonuff, yes that fixed it. I do have a suggestion. On the slevee between the knee and the cuff make a hole to expose more of the arm. I know that the slevee is torn and is hanging down, however in a way the forearm appears bigger at the first couple of looks.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Well, I am no critic but....

lol just kidding. Don't all your bad comments begin with something like that. :lol:

Looks great to me. These always seem better in the cleaned up than in rough stages.

I do think that if you pivot that bracer and hand a tad to better line up with the forearm portion, it would take out some of the awkwardness of how that arm looks. What you have is likely anatomically correct beneath the coverings, but it comes out a little odd, and something one has to think through to decide it is OK after all. Perhaps just one of those odd perspective quirks that the mind plays at first glance.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

thanks Jackel and Smoot.

Yeah I work alot more when going into the pen stage when i'm cleaning up the shape. i know it sounds wierd, alot of people use the rough stage to work out position and perspecive and form, but i mainly just use the roughs to get the idea from brain to paper, then touch up the form and etc in the ink stage.

As for the arm and bracer:

This guy is undead. I wanted to show his body may not be 100% "together". Maybe the arm is broken, or dislocated. I wanted him looking like he is a walking dead body with the problems that come along from fighting other undead or living adventurers.

I want people not to see i drew a perfect form of a person and just "decorated it undead. I want the form to be just "off" enough to know something is wrong with the thing. Maybe i'm trying to be too creative in my art, but i like leaving things to make people go beyond looking at the picture and going " oh...a zombie". (worked for you two didn't it? :) )

I'll toy with a overlay and see if I can keep the offsetting image while cleaning up the bracer.

**EDIT** also. the arm is actually a hands length to long, due to the fact the monster entry says they fight with their hand and attack with their fists. i wanted to accentuate they are in fact pugilists. maybe i'm a wierdo, but i 'll see what happens when i fix the arms.
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Okay, so i'm working on a new full page piece that i am going to make after a scenario from Sunday's game.

The high-ish-level PCs are in an abandoned and Essentially a ghost town. (Think Roanoke Colony, Virginia, meets Silent Hill) They entire town is haunted, and the PCs, led by two female paladins. PCs fight their way through some scary terrifying things, to the point one of the PCs asks for a break to go smoke a cigarette. They're ragged, in good health, but definitely turned the AD&D campaign into a scary Cthuluhu town. So, fighting down into the found underhalls, in a fight against a Psionic Lich. The lich is a major villan and BBEG in my campaign world, so the PCs gave it everything they had.

Using other undead to whittle them down, the Lich slowly drops everyone in the party. Each player hands me their charcter sheet for my popular "Wall of Dead" (corkboard with dead char sheets. I draw how they die with a sharpie on the character sheet.) Nearing a TPK, leaving the lone cleric on his feet, the Cleric makes an oath to his Deity he will lay the Lich to rest. After he finishes, I laugh as evily and darkly as i can, and the cleric's player makes a face of pure confusion. "The lich raises a rod in his hand
And I finish roleplaying the incantations and movements." I make a few rolls behind the screen.

Cleric player " .........."
me: "................................"
others at table: WELL?? What Happened???
Cleric player "Simple, He's dead. I charge him"
Me: *Smile darkly and hand back each player their dead character sheets except the two paladins.*
Cleric player: "..........?? what?"
me: "Everyone who just got their character sheets back, You are now an undead servant of the lich. Your HD is half your current level, You are turned as *Special*. Oh, and you're permanently charmed by the lich." *Smiles again* "Everyone roll initiative."

Paladin players: "Why not us?"
me: "Your gods are pleased, and rebuked the spell, your souls are resting."
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »